PDA

View Full Version : My 10 Discus arrived

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Hi All,

Wanted to post a couple pics of my new fish. These are ten I purchased from DiscusUSA (which are 'Tony Tan Discus'). He apparently hand picked some of his best fish for my order and included what may be a probable blue scorpion pair. I'm not an expert but they look pretty good to me so I'm pleased.

The ten new fish are in a 180 gallon acrylic. The sump came as part of the package - it is 30gallons, which is small but I guess a bigger one couldn't fit in the stand. I'm also running a Fluval FX6 with 2 trays of Purigen and 1 tray of ceramic bio media.

The driftwood is actually cut from the roots of a dead Casuarina tree. There is a stretch of beach here where the maritime authority cut down these trees years ago due to storm risk, leaving the stumps with roots exposed.

Note that the photos of the fish were taken an hour after unpacking so I think it'll be a while before their full colors come in.

Clawhammer
10-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Beautiful tank and fish! Well Done!!

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Beautiful tank and fish! Well Done!!

Thanks Eric, it's an end to the planning and waiting, now the real work begins taking good care of them:)

Jenene
10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Wow! Gorgeous tank! I love the wood. The texture and shape is amazing. I am not a fan of the Mopani wood in my tank. The fish will be very happy in there... Envious!

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2016, 09:28 AM
It is a gorgeous tank. Be sure to check for ammonia/nitrites the first week until your BB catches up with the new bio-load. :)
Pat

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Wow! Gorgeous tank! I love the wood. The texture and shape is amazing. I am not a fan of the Mopani wood in my tank. The fish will be very happy in there... Envious!

Hi Jenene,

Thanks, I spent about 3 hours dremmeling the cut surfaces but I really could have spent more time.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 09:40 AM
It is a gorgeous tank. Be sure to check for ammonia/nitrites the first week until your BB catches up with the new bio-load. :)
Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes, and I'll also be doing large daily water changes.

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi Pat,

Yes, and I'll also be doing large daily water changes.

Cool and that is the best way to control mini-cycles. :)
Pat

jmf3460
10-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Kenny,

Beautiful tank and that piece of wood is so different and perfect the fish look very happy and have plenty of swimming room. Great job!

Ryan925
10-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Great looking tank. That piece of wood is perfect

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Kenny,

Beautiful tank and that piece of wood is so different and perfect the fish look very happy and have plenty of swimming room. Great job!

Thanks Jacklyn,

I actually cut four root sections and this one seemed to work best.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Great looking tank. That piece of wood is perfect

Thanks Ryan,

Davidzil
10-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Very nice!

nemo24
10-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Tank and discus with decor look Amazing.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Very nice!

Thank you Davidzil

adrian31@outlook.com
10-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Tank and discus with decor look Amazing.

Hey Nemo, thanks. You were right I do like the Altum Floras, their pattern break is a nice addition to the group of mostly solid colors imo.

rickztahone
10-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Cool sump set up. Do you like the wet/dry? I'm not a huge fan of bio balls

Ryan925
10-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Cool sump set up. Do you like the wet/dry? I'm not a huge fan of bio balls

Good question. I was considering a large wet/dry. That one looks like the eshopps one.

I am about to start my first sump build. Decided against the wet/dry just because I wanted to add some water volume to my system as well as fluidized bed

Your tank looks great. Look forward to seeing your updates and how it progresses

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Good question. I was considering a large wet/dry. That one looks like the eshopps one.

I am about to start my first sump build. Decided against the wet/dry just because I wanted to add some water volume to my system as well as fluidized bed

Your tank looks great. Look forward to seeing your updates and how it progresses

Ricardo and Ryan:

I wasn't sure what bio media was coming with my sump so purchased a 5 Liter bucket of Eheim Substrate Pro which I read was really good. I'm now considering replacing the bottom portion of the bio balls with the Eheim. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 07:24 AM

Hi Ryan,

This is my first sump. I read up some on the topic to try to prepare myself for setting mine up, but this one was different from the examples I'd read about. Mine has a running capacity of ~70% maximum water so as not to overflow the top when there is a power outage. At that level when I power off the pump the water in the sump rises to about 1/2" from the top.

I read that ideally a sump should be at least 25% of your aquarium volume. By that standard mine is small, but at least it's still larger than multi-canisters, and the compact design works well with my setup.

Kenny

Kyla
10-29-2016, 08:22 AM
love the tank and fish, cant wait to see them all settled in. i also spent forever dremmelling my wood, my hands felt all weird and vibratey after lol, it was def worth the effort cuz it looks very lovely and unique, one of a kind centrepiece for sure.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 08:44 AM
love the tank and fish, cant wait to see them all settled in. i also spent forever dremmelling my wood, my hands felt all weird and vibratey after lol, it was def worth the effort cuz it looks very lovely and unique, one of a kind centrepiece for sure.

Hi Kayla:

I had to do the dremmelling in stages; dremel then soak a few days and observe. I had the wood six weeks so I could take my time.

Jenene
10-29-2016, 08:44 AM
You have inspired me to find a better piece of wood. The Mopani is really small and one piece constantly grows a smelly fungus on it. After seeing yours I realized I need some height without taking away swimming area so I found this piece. It doesn't stand up on it's own but they are sending me some small pieces I can drill into it and maybe make some kind of feet. I would like it up off the surface like yours is so I can vacuum under it without dragging it around the tank. Here is a pic. Not as elegant as yours but kind of interesting. Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful tank and fish. Enjoy them! 103272

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 09:29 AM
You have inspired me to find a better piece of wood. The Mopani is really small and one piece constantly grows a smelly fungus on it. After seeing yours I realized I need some height without taking away swimming area so I found this piece. It doesn't stand up on it's own but they are sending me some small pieces I can drill into it and maybe make some kind of feet. I would like it up off the surface like yours is so I can vacuum under it without dragging it around the tank. Here is a pic. Not as elegant as yours but kind of interesting. Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful tank and fish. Enjoy them! 103272

I think the piece is beautiful. I had to cut a hole in the foot of mine and silicone in another piece of wood to get mine to stand comfortably. I was thinking about how the wood would stand when I was cutting it, but the roots were so intertwined, plus I was standing in tidal water, made it difficult to accomplish.

Ryan925
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Ricardo and Ryan:

I wasn't sure what bio media was coming with my sump so purchased a 5 Liter bucket of Eheim Substrate Pro which I read was really good. I'm now considering replacing the bottom portion of the bio balls with the Eheim. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kenny

I use the substrat pro in my eheim canister. No complaints. I feel it works well as my water is always crystal clear and params are always where they should be. I have a mix of substrat pro and matrix. That media will be going into my sump along with purigen and K1

rickztahone
10-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Ricardo and Ryan:

Kenny

The eheim media is good and far better than the bio balls. However, is your sump a trickle one or can be set up to be submerged?

I really like the Sera media and is used amongst reefers frequently now a days. It is called Siporax.

If you haven't already, take a look at my sump set up. It is in my signature

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 11:46 AM
The eheim media is good and far better than the bio balls. However, is your sump a trickle one or can be set up to be submerged?

I really like the Sera media and is used amongst reefers frequently now a days. It is called Siporax.

If you haven't already, take a look at my sump set up. It is in my signature

Hi Ricardo,

Mine is trickle so I will probably replace a portion of the bio balls with the Eheim media. So it would be a bottom layer of the Eheim media (submerged) and a top layer of bio balls at the top for the water trickle.

EDIT: nice overflow & sump, I've never seen that before.

Jenene
10-29-2016, 01:00 PM
I think the piece is beautiful. I had to cut a hole in the foot of mine and silicone in another piece of wood to get mine to stand comfortably. I was thinking about how the wood would stand when I was cutting it, but the roots were so intertwined, plus I was standing in tidal water, made it difficult to accomplish.

You are lucky you found such a beautiful piece on your own. I live on the edge of Lake Ontario but I am not sure I would want to put anything in my Discus tank that came out of there- even after boiling it. (-: You can't tell you added anything to help it stand up. It looks amazing. Hoping I can get mine to stand up without ruining the look of it.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 03:12 PM
You are lucky you found such a beautiful piece on your own. I live on the edge of Lake Ontario but I am not sure I would want to put anything in my Discus tank that came out of there- even after boiling it. (-: You can't tell you added anything to help it stand up. It looks amazing. Hoping I can get mine to stand up without ruining the look of it.

The root formations have been there for some years and I think the saltwater tides must have cured the wood somewhat as it's pretty solid for the most part. At least one other person had the same idea as me, there are previous cuttings there. I could have another look to see if there's anything worthwhile left. What size is your tank?

Filip
10-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Great discus tank Kenny . Enjoy their growth and please keep us posted with progres pics regulary .

adrian31@outlook.com
10-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Great discus tank Kenny . Enjoy their growth and please keep us posted with progres pics regulary .

Thanks Filip,

They are getting settled, some are still not eating though. Hopefully they will all settle in a week or two. The three dominant ones showed their colors just a few hours after I unpacked them and ate right away (then I got an email from the breeder telling me not to feed them on the first day). The ones that ate right away are the supposed pair of blue scorpions and a white butterfly. A few more started eating the next day, but still waiting for four out of the bunch.

I'll update with photos after they're settled.

Kenny

angeliqu53@gmail.com
10-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Good afternoon,
After seeing your post I went to view the website of Discus USA. All the fish look to be healthy. Before making a purchase from them, I wanted to make sure all your fish were still doing well.

Angelique'

adrian31@outlook.com
10-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Good afternoon,
After seeing your post I went to view the website of Discus USA. All the fish look to be healthy. Before making a purchase from them, I wanted to make sure all your fish were still doing well.

Angelique'

Hi Angelique,

My two yellow checkerboards layed flat on the bottom of my tank as soon as I unpacked them. They hung on for some time but the second one died yesterday. David at DiscusUSA said the reason is because he packed for passenger air freight instead of a cargo flight, which my freight forwarder uses. He insisted he would credit these two to me. He actually contacted me to follow up and that's when I told him about it. I'm used to once merchandise passes an international border any warranty is void:) So that was decent of him and much appreciated. I'm ordering a 5" Blue Angel and a 5" Super Galaxy Turquoise, so I'll end up with 12 Discus total which is where I'd like the number to stay at.

The other eight fish all seem to be very hardy, as of today all are eating besides one.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
10-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Hi Angelique,

My two yellow checkerboards layed flat on the bottom of my tank as soon as I unpacked them...

Kenny

Angelique:

After discussing my new order last night with David I realize that ammonia poisoning had something to do with my two Yellow Checkerboards dying. I mentioned that I saw feces in their bags and he explained the situation in more detail.

If you order from them make sure and let them know any details about type of shipping they'll be going on, and the duration of the journey before it reaches you, so he can pack and sedate the fish accordingly.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Picture Update:

My fish are very active and are begging me for food so I guess they're 'settled'. See a few new pics below. They seem to refuse to take good pictures and I've gotta be the worst photographer. I think I'll have my kids do the next ones...

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Hi All,

I have a question about Discus fin extension behavior. The fish I have now are all around 5" and I noticed they don't have their fins fully extended all the time, only sometimes. Note that there is very little bullying and the fish appear very hardy/healthy. When I had my previous batch of six 2.5" it seemed their fins were always fully extended unless they were being bullied or sick.

What is normal Discus behavior for fin extension/clamping? Do Discus fully extend their fins less as they get older? My current fish seem to go about their business usually with fins only partially extended (like 30%-40% extended). There is a lot more space in my current situation compared to the six 2.5" I had in the 55 gallon - might having more swimming space have something to do with it?

thanks in advance,

Second Hand Pat
11-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi Kenny, in my experience generally discus always have their fins extended. Since these fish are pretty new they could be settling in. There could also be a mini-cycle happening (new bio-load in new tank and the BB needs to catchup) or could be nitrates. Generally large daily water changes is your best friend in these cases.
Pat

Filip
11-01-2016, 10:50 AM
What's your current water flow Adrian ?
I notice that when some of mine rest in the high waterflow areas ,cant loose themselves enough to get their up and down fins erected. They get that "swimming against " position .

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Hi Kenny, in my experience generally discus always have their fins extended. Since these fish are pretty new they could be settling in. There could also be a mini-cycle happening (new bio-load in new tank and the BB needs to catchup) or could be nitrates. Generally large daily water changes is your best friend in these cases.
Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for letting me know this.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 11:39 AM
What's your current water flow Adrian ?
I notice that when some of mine rest in the high waterflow areas ,cant loose themselves enough to get their up and down fins erected. They get that "swimming against " position .

Hi Philip:

I'm really pleased with the water flow of my filter; the filter outputs disturb most of the surface water but the flow beneath the surface is a gentle flow, except in close proximity to the outputs. The fish swim without any struggle against flow. With the Fluval FX6 I'm running, the input & output hoses are in the sump.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Ok, so I placed my second order for five more Discus:

Two Mercury Blue Angels 5"-6" (these are dark solid blue)
One Golden San Merah 4.5" - 5"
One Super Galaxy Turquoise 4.5" - 5"
One Red Dragon 5"-6"

In time I will probably take my least favorite fish out (give it away to someone), leaving me with twelve Discus in the tank, which is the number I would like to have. The new fish will arrive on 24-Nov so in about three weeks. They're from the same breeder DiscusUSA.

Really enjoying my new tank and fish now but there seems to be alot of empty space currently. I think with the new fish they'll be more comfortable in greater numbers and perhaps able to school more.

DanDiscus
11-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Hi Philip:

I'm really pleased with the water flow of my filter; the filter outputs disturb most of the surface water but the flow beneath the surface is a gentle flow, except in close proximity to the outputs. The fish swim without any struggle against flow. With the Fluval FX6 I'm running, the input & output hoses are in the sump.

Kenny

Hi Kenny.... great tank and decor !!! I like it.

About the fins and flow. Chech this video and compare.

https://youtu.be/BYYgbk3qYRw

Is from last weekend. I belive my return pump is ~400-500 G per hour (will check at my return to home in 2 days, and will confirm). And the tank is 75 G.

Nice orders are you getting there !!! Enjoy them.

Best
Daniel

Ps: mine are Stendker with exception of 3. If video quality is not good, you can increase it to 1080 using the youtube menu at the top righ (3 dots).

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Kenny.... great tank and decor !!! I like it.

About the fins and flow. Chech this video and compare.

https://youtu.be/BYYgbk3qYRw

Is from last weekend. I belive my return pump is ~400-500 G per hour (will check at my return to home in 2 days, and will confirm). And the tank is 75 G.

Nice orders are you getting there !!! Enjoy them.

Best
Daniel

Ps: mine are Stendker with exception of 3. If video quality is not good, you can increase it to 1080 using the youtube menu at the top righ (3 dots).

Daniel:

Wow, they are beautiful fish, each of them. Did you personally hand-pick them yourself? How big are they in the video? Hopefully with my new order I'll get some more color to my bunch. I hope the Red Dragon I ordered looks like yours.

Kenny

DanDiscus
11-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Daniel:

Wow, they are beautiful fish, each of them. Did you personally hand-pick them yourself? How big are they in the video? Hopefully with my new order I'll get some more color to my bunch. I hope the Red Dragon I ordered looks like yours.

Kenny

Thank you Kenny !! I have 3 from rhe LFS and 8 from Discus Hans. I mixed them without knowing I can't. It was too late when I knew. But so far so good !!!.

The 8 Stendker were picked by Hans. It was an online order. They are very active and eat as pigs ... LOL.

They were all ~4". Most of them are now between 4,5-5 " and i am more than happy if they stay at the 5" size. I am not targeting to have xl fish. Keeping them healthy and happy is my target now.

This is a month old video of them eating.

https://youtu.be/PEyznIjmYm0

They have been in the tank for 3 months now.

Your dicus will be bigger and they are already very pretty. You have a big tank.

DanDiscus
11-01-2016, 09:32 PM
BTW.... I have some special LEDs in the tank that enhance the fish colors. Plus I also have blue/white LEDs.

DanDiscus
11-01-2016, 09:37 PM
I have 2 of these LEDs to enhance the colors (2×24 ")

Finnex Monster Ray Aquarium Color Enhancing LED Strip, 24-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP6QGU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2lugybPR9K7QX

And have also a 48" standar marine blue/white LEDs fixture

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 10:52 PM
BTW.... I have some special LEDs in the tank that enhance the fish colors. Plus I also have blue/white LEDs.

I have these 'Satellite Current' LEDs which I don't know how to fully use yet. Maybe I can adjust mine.

RE: Discus eating: I used to have six adult red-bellied piranhas in a 125 gal, your fish remind me of them lol:)

adrian31@outlook.com
11-01-2016, 10:54 PM
I have 2 of these LEDs to enhance the colors (2×24 ")

Finnex Monster Ray Aquarium Color Enhancing LED Strip, 24-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP6QGU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2lugybPR9K7QX

And have also a 48" standar marine blue/white LEDs fixture

Thanks I might look into something like this, I don't like the way mine sit on the aquarium top.

DanDiscus
11-02-2016, 07:52 AM
I have these 'Satellite Current' LEDs which I don't know how to fully use yet. Maybe I can adjust mine.

RE: Discus eating: I used to have six adult red-bellied piranhas in a 125 gal, your fish remind me of them lol:)

You are sooo funny about the piranhas homology. But in a certain way you are not too far. When I put my hands to attach the FDBW cube to the glass, all the discus start to bite my hand. And they bite hard. My hand is like a big steak for them.....just not tender at all to be eaten..... LOL.

Ryan925
11-03-2016, 12:44 AM

The satellite is a better light than the monster ray. You just need to play with it.

I have a finnex 24/7 and a finnex stingray

The monster ray is just a combo of red blue green led. I was using a finnex stingray to make the fish "pop" along with my finnex 24/7. Lately I have just been running a custom color on my 24/7 with stingray off which gives the tank a more natural look.

You just need to play with settings on yours and adjust it to your liking. Everyones fish/tank combo is different. That's why adjustable leds are great.

I mush prefer the less light now than the really bright full spectrum. To each their own if course

adrian31@outlook.com
11-03-2016, 04:35 AM
The satellite is a better light than the monster ray. You just need to play with it.

I have a finnex 24/7 and a finnex stingray

The monster ray is just a combo of red blue green led. I was using a finnex stingray to make the fish "pop" along with my finnex 24/7. Lately I have just been running a custom color on my 24/7 with stingray off which gives the tank a more natural look.

You just need to play with settings on yours and adjust it to your liking. Everyones fish/tank combo is different. That's why adjustable leds are great.

I mush prefer the less light now than the really bright full spectrum. To each their own if course

Hi Ryan,

I only glanced at the instruction booklet when I was setting up but there appear to be adjustable settings on the remotes. I'll play with these and see what it can do.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm posting these two pics for a member who's trying to decide on a purchase:

adrian31@outlook.com
11-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

Ok, finally got some better pics, my daughter took them minutes ago. They're extremely friendly now, and always inquisitive and crowding around my hands when I'm cleaning the tank. My first batch of Discus were nothing like this. These are true pets that you can grow close to.

DanDiscus
11-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Very pretty!!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Very pretty!!

Thanks, I really like them. Being from a good breeder I assume they'll grow out nicely given the proper care. I think I've learned enough now to be able to give them that. So far so good.

Ryan925
11-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks, I really like them. Being from a good breeder I assume they'll grow out nicely given the proper care. I think I've learned enough now to be able to give them that. So far so good.

Great group. I really like the scorpion and the white butterfly

adrian31@outlook.com
11-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Great group. I really like the scorpion and the white butterfly

The patterned scorpion and white butterfly are the two most dominant ones, and seem to eat the most. Funny that in a way they also look the nicest imo.

Ryan925
11-03-2016, 11:08 PM
The patterned scorpion and white butterfly are the two most dominant ones, and seem to eat the most. Funny that in a way they also look the nicest imo.

They are great looking fish. If your fish are anything like mine though you will see changes in that pecking order over time.

Nice looking fish loon forward to seeing them mature.

If you haven't started a tank journal I would do one. I wish I had from the beginning. I had to make one and backtrack for a few months.

Fish are much like puppies you might not notice the growth as much as people that don't see them everyday. I try to take a good pic of each fish once or twice per month to document growth and change.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-04-2016, 08:31 AM
They are great looking fish. If your fish are anything like mine though you will see changes in that pecking order over time.

Nice looking fish loon forward to seeing them mature.

If you haven't started a tank journal I would do one. I wish I had from the beginning. I had to make one and backtrack for a few months.

Fish are much like puppies you might not notice the growth as much as people that don't see them everyday. I try to take a good pic of each fish once or twice per month to document growth and change.

Ryan,

That's a good idea, I'll have to contract my daughter for monthly pictures:)

Kenny

Ryan925
11-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Ryan,

That's a good idea, I'll have to contract my daughter for monthly pictures:)

Kenny

The change is astonishing when you can go back and reference photos.

rickztahone
11-04-2016, 11:41 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103712&d=1478224130
Really nice discus. Was this sold to you as a scorpion?

adrian31@outlook.com
11-04-2016, 11:29 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103712&d=1478224130
Really nice discus. Was this sold to you as a scorpion?

Yes, along with the other blue in my pics. Why do you ask?

rickztahone
11-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Yes, along with the other blue in my pics. Why do you ask?

Reminded me of a scorpion I used to have years and years ago

Jenene
11-04-2016, 11:58 PM
The root formations have been there for some years and I think the saltwater tides must have cured the wood somewhat as it's pretty solid for the most part. At least one other person had the same idea as me, there are previous cuttings there. I could have another look to see if there's anything worthwhile left. What size is your tank?

Hi Kenny,
I just saw this last post I had forgotten to subscribe to it. My tank is a standard 75 gallon. That is so kind of you to offer but I would not want to send you back out there again unless you would be going back for yourself as well! So very thoughtful though! Honestly I am finding some really nice people on this forum. I hope you will continue to update us with photos so I can enjoy your tank!
Thank you again for your generous offer!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-05-2016, 06:49 AM
Hi Kenny,
I just saw this last post I had forgotten to subscribe to it. My tank is a standard 75 gallon. That is so kind of you to offer but I would not want to send you back out there again unless you would be going back for yourself as well! So very thoughtful though! Honestly I am finding some really nice people on this forum. I hope you will continue to update us with photos so I can enjoy your tank!
Thank you again for your generous offer!

Hi Jenene,

I'll take another look in a few months after the rainy season. Besides I got this nice cordless sawsall for that project now have nothing else to use it for; It felt very 'out doorsy' there on the beach cutting these roots with my wife & kids watching in awe:)

Jenene
11-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Hi Jenene,

I'll take another look in a few months after the rainy season. Besides I got this nice cordless sawsall for that project now have nothing else to use it for; It felt very 'out doorsy' there on the beach cutting these roots with my wife & kids watching in awe:)

A great excuse to use power tools!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-05-2016, 08:59 AM
A great excuse to use power tools!

lol:)

ebaybrad
11-06-2016, 12:20 AM
That driftwood is spectacular!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-06-2016, 10:45 AM
That driftwood is spectacular!

Thanks Brad,

I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, which was unexpected. I'd figured that I've got to be able to get something to use living where I do surrounded by water, glad I remembered that location I'd cycled past one time.

Kenny

DanDiscus
11-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Hi Kenny

How are those Discus going on ?

Cheers
Daniel

adrian31@outlook.com
11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi Kenny

How are those Discus going on ?

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Dan,

I found my solid blue scorpion on the floor two mornings ago, must have jumped out the tank lid which I left cracked after feeding the night before. Needless to say I was shocked; this one and the patterned blue scorpion were acting like they were going to mate for the last 4-5 days prior, ate well and were very healthy.

Besides this, one of my Red Rubies hasn't eaten well since I first got him. He's a little smaller than the rest so I attributed it to him feeling shy among the larger fish. But I've watched him carefully over the last week and noticed he isn't eating at all but spits everything out. I'm planning to clean and get my 55gal ready as a hospital tank to treat him for Hex.

My two Altum Floras are about the size of the Ruby Red that isn't eating. They both eat, but not nearly as much as the last three - Patterned Blue Scorpion, my large Ruby Red, and large White Butterfly, all three of which seem to always have a ravenous appetite and appear to be growing even larger in the short time I've had them.

Thanks for asking.

DanDiscus
11-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Hi Kenny

This is the second post that someone says that the discus jumped. I will be very careful with my lid.

About the non or poor eating fish, I had one not eating nothing for 3 weeks if not a little bit more. He/she was doing as yours, rejecting the food. I was waiting to find him dead any day soon. At that time I was reading about the australian FDBW. I ordered the smallest bag size to test it. When I added the first cube, sudenly this weakened discus left his corner of the tank and went to bite the cube. He started slowly to eat FDBW. After a week he was stronger and started to fight for the cube "let me bite too". Then he discovered that the others were such a mess eating that a lot of FDBW can be eaten without going near the cube. At week 2 he started to eat flakes. He learned that the best way to eat a lot was scavenging all the food in the floor in the meantime the others compite for the floating fakes or bitting the cube. Bottom line, he/she is now a happy fatty fish growing and reaching in size some of his friends in the tank.

Wish you the best with the guy.

All will go OK.

Daniel

adrian31@outlook.com
11-15-2016, 05:18 AM
Hi Kenny

This is the second post that someone says that the discus jumped. I will be very careful with my lid.

About the non or poor eating fish, I had one not eating nothing for 3 weeks if not a little bit more. He/she was doing as yours, rejecting the food. I was waiting to find him dead any day soon. At that time I was reading about the australian FDBW. I ordered the smallest bag size to test it. When I added the first cube, sudenly this weakened discus left his corner of the tank and went to bite the cube. He started slowly to eat FDBW. After a week he was stronger and started to fight for the cube "let me bite too". Then he discovered that the others were such a mess eating that a lot of FDBW can be eaten without going near the cube. At week 2 he started to eat flakes. He learned that the best way to eat a lot was scavenging all the food in the floor in the meantime the others compite for the floating fakes or bitting the cube. Bottom line, he/she is now a happy fatty fish growing and reaching in size some of his friends in the tank.

All will go OK.

Daniel

Daniel,

That's really something, maybe my non-eating ruby red has hope. I've been alternating frozen BH/bloodworms and tetra color granules (which they stopped eating), but I just ordered AL's FDBWs last week and should receive soon. I look forward to giving them a try.

Kenny

DanDiscus
11-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Kenny..... I was thinking about the discus that jumped. I read at Stendker's site that they are very sensitive to changes. For example, lighting suddenly a dark room can make they crash to the glass tank and die. They suggest to avoid sudden changes around the tank. They suggest leaving a soft light during night , in the room or above the tank. Due to those comments, I added a cheap LED strip with a dimmer to my canopy. I regulated it at night to provide a very soft light, but enought to not be dark. Very soft. It is connected to a timer too.

Another idea that probably can help.

Best
Daniel

DanDiscus
11-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Another thing that happened to me.

After receiving the Stendker discus, they all eat poorly for some days (~1-2 weeks) and slowly started to eat more and more. Also they got white spots. I though that was ich, but after reading and looking for info on ich and discus, i found that it was something different (parasite , men I can't remember now) and they were harmless. With time they have to go. And that happened, after 2-3 weeks. By that time all discus, with exception of the one mentioned previously. were eating, extending well the fins and coloring well. They went at that time through a darkening period too. Not too much, but color wasn't vibrant as they are today.

Personal experiences that thankfully finished well.

Best Daniel

adrian31@outlook.com
11-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Hi Daniel:

Thanks for sharing all of this. I might leave one of the very dark settings on through the night, my wife would love this, she thinks the tank is a nightlight, lol. How my solid blue found the one crack to jump out is beyond me. In fact I've never seen any of them 'jumpy' at all, they've all been really mellow and don't even seem to mind when I'm cleaning the tank.

It's now been 2 weeks and 5 days since I received my fish. Some of have started to eat better so I suppose they're still settling in. I'll wait and see how they progress. I just wish they could all be like the 3 who ate really well from day 1.

One thing I feel good about is keeping everything immaculate for them - water, tank, etc. I guess this is biggest thing I have control over.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Hi all,

Update: I should receive five more fish from DiscusUSA in two days (Thursday). He sent me below pics & video of these in his holding/shipping prep tank:

Two Mercury Blue Angels 5"-6"
One Galaxy Turquoise 4.5"-5"
One Red Dragon 5"-6"
One Golden San Merah 4.5"-5"

video:

https://www.facebook.com/kennyaparsons/videos/vb.1475686182/10211150012134250/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1479821162797750

Of the ten fish from my first batch received ~4 weeks ago, only six remain:

Two Yellow Checkboards died within 3 days of ammonia poisoning due to flaw in packing.
One Yellow Checkboard never ate and died in 2 weeks (possible ammonia poisoning?).
One Blue Diamond jumped out of a crack I left in the tank lid the night before after feeding. I couldn't believe it the next morning. No more cracks from now on. This one was almost certainly getting ready to mate with my other Blue Diamond.

David at DiscusUSA credited me three fish which I applied to my current order.

Ryan925
11-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Unfortunate about the losses but nice to see David stands behind his product

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Unfortunate about the losses but nice to see David stands behind his product

Yeah that was decent of him, after telling him he insisted on giving the credit.

Phillydubs
11-22-2016, 03:30 PM
That is rough to hear... sorry about all that you have had to go through...

For what it is worth what you have left looks rather nice.

That is also nice to hear that the seller offered a credit...

What did you get in the new order?

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2016, 03:37 PM
That is rough to hear... sorry about all that you have had to go through...

For what it is worth what you have left looks rather nice.

That is also nice to hear that the seller offered a credit...

What did you get in the new order?

Thanks Phil,

My wife thinks I'm crazy with the work I put in each day and my fish still dying...:) My new order will arrive in two days (see pics a few posts above):

Two Mercury Blue Angels 5"-6"
One Galaxy Turquoise 4.5"-5"
One Red Dragon 5"-6"
One Golden San Merah 4.5"-5"

The six I currently have left are:
One Blue Scorpion ~5"
Two Red Ruby ~4" and 5"
Two Altum Floras ~4" and 4.5"
One White Butterfly ~4.5"

Kenny

Jenene
11-22-2016, 04:05 PM
You had a really rough start but your new stock look amazing. Hopefully things will align and you will have a tank full of beautiful, healthy fish. Your heart is in it- you will succeed.
My family thinks I am crazy as well and mine at this point are healthy...I still get flack. That is why this forum is here. We all have a common goal here and love to talk about this wonderful passion of ours.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2016, 04:17 PM
You had a really rough start but your new stock look amazing. Hopefully things will align and you will have a tank full of beautiful, healthy fish. Your heart is in it- you will succeed.
My family thinks I am crazy as well and mine at this point are healthy...I still get flack. That is why this forum is here. We all have a common goal here and love to talk about this wonderful passion of ours.

Hi Jenene:

"....tank full of beautiful, healthy fish" that is my goal to be sure. If I achieve this then I'll be content to tinker with my filtration like maybe get a purigen reactor, things like that. My wife won't let me have even a second tank so my 55gal sits empty in the garage:)

Kenny

Jenene
11-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Hi Jenene:

"....tank full of beautiful, healthy fish" that is my goal to be sure. If I achieve this then I'll be content to tinker with my filtration like maybe get a purigen reactor, things like that. My wife won't let me have even a second tank so my 55gal sits empty in the garage:)

Kenny

You will get there Kenny. What has happened so far was out of your control and a fluke of bad luck on the jumping.

As far as a second tank, most likely your wife has seen you effected by the loss of your fish and doesn't want to see you work so hard and suffer those losses. I had a QT going for my new arrivals and it was a small tank but added a lot of extra work and double the equipment. Having a tank of not quite fully grown Discus means a lot of water changes and the small tank as well. I give people a lot of credit who have multiple tanks going. It is a job in itself.

Can't wait to see your tank of beautiful healthy fish Kenny. It will be all the more sweeter when you get there. We will be watching for it :)

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2016, 05:28 PM
You will get there Kenny. What has happened so far was out of your control and a fluke of bad luck on the jumping.

As far as a second tank, most likely your wife has seen you effected by the loss of your fish and doesn't want to see you work so hard and suffer those losses. I had a QT going for my new arrivals and it was a small tank but added a lot of extra work and double the equipment. Having a tank of not quite fully grown Discus means a lot of water changes and the small tank as well. I give people a lot of credit who have multiple tanks going. It is a job in itself.

Can't wait to see your tank of beautiful healthy fish Kenny. It will be all the more sweeter when you get there. We will be watching for it :)

Hi Jenene,

My wife wants the home to look 'good' and another tank basically doesn't fit in. She's done a really good job, I've gotta give her credit so I'm fine with it. The garage has no air condition so it would get too hot in there for Discus.

I'm looking forward to having all eleven together and settled, then watching them grow. I'll make sure to post pics.

Kenny

Jenene
11-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Hi Jenene,

My wife wants the home to look 'good' and another tank basically doesn't fit in. She's done a really good job, I've gotta give her credit so I'm fine with it. The garage has no air condition so it would get too hot in there for Discus.

I'm looking forward to having all eleven together and settled, then watching them grow. I'll make sure to post pics.

Kenny

I get that. One beautiful tank will be amazing. The work they take- a labor of love though is enough. A good balance for home and family. Good for you. Can't wait to see them. :D

Phillydubs
11-22-2016, 07:19 PM
I have to second what Jenene said. Multiple tanks are hard work! I too give credit to those running many tanks. I did mine sort of the Neanderthal method and it was a lot of grunt work. I just sold my domestics and am going to focus on one wild tank.

I wasn't having fun anymore and it was taking too much time I was always rushing and not enjoying. I also have my tanks at work so it takes time from family.

I want one tank of wilds at work and plan to jump into the reef world at home.

Best of luck can't wait to see your new arrivals.

rickztahone
11-22-2016, 07:45 PM
I have to second what Jenene said. Multiple tanks are hard work! I too give credit to those running many tanks. I did mine sort of the Neanderthal method and it was a lot of grunt work. I just sold my domestics and am going to focus on one wild tank.

I wasn't having fun anymore and it was taking too much time I was always rushing and not enjoying. I also have my tanks at work so it takes time from family.

The wild side! Make sure you make a thread on it.

As far as focusing on 1 discus tank, I have found that I enjoy my discus much more when I have 1 dedicated tank instead of multiple ones.

Good job going in that direction. Family always comes first and 1 tank is very manageable.

Ryan925
11-23-2016, 12:31 AM

There's a lot to be said about actually enjoying your discus. Doing 150% wc per day on multiple becomes work and not an enjoyable hobby.

There needs to come a balance but if you aren't able to enjoy the fish what's the point. Good luck Kenny you are off to a good start aside from mishaps out of your control

adrian31@outlook.com
11-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. I'll make sure and post updates.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-25-2016, 05:45 PM
I received my five new fish yesterday and all appear ok. The Red Dragon ~6" has a 'flared gill' which I posted about in the General section, but he's eaten a little at the two feedings so far today, swimming with the others and looks ok for being 1 day in a new tank imo. I'm really pleased with my two new Mercury Blues ~5.5" (blues are my favorite though:)

I'll post pics when they look settled.

Jenene
11-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Can't wait to see pics Kenny. Hopefully they will acclimate well and stay healthy for you.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Can't wait to see pics Kenny. Hopefully they will acclimate well and stay healthy for you.

Thanks Jenene,

They ate a bit more at their third feeding of the day. Bullying has died right down, and most are staying/swimming together now, but I believe the new ones are still acclimating. So far so good.

Kenny

Phillydubs
11-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Good to hear ... keep up w water changes to start even increase if you can it will help a lot.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Good to hear ... keep up w water changes to start even increase if you can it will help a lot.

Hi Phil,

Yes am increasing WC initially for mini-cycle. After that I will maintain an increase over my previous normal schedule of 25%x5, 60%x2 due to the increased fish in tank (was 6, now 11). Now that I have a better feel for Discus in general I'll watch it carefully and adjust accordingly.

The flared gill on my new Red Dragon is showing a slight improvement this morning. He's eating and active, looks good so far.

Discus_Mistruss
11-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Very beautiful, great set up!

Phillydubs
11-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Do you have or can you add some API aquarium salt ..? That has always helped me inthe past w minor issues like that

adrian31@outlook.com
11-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Do you have or can you add some API aquarium salt ..? That has always helped me inthe past w minor issues like that

Hi Phil,

Yes I have that exact salt. Is there anything different about this salt vs other non-iodized salt?

I added 1Tbs per 7gal when I put in the new fish two days ago. I've been doing 60% WC daily since and haven't re-added any salt. I'll add it back in today, slipped my mind this might help. How long would you keep salt in the water?

EDIT: this afternoon, approx 48hrs of new fish being added, they all look great. They are all swimming together, none are loners anymore. For example my small 4" Altum Floras and 4" Red Ruby used to be loners before, were eating well but used to seclude themselves, are now swimming with the school. With the new five I now have 11 Discus in there. I guess six Discus in a 180gal was too little.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Very beautiful, great set up!

Thanks, this is more work than the 55gal I first had but this setup as a whole just feels right, and more satisfying.

Phillydubs
11-26-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure the difference honestly. Prob nothing but a fancy box and more money. But I could be wrong. I do know it needs to be replaced w each change so you should add some back in. I know some people do it with every change and others do it only for treatment periods I guess it depends on your situation and budget.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-26-2016, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure the difference honestly. Prob nothing but a fancy box and more money. But I could be wrong. I do know it needs to be replaced w each change so you should add some back in. I know some people do it with every change and others do it only for treatment periods I guess it depends on your situation and budget.

Ok I guess I'll keep it in there, replacing as needed with WC, for a few days and see how it goes.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 07:06 PM
My new five I got four days ago settled right in, they acclimated in just a few days and are just as friendly & bold as the previous six that were already there. One of the Mercury Blues (new) and my Blue Scorpion (had previously) are constantly doing the mating dance and cleaning a section of driftwood.

The new five: two 5.5" Mercury Blues, one 6" Red Dragon, one 4.5" Galaxy Turquoise, and one 4" San Merah.

Jenene
11-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Kenny, they look beautiful. Must be feeling good to have found true love already as well. Finally you get to sit back and enjoy them. Nicely done.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Kenny, they look beautiful. Must be feeling good to have found true love already as well. Finally you get to sit back and enjoy them. Nicely done.

Jenene,

These two are working really hard at this piece of wood together, only came out to eat for about a minute this evening before going right back at it. The Blue Scorpion (I'm thinking she's a girl) was checking out both new Mercury Blues as soon as I put them in, ended 'pairing' with the slightly larger one. I really like this girl, she's committed. However, her previous crush is the same one that jumped out a crack I left in the tank lid one night (weeks ago). Looked like they were going to mate but I guess he couldn't handle the pressure:) She seems really determined to mate.

Jenene
11-28-2016, 09:17 PM
That is a great shot of them. Her mourning period seems to be over! My Golden Checkerboard has changed mates a few times. She is pretty much a slut at this point. If she were smarter she would choose a guy that is not so keen on caviar. (-: They make the pass over the eggs and then gobble them up.

These young ones seem to go through the motions but don't really know what they are doing yet and I hear the males tend to mature later - if anything they are telling you your water is great. Enjoy the dances they do. Lots of shimmy and shake. They can get a bit aggressive defending their spot as well. There will be lots of activity to watch!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 09:26 PM
My Golden Checkerboard has changed mates a few times. She is pretty much a slut at this point. If she were smarter she would choose a guy that is not so keen on caviar. (-: They make the pass over the eggs and then gobble them up.

LOL:) Yeah, I kind of hope they don't lay any eggs as there's not much I can do to help raise fry at this point. They're defending the area but it's not a problem so far.

Jenene
11-28-2016, 09:34 PM
LOL:) Yeah, I kind of hope they don't lay any eggs as there's not much I can do to help raise fry at this point. They're defending the area but it's not a problem so far.

I hear you. Raising fry is a ton of work- I have no interest. A 20 gallon QT take for my new guys was too much. I was glad when that was over. I love taking care of my main tank and only my main tank. I don't think anything would hatch in my water anyway. My ph is 8.0 and if they did the other fish would love a wriggly snack. :lickin:

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 10:30 PM
I hear you. Raising fry is a ton of work- I have no interest. A 20 gallon QT take for my new guys was too much. I was glad when that was over. I love taking care of my main tank and only my main tank. I don't think anything would hatch in my water anyway. My ph is 8.0 and if they did the other fish would love a wriggly snack. :lickin:

If they lay eggs, and if they hatch, I'll have a problem since I'd hate to see the wrigglers get eaten. I'll guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Jenene
11-28-2016, 10:36 PM
If they lay eggs, and if they hatch, I'll have a problem since I'd hate to see the wrigglers get eaten. I'll guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Yes, one day at a time. With fry in the house your wife will need a bigger Discus costume. Maybe she can find one that lights up!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Yes, one day at a time. With fry in the house your wife will need a bigger Discus costume. Maybe she can find one that lights up!

Lol I hope it's Blue:)

Jenene
11-28-2016, 10:46 PM
Lol I hope it's Blue:)

Not sure it comes in her size but this is the best I could do for ya...104369

adrian31@outlook.com
11-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Not sure it comes in her size but this is the best I could do for ya...104369

Thanks! I wouldn't mind seeing my wife in this lol.

Jack L
11-28-2016, 11:37 PM
looks very nice
and new and clean ; )

adrian31@outlook.com
11-29-2016, 06:15 AM
looks very nice
and new and clean ; )

Thanks Jack,

It's a job keeping it clean but with refinements to the process it's gotten easier and now routine.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi Kenny

All will go OK.

Daniel

Daniel:

Haven't see you post for a while, but I wanted to thank you for letting me know about AL's FDBWs which, along with increasing tank temp from 82F to 84.5F, was the turning point in my tank. Since including these FDBWs and changing temp to 84.5F all my fish are now getting full bellies 3xday and are so comfortable & healthy.

And thanks for the encouragement when I needed it.

Kenny

adrian31@outlook.com
11-29-2016, 04:49 PM
That romance didn't last long. This morning the Mercury Blue is in the doghouse and the Blue Scorpion continues to clean her wood section alone. Anytime she sees him she chases him with gusto, even if she chances a glimpse of him across the tank:) Not sure what happened; yesterday he was like king of the tank, chasing everyone away from their little 'nest' even the large Red Ruby & White Butterfly. Today he's like a pariah being chased away by even the small Altum Floras. Not sure what happened lol, the Blue Scorpion really did a number on him. He looked pretty flustered being chased by all the rest, but this afternoon it seems to be calming down, at least with the others, she still doesn't want to even see him though.

Discus sure are fascinating! :)

Jenene
11-29-2016, 06:22 PM
That romance didn't last long. This morning the Mercury Blue is in the doghouse and the Blue Scorpion continues to clean her wood section alone. Anytime she sees him she chases him with gusto, even if she chances a glimpse of him across the tank:) Not sure what happened; yesterday he was like king of the tank, chasing everyone away from their little 'nest' even the large Red Ruby & White Butterfly. Today he's like a pariah being chased away by even the small Altum Floras. Not sure what happened lol, the Blue Scorpion really did a number on him. He looked pretty flustered being chased by all the rest, but this afternoon it seems to be calming down, at least with the others, she still doesn't want to even see him though.

Discus sure are fascinating! :)

They are indeed! I am sure you know this fickle behavior is completely normal. They are all very young and the teen girls are exceptionally slutty. She must have her eye on another guy and it will all begin again. A free show. Better than tv. It is hard to watch the rejected ones tuck their tails and swallow their pride though. Keep us posted to the next smutty episode of "As the Discus Turns..."

adrian31@outlook.com
11-29-2016, 08:48 PM
They are indeed! I am sure you know this fickle behavior is completely normal. They are all very young and the teen girls are exceptionally slutty. She must have her eye on another guy and it will all begin again. A free show. Better than tv. It is hard to watch the rejected ones tuck their tails and swallow their pride though. Keep us posted to the next smutty episode of "As the Discus Turns..."

lol that is so funny Jenene, I guess they are 'slutty':) Well the other Mercury Blue and my Red Dragon (both new) are cleaning the other end of the wood together and swimming very close together with fins extended, but didn't notice them shimmying at all. They're both rather timid though and most of the other fish easily nudge them away from the wood pretty often.

DanDiscus
12-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Daniel:

Haven't see you post for a while, but I wanted to thank you for letting me know about AL's FDBWs which, along with increasing tank temp from 82F to 84.5F, was the turning point in my tank. Since including these FDBWs and changing temp to 84.5F all my fish are now getting full bellies 3xday and are so comfortable & healthy.

Kenny

Hi Kenny

Nice to see all is going well !!!

I will update my thread with a very short video. Fortunatelly all is going well and just keeping the weekend routine of 1 water change per week (~70% of the tank) and feeding the guys.

Cheers
Daniel

PS: I keep my tank at 86 F and my PH has been constant 7.5-7.6 directly from well.

Andmyster
01-18-2017, 03:08 AM
Agree with everyone above really nice set up and some beautiful discus

adrian31@outlook.com
01-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Agree with everyone above really nice set up and some beautiful discus

Thanks Andrej,

My Discus are all growing and still doing well with my daily 60% WC.

Kenny

Phillydubs
01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
I don't believe you kenny... we need picture proof!! Lets see them!

adrian31@outlook.com
01-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Ok no problem I'll get some new pics in the next few days! :)

My biggest, 6" Red Dragon, was causing a ruckus trying to mate with one of my Mercury Blues. I gave him away to fellow Discus enthusiast Cindy, who also lives here in Grand Cayman and has been keeping Discus, Planted tanks for many years.

But besides this all are eating well, looking great and growing. I'm doing daily WC 60% of total water volume, so I change 75% of the 180gal each night. And keeping tank walls & filter clean each day. With the refinements to the process I've made, it's not that bad, especially with my boring life of work, then home with family, does take some time though.

I'll post new pics as soon as I can. My Blue Scorpion has grown some, 5.25" now, man she really is a beauty.

Jenene
01-18-2017, 05:33 PM
How is your beef heart mix working? The new sand? I agree with Phil- we need pics!

adrian31@outlook.com
01-18-2017, 06:55 PM
How is your beef heart mix working? The new sand? I agree with Phil- we need pics!

I haven't tried making my own yet since my LPS got in some more San Francisco Bay brand BH, stuff is really good in that it doesn't mess the tank as much as other BH. I stocked up on this so good for now. Regarding the new sand, I haven't added any more yet since I realize the more I add the harder the maintenance becomes. Right now I have just a thin layer, but the stuff is great as far being able to see everything that needs to be siphoned, much better than PFS.

Jenene
01-18-2017, 07:50 PM
I haven't tried making my own yet since my LPS got in some more San Francisco Bay brand BH, stuff is really good in that it doesn't mess the tank as much as other BH. I stocked up on this so good for now. Regarding the new sand, I haven't added any more yet since I realize the more I add the harder the maintenance becomes. Right now I have just a thin layer, but the stuff is great as far being able to see everything that needs to be siphoned, much better than PFS.

I don't blame you if you are happy with the commercial brands. I can't remember which one I was using but it turned to dust in my tank.

Speaking of dust- I put the moonlight sand that I bought for the discus tank and never used and put it in my 75 gallon community tank. Good thing those fish are hardy because I have not gotten the hang of cleaning it. I have no patience. Made me content to keep the BB I have for now. I would love to take the tank apart and at least paint the bottom. Gave up on the tile too. Too much stuff getting under it.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-20-2017, 06:51 AM
I don't blame you if you are happy with the commercial brands. I can't remember which one I was using but it turned to dust in my tank.

Speaking of dust- I put the moonlight sand that I bought for the discus tank and never used and put it in my 75 gallon community tank. Good thing those fish are hardy because I have not gotten the hang of cleaning it. I have no patience. Made me content to keep the BB I have for now. I would love to take the tank apart and at least paint the bottom. Gave up on the tile too. Too much stuff getting under it.

A really clean BB tank has an aesthetic appeal. It looks really nice imo.

Steelman
02-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Hey buddy really like the blue color background. Did you paint it or is it a stick on background?

adrian31@outlook.com
02-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Hey buddy really like the blue color background. Did you paint it or is it a stick on background?

It's a stick on, supposed to be deep blue water.

DanDiscus
02-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Daniel:

Kenny

I will post an update. Nice to see your tank is doing well !!!!

Keep tuned.... I will upload a short video.

Daniel

adrian31@outlook.com
02-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Hi Phil:

I'm still on my daughter to get me new pics, hoping to have some in the next week. In the meantime, I just ordered eight 6" Discus from Gabe at Wattley Discus. Will receive them week after next. I ordered:

Three (3) Rafflesia
Three (3) Red Marlboro - these are red & orange, beautiful. Don't have pics of these only video so will have to wait until I receive them to post pics.
Two (2) Leopard Blue Panda Cross

adrian31@outlook.com
03-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Some pics of my new fish from Wattley Discus:
3 Rafflesia
3 Red Marlboro
2 Leopard Blue Panda Cross

Jenene
03-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Wow! Kenny, they look great! Nice color and shape. How big are they? They look pretty big. You finally have those colors you have been waiting for. Nicely done.

adrian31@outlook.com
03-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Wow! Kenny, they look great! Nice color and shape. How big are they? They look pretty big. You finally have those colors you have been waiting for. Nicely done.

Jenene,

Thanks:) They're all huge, the smallest is 5.5" which are one of the Rafflesia and one Red Marlboro. Yeah red color is exactly what I wanted, looks good to me.

Jenene
03-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Jenene,

Thanks:) They're all huge, the smallest is 5.5" which are one of the Rafflesia and one Red Marlboro. Yeah red color is exactly what I wanted, looks good to me.

I am so happy that you are happy! You have been through a lot and FINALLY have the tank, system and fish that you have wanted the entire time. Good for you! Win, win!

Keep an eye out on the reef section, I am diving into a small/midsized reef tank with a lot of help from some friends here on Simply. Stay tuned :D

DatDiscusDude
03-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Look really nice and very round. I love the shape.

adrian31@outlook.com
03-12-2017, 07:47 AM
I am so happy that you are happy! You have been through a lot and FINALLY have the tank, system and fish that you have wanted the entire time. Good for you! Win, win!

Keep an eye out on the reef section, I am diving into a small/midsized reef tank with a lot of help from some friends here on Simply. Stay tuned :D

A reef tank, wow. I look forward to seeing this.

adrian31@outlook.com
03-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Look really nice and very round. I love the shape.

Thanks, yes they are all really big and have a good round shape.

Jack L
03-13-2017, 10:52 PM
nice shape!

adrian31@outlook.com
04-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Ordered more fish from Gabe at Wattley's:

Two Blue Snakeskins 5.5"
Two Cobalts 5.5"
One Rafflesia 5.5"

Really pleased with the first group I received, which are doing well. So big and beautiful, and adding much red color to my tank. The new ones should add some blue color.

RE: driftwood: I trimmed my driftwood of most of the jutting branches and put it back in my 180gal. No more fish scrapes so far, I think it's more acceptable now. It doesn't look too much different from before since most of the branches were on the rear side.

Kenny

DatDiscusDude
04-24-2017, 09:30 AM
He's got the ITUS!!!

Nice to hear, hope they are just as gorgeous if not more so than your current ones and add the blue beauty you seek!

I love a nice Rafflesia!

adrian31@outlook.com
04-24-2017, 09:56 AM
He's got the ITUS!!!

Nice to hear, hope they are just as gorgeous if not more so than your current ones and add the blue beauty you seek!

I love a nice Rafflesia!

Thanks, we'll see. He only had a few pics of these while holding them in his hand, so not as sure what they'll look like this time. Hoping they're as big and nice as the ones in my first order.

What is ITUS? (pretty sure I have this though) :)

DatDiscusDude
04-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Itus = the discus addiction the bug the itussssss! Lol

adrian31@outlook.com
04-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Itus = the discus addiction the bug the itussssss! Lol

I think ITUS might be the general category: Impulsive Tendencies & Urges Syndrome, and what we have is the D-ITUS (sub-category):

Discus
Implusive
Tendencies
Urges
Syndrome

definitely a real thing

DatDiscusDude
04-24-2017, 02:03 PM
I think ITUS might be the general category: Impulsive Tendencies & Urges Syndrome, and what we have is the D-ITUS (sub-category):

Discus
Implusive
Tendencies
Urges
Syndrome

definitely a real thing

HAHAHAH!~ Love it! Well done!

adrian31@outlook.com
05-04-2017, 06:46 AM
My two Blue Panda Leopard Crosses laid eggs yesterday after I installed an Inkbird and water temp dropped a few degrees. But I have five more fish arriving today: two 5.5" Blue Snakeskin, two 5.5" Cobalts, one 6" Rafflesia. Agression is not too bad so I might leave them in and monitor.

Jenene
05-04-2017, 07:11 AM
They look amazing Kenny. I have heard this before that a temp drop can send them into spawning.

You are obviously in your grove with their care. Would love to see pics of the entire tank since it has been awhile. '

Good luck with incoming. You made some great selections. That tank will be stunning.

adrian31@outlook.com
05-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Hi Jenene,

They have been defending only just the immediate area so not too bad. Not interested in raising fry atm so hopefully they don't hatch. Will try and take full tank pic very soon.

adrian31@outlook.com
05-04-2017, 04:20 PM
New fish just arrived, all about 6". Here's some pics before lights out:

Rafflesia, Cobalt, Blue Snakeskin

The two Cobalts together

adrian31@outlook.com
05-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Here's a shot of most of the tank. I'll try to get a better one soon.

Ryan925
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Looking really nice. I really like the striated cobalts I am seeing now

adrian31@outlook.com
05-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Ryan, I'm extremely pleased with these five new fish, all were near 6" or larger, nice shape & color imo. Being my second order from Wattley's I'm giving Gabe a definite two thumbs up. I have no problem recommending him.

adrian31@outlook.com
09-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Received my 15 new fish from Wattley's yesterday, this morning all appear calm and seem to be acclimating well. I will have pics soon as my daughter can take them.

Eight ~5" Raffesia
Four ~5" Cobalts
Three ~ 5" Blue Scorpion SS. Sold as Scorpion Snakeskins but look more like Cobalt SS to me, waiting for them to color up to see what they really look like.

adrian31@outlook.com
09-08-2017, 09:52 AM

My Casaurina root driftwood 24"x10"x19":

This is the same driftwood I had since I started this journal. The problem I've had is that the wood has hollow sections which are inaccessible for cleaning, requiring soaking in concentrated salt solution to clean.

Pond Shield epoxy: I've been working on my driftwood the past two weeks, applied several coats of 'Pond Shield' which is an aquarium safe epoxy. The epoxy is clear and has really brought out the wood grains in the driftwood, which looks nice. Wood is heavier now also. The driftwood is now waterproof/preserved. Surface is glassy-smooth and easier to clean.

Silicone: I'm going to fill in/seal off the hollow sections of the wood with aquarium safe silicone. But I'm first looking for something I can put or pour in to fill the hollow spaces - the epoxy was too liquid and leaked out of various holes, the silicone is too solid and won't reach very far into the various crevices.

I hope to have the driftwood ready to go back in my 180gal in the next few weeks.

adrian31@outlook.com
09-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Here are some pics of my 15 new fish, been in the tank for 6 days and all appear to be healthy.

All are between 5"-5.5"
8 Rafflesia
4 Cobalt
3 Blue Scorpion (look like Cobalt SS. I think.)

I like this group, nice color contrast imo. Blues are still my favorite though:)

adrian31@outlook.com
09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
My driftwood coated with Pond Shield and crevices filled with Dap silicone. Now waiting for it to fully cure, should be ready to go back in tank in another 5-6 days.

Jenene
09-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Looking good Kenny. I remember you mentioning sealing the drift wood some time ago. You are now my guinea pig to see if it is better sealed..keep us posted. The fish look great!

adrian31@outlook.com
09-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Looking good Kenny. I remember you mentioning sealing the drift wood some time ago. You are now my guinea pig to see if it is better sealed..keep us posted. The fish look great!

Thanks Jenene,

I like this group, no flared gills and they're all healthy and look good. The wood looks really nice, my wife liked it and asked me to Pond Shield another piece she is using as a table top decoration. Can't wait to get it back in there.

Jenene
09-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jenene,

I like this group, no flared gills and they're all healthy and look good. The wood looks really nice, my wife liked it and asked me to Pond Shield another piece she is using as a table top decoration. Can't wait to get it back in there.

So good to hear finally...was really sorry to hear about the last group.

That wood has always been beautiful in your tank. I really hope the pond shield works and you get the final result you have been looking for. It's been a long haul for you. Keep us posted on the progress of the new ones and we need pics of the wood back in place please. I think I can safely speak for everyone who has been following you on this. :)

adrian31@outlook.com
09-15-2017, 08:27 AM
So good to hear finally...was really sorry to hear about the last group.

That wood has always been beautiful in your tank. I really hope the pond shield works and you get the final result you have been looking for. It's been a long haul for you. Keep us posted on the progress of the new ones and we need pics of the wood back in place please. I think I can safely speak for everyone who has been following you on this. :)

Hi Jenene:

Hopefully it might help others looking to seal & 'preserve' their driftwood. The manual petrification process appeared more involved and would have left the wood rock-hard posing an injury risk. This epoxy adheres and seals and the cured finish is very fish friendly. I also believe the buildup on the wood (algae, etc) will be more manageable now. I'll keep the thread posted with any updates.

Note: some posts up I wrote that I was going to apply a product called PC-Petrifier as a first step, then Pond Shield. I did not apply PC-Petrifier. The reason being that after sterilizing the driftwood with bleach then drying for two weeks, the wood appeared ready for the Pond Shield application. Another reason is because I could not find any information regarding chemical residue left behind after curing. Whereas I know the Dap silicone is aquarium safe after curing and Pond Shield is stated to be safe even in it's liquid state.

adrian31@outlook.com
09-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Here's a few more pics of my 15 new fish taken today. My driftwood isn't quite ready to put back in yet. The silicone still giving off a distinct smell, used 4 tubes so it's a lot that needs to cure. I'm keeping it in my garage which is hot & humid to speed the curing process. Maybe another week hopefully.

Jenene
09-24-2017, 11:57 PM
They look beautiful Kenny. It will be really fun to see them all grow and back in with the drift wood. I am really watching to see how your sealing works. Not sure if I would try it now since I have some nice java moss growing. You are right though the deterioration of it certainly does effect water quality.

Good move waiting longer on that silicone to dry. I imagine it will take awhile in the deeper spots to cure.

adrian31@outlook.com
09-25-2017, 09:12 AM
They look beautiful Kenny. It will be really fun to see them all grow and back in with the drift wood. I am really watching to see how your sealing works. Not sure if I would try it now since I have some nice java moss growing. You are right though the deterioration of it certainly does effect water quality.

Good move waiting longer on that silicone to dry. I imagine it will take awhile in the deeper spots to cure.

Thanks Jenene,

I like these ones better than my previous ones, I think because 15 is the most I've had at once and it suits the tank better imo. Though I have had a couple of standouts in my previous groups, doesn't seem possible for me to get all 'spectacular' individuals in one group. I am satisfied with this group though.

The seven Discus I had immediately before these new ones; I was able to sell 3 and give away 4 to an experienced Discus keeper who lives here in Cayman. She has several Discus planted tanks, including a 290gal which these went into. All fish from my previous groups I had to give away.

I'll keep the post updated:)

Paul Sabucchi
09-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Compliments on the great looking fish and the driftwood as well. I too will be watching closely as in about a year or so will be adding wood (oak) to my tank. Been wondering if doing it "au naturel" or sealing it. Over here they use a clear varnish (brand name here Plastivel) that even comes in a spray can. Ciao and keep us posted

adrian31@outlook.com
09-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Compliments on the great looking fish and the driftwood as well. I too will be watching closely as in about a year or so will be adding wood (oak) to my tank. Been wondering if doing it "au naturel" or sealing it. Over here they use a clear varnish (brand name here Plastivel) that even comes in a spray can. Ciao and keep us posted

Thanks Paul, will do.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Driftwood Update:

Up to today the silicone is still giving off the vinegar-like smell, which shows it is still curing. It's been curing more than a few weeks now but I definitely need to wait until there is no chance of acetic acid in my tank.

Over the weekend I submerged the driftwood in water + baking soda for 12 hours in order to neutralize the acid. After this I took it out and dried it off, the acetic acid smell was slight but came back stronger after awhile which shows it's still curing.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Driftwood is still curing. The acetic acid smell has lessened quite a bit, around 60% since my last update. I'm hoping that by this same time next month it'll finally be ready to put back in my tank.

Jenene
11-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Thinking about pulling mine. It's too bad it is a beautiful piece but with 10 now in a 75 gallon water changes are bad enough. Rotting wood makes it worse. It's not soft- but shedding in layers. You can see it floating in swirls on the top after the turbulence of adding the new water. It's too big of a piece to take out and hose off very often. Was hoping your solution works.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Waiting for the silicone to cure is my holdup, the Pond Shield was cured & aquarium safe 24 hours after application. Unless you needed to use silicone then I'm sure the Pond Shield would work for you. The wood would still accumulate a slime coat just like any other surface within you aquarium though. Really looking forward to getting mine back in my tank.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Update:

Discus: fish are doing great, they were ~5"+ when I got them two months ago and they have grown/filled out noticeably since then.

Water Changes: I posted about trouble I had with my WC with tap water in the 'Water Works' forum section in early October. After that I changed to 60% daily WC using 24hr-aged water for about a month. I then experimented doing WC with tap water again for about a week and everything was fine, so I'm back to doing daily WC 60%-70% the last couple of weeks using tap water and fish are happy.

Driftwood: The acetic acid smell of the silicone curing is getting very faint and so the wood should be ready to put back in my tank very soon. I'm checking this every 2-3 days. Almost ready.

Sump: Last night I thoroughly cleaned my sump/hoses for the first time since I got this new batch of Discus two months ago, to wipe down the surfaces to remove any film buildup in there, which was suprisingly very slight. The major change I made was to remove the bioballs from one of the chambers, which I think is overkill, and I also put the bioballs from the other chamber into bags. My sump as three chambers, the third being the refugium. This will make it easier for future cleanings as it is time consuming to take out loose bioballs when I want to wipe surfaces down.

I'll post again, hopefully when I put the driftwood back in, and I'll include pics.

Jenene
11-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Sounds like things are shaking out well finally Kenny. Don’t want to jinx you though!
I ended up pulling my driftwood at least until I upgrade to the bigger tank. Ten fish in a 75 gallon with rotting wood was playing with fire. Water has been much better. Just have fish in a glass box. Interested in seeing how your driftwood works out. That curing process took a long time!

Thanks for the updates!

Ryan925
11-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Update:

Discus: fish are doing great, they were ~5"+ when I got them two months ago and they have grown/filled out noticeably since then.

Water Changes: I posted about trouble I had with my WC with tap water in the 'Water Works' forum section in early October. After that I changed to 60% daily WC using 24hr-aged water for about a month. I then experimented doing WC with tap water again for about a week and everything was fine, so I'm back to doing daily WC 60%-70% the last couple of weeks using tap water and fish are happy.

Driftwood: The acetic acid smell of the silicone curing is getting very faint and so the wood should be ready to put back in my tank very soon. I'm checking this every 2-3 days. Almost ready.

Sump: Last night I thoroughly cleaned my sump/hoses for the first time since I got this new batch of Discus two months ago, to wipe down the surfaces to remove any film buildup in there, which was suprisingly very slight. The major change I made was to remove the bioballs from one of the chambers, which I think is overkill, and I also put the bioballs from the other chamber into bags. My sump as three chambers, the third being the refugium. This will make it easier for future cleanings as it is time consuming to take out loose bioballs when I want to wipe surfaces down.

I'll post again, hopefully when I put the driftwood back in, and I'll include pics.

Good to hear Kenny but where are the pics??!!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Good to hear Kenny but where are the pics??!!

Hi Ryan, I'll get some new ones very soon and post. Need to wait on my daughter for this though, my pics are the worst.

Ryan925
11-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Hi Ryan, I'll get some new ones very soon and post. Need to wait on my daughter for this though, my pics are the worst.

No Phils are the worst ;)

Phillydubs
11-22-2017, 05:44 PM
No Phils are the worst ;)

+1!!!

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2017, 11:34 PM
+1!!!

Ok I guess your pics are somewhat notorious:) but I'd argue they have a certain style. Mine on the other hand...I think I'll wait for my daughter to take them.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Sounds like things are shaking out well finally Kenny. Don’t want to jinx you though!
I ended up pulling my driftwood at least until I upgrade to the bigger tank. Ten fish in a 75 gallon with rotting wood was playing with fire. Water has been much better. Just have fish in a glass box. Interested in seeing how your driftwood works out. That curing process took a long time!

Thanks for the updates!

Hi Jenene:

I completely understand why you took yours out. I'm looking forward to getting mine back in, but it really does increase the daily siphoning work, and also ~weekly removal and cleaning. And my piece is pretty big and heavy. Ah well still going to do it though.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-16-2018, 10:06 PM
My two Cobalts spawned last night, here's a pic of one guarding the eggs which are directly in front of her:

I put my smaller driftwood back in the tank. The larger, nicer piece is ready but I've decided not to put it back in as yet due to the extra work that would cause.

Todd Goering
01-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Wow, is all I can say! That is a really cool setup.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Wow, is all I can say! That is a really cool setup.

Hey, thanks. Discus are nice, I do enjoy them but I'm really wanting to do more with this tank than I feel I can while I have them in there. I'd prefer a smaller, simpler setup for Discus to minimize the time involved. I currently have some GBR's and six Angels in there with them and they're all doing well. I'll enjoy this setup for the time being.