PDA

View Full Version : Is my discus deformed?

ivo
10-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Received this new discus yesterday it is very thin but what also looks weird is its body. Hope you can see from photos. In the middle of its body it looks like it has been pressed in so the body is not even shape. Is it a genetic deformed or will the press in part grows out a bit more when it gets fatten up?
http://http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161030_053625.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161030_053625.jpg.html)

http://http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161030_060140.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161030_060140.jpg.html)

1funkymummy
10-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Do you know if he has been wormed? Tbh, I have not a clue but have read that a thin body is a symptom.

Filip
10-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Ivo , this fish dont look deformed to me but just very emaciated . Thats why you see holes on some parts of the body where the tissue and flesh should be and a big bump in the middle which is a bone structure that is not affected from loosing flesh and tissue .
He is too far gone IMO , but maybe he will make it up somehow with optimal care .

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 03:54 PM
I agree with Flip for the most part. Does this fish eat? Have you seen him poop? If so, what does his poop look like? Except for the fact that the fish is emaciated it looks otherwise healthy. I think that it stands a chance. I'd start by raising your tank temp to 90 degrees. It won't hurt and might help.

ivo
10-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Ivo , this fish dont look deformed to me but just very emaciated . Thats why you see holes on some parts of the body where the tissue and flesh should be and a big bump in the middle which is a bone structure that is not affected from loosing flesh and tissue .
He is too far gone IMO , but maybe he will make it up somehow with optimal care .

Oh that is really bad news worse than if it was deformed. Would it be likely that it was due to worms and untreated which led to like you said very emaciated?

ivo
10-29-2016, 04:37 PM
This fish has literally only just been released from quarantine so it was not a case that it has been in the aquarium shop for a while no one bought it until I did. It is not eating and both sides of body are pressed in like that. In your opinion how long on average does it take for a discus to get emaciated to this condition? I haven't seen it poo yet it hides in the corner most of the time.

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Ivo, it would be helpful if you were to fill out the questionnaire.

ivo
10-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Ivo, it would be helpful if you were to fill out the questionnaire.

Where can I find this questionnaire please?

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 04:58 PM
It's in the health section.

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Here ya go: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

ivo
10-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Here ya go: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Thanks. I will do that when I use the computer later. Just easier to cut and paste on computer than phone.

CliffsDiscus
10-29-2016, 05:10 PM
What you got is a spinal deformation. I see this on
some inbred Blue Diamond more often because there is no pattern making it easy to spot.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 05:20 PM
It could be, Cliff. It would be easier for me to tell if I saw a head on shot. The fish is still extremely skinny. It needs treatment if it is to survive. I won't know what he needs to treat for until he fills out the questionnaire.

ivo
10-29-2016, 07:12 PM
I totally understand and agree with the reasons you need the questionnaire to be completed in order to help. However, in my situation I only have the discus for one day and it arrived skinny to the point that flesh has been pressed in. It's kind of slightly irrelevant in this situation, but may I emphasis that I do agree your questionnaire purpose but just not so much in my case.

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Suit yourself.

Filip
10-29-2016, 07:27 PM
The best thing that you can do for him right now if you are willing to give it a try to save him , is to put him in a barebottom quarantine tank , bump up temperature to 31-32 C to enchance his appetite and stimmulate his immune system and keep him in perfect conditions of pristine and fresh water . Observe the feces in a meanwhile since it can give you pointers about his potential problems .
Good luck .

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 07:35 PM
I asked about the poo in a previous post. The OP didn't seem to think that the question was worthy of an answer. He has said nothing about his water parameters, nor his WC scheduled, nor whether or not he ages his water. How can I help someone who is not forthcoming with this information? If he thinks this information isn't necessary I'll leave him to you.

ivo
10-29-2016, 07:45 PM
I asked about the poo in a previous post. The OP didn't seem to think that the question was worthy of an answer. He has said nothing about his water parameters, nor his WC scheduled, nor whether or not he ages his water. How can I help someone who is not forthcoming with this information? If he thinks this information isn't necessary I'll leave him to you.

I have already answered your question before that I haven't seen it poo yet. It arrived in this condition already so it has nothing to do with my water parameters, do I age water, how many fish I have etc. Also, my initial question was asking whether it is deformed or not that's all

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 07:53 PM
You posted as I was posting so I didn't see your response. Sorry.

I don't think that the fish has a deformity but I could be wrong. It can be hard to tell with a fish in such poor condition. If you want to save the fish remove it to a BB tank and raise the temp as Flip suggested. In addition you need to treat with Metro at 500 mg daily for 12 days with huge daily WC.

The other Discus seems fine. Is it eating and pooping. If not, I'd treat them together in a BB. BTW, the Angel in your pic is to die for.

ivo
10-29-2016, 09:19 PM
You posted as I was posting so I didn't see your response. Sorry.

I don't think that the fish has a deformity but I could be wrong. It can be hard to tell with a fish in such poor condition. If you want to save the fish remove it to a BB tank and raise the temp as Flip suggested. In addition you need to treat with Metro at 500 mg daily for 12 days with huge daily WC.

The other Discus seems fine. Is it eating and pooping. If not, I'd treat them together in a BB. BTW, the Angel in your pic is to die for.

No need to say sorry it is just a misunderstanding that's all. I have kept discus for about a decade and took a break around 2009, later switched to marine. Now that I am bored with marine so just re-start to buy discus. If i saw this fish in person I would have never bought it. Back in my days I went to different aquarium shops to buy discus, very rarely online back then in Australia. It's much easier to buy discus when customers can see it in person because you can check whether their breathing are normal both gill plates operate calmly, you can have a look if they poo and see what colour. Solid dark poo is good, yellow poo no good but it is still easy to treat with Levamsiole. Segmented poo or twitching behavior still ok cos they are just likely tapeworms and fluke, again easy to treat. Stringy white poo big no no. Treating metro is a nightmare and exhausting process. Hence, I have never bought a discus before that had body pressed in which led to my question in this forum. I bought this discus based on photo so couldn't see the pressed in body. Fortunately, seller has very good ethic and will replace a new one for me so no hard feelings. Havent decided what to do with this discus yet if it shows signs of hex I will likely euthanasia it.

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Thank you for understanding...

Your fish isn't eating so it has nothing too poo. The fish is way past showing the classic symptoms. It needs to be removed from the tank so it doesn't infect the other fish. I bet it's shedding the parasite all over the place.

Treating for Hex isn't that much of a biggie if you're just treating a single BB tank. God knows I've treated my entire fish room more than once. Nowthat's a huge pain in the ***. I would remove the skinny fish now and either euthanize it or try to save it. If it were my fish I'd stick it in a BB 10 gallon (or a 20 if you want to treat the other one as well). Except for the fact that the fish seems to have been full of hex or spiro, or whatever y'all call it down under, for a long time, it's a nice fish and IMHO worth trying to save.

Dam777
10-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Had an Albino red pigeon that had the same issue. After QT and numerous meds no luck. I did notice he was never the best swimmer and sometimes looked like he was swimming stiff, if that makes sense. He would eat but was always a loner, sorry to say he just got progressively worse and didn't make it. I chalked it up to maybe a defect or a disease that is just out of our hands.

LizStreithorst
10-30-2016, 05:08 PM
What did you decide to do, Ivo?

Altum Nut
10-30-2016, 07:27 PM
What you got is a spinal deformation. I see this on
some inbred Blue Diamond more often because there is no pattern making it easy to spot.

Cliff

IMO...I believe it could very well be a spinal deformation. I actually had one similar...ordered a young group of 2" Piwow R/T's 4+ yrs back and supplier mentioned that breeder Alex Piwowarski has some issues with his water during grow-out and forced to cull hundreds but one got through to me somehow. Got a replacement.
I never had issues about separating it from the group so that's my take...

...Ralph

ivo
10-30-2016, 08:18 PM
What did you decide to do, Ivo?

I thought about to euthanasia it but it is easy to say and hard to put in actiom to kill a living thing. I set up a very basic hospital tank. Since I was not expecting about this so the tank only have a sponge filter, air pump (pump to highest to give more oxygen), heater turned up to 32 degrees and use DT water. Added Seachem stability for bacteria. It actually ate a little freez dried black worms but spit it out so no eating I guess. Still no poo yet. I don't want to add any medication until I see poo colour but poor thing does not even poo. I will add some Epsom salt to see whether it will help to pass poo.

LizStreithorst
10-30-2016, 09:20 PM
What do you have against treating with metro? If you want to save this fish you need to treat it for what is obviously wrong with it. Please take my advice.

ivo
10-30-2016, 09:59 PM
What do you have against treating with metro? If you want to save this fish you need to treat it for what is obviously wrong with it. Please take my advice.

Metro is a prescription drugs in Australia. I need to take the fish to a vet. I can't even just go to a vet and tell vet that I need metro they always ask to bring the fish together. If i do with the extra stress to bring fish to vet it will probably die sooner and a vet bill for this kind of visit will easily cost AUD $150. That's why. We don't have access to this type of medication like you do.

DISCUS STU
10-31-2016, 08:43 AM
Difficult to tell with this picture. A better one would help. They may just be thin.

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Metro is a prescription drugs in Australia. I need to take the fish to a vet. I can't even just go to a vet and tell vet that I need metro they always ask to bring the fish together. If i do with the extra stress to bring fish to vet it will probably die sooner and a vet bill for this kind of visit will easily cost AUD $150. That's why. We don't have access to this type of medication like you do.

I didn't know that metro was a prescription drug there. It surprises me because I order my dog's flea meds from Australia because a scrip is not required there and the price is much less than here. They say that high heat alone will work but I've never tried it. Don't expect to see results of a couple of weeks. Once the fish starts eating again I'd keep it the warmer water for another week. Good luck.

DISCUS STU
10-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Pls. keep us posted re if this fish starts eating. Some Discus can be a little lumpy in this way and still otherwise be healthy fish.

Filip
10-31-2016, 12:30 PM
I agree with bumping the temps. Up to 32c to enhance his appetite . As for metro . It can be ussualy found in LFS medications sold by a different brand names .
I know a product Metroplex from brand Seachem , but I'm sure there are some others meds. too on the market that contain Metronidazole as their main active ingredient

nc0gnet0
10-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Two things here.

1) The fish is not eating...this is a concern
2) The fish has a depression in its side.

While I can't tell for sure, it is quite possible the two things have nothing to do with each other. I think condition two is indeed genetic, I have seen other healthy fish with the same thing. As to whether or not it is a spinal deformity (which is a genetic condition) I don't know, but I would lean towards no.

ivo
10-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and concern. I have got in touch with some of the people I used to associate with when I was keeping discus in the old days and one of them have some spare metro that can lend me and I am picking it up after work today. I am lowering ph in hospital tank slowly. It may sound crazy to you but my goal is to lower it to the low 5 level. Purpose is to prevent any secondary infection. It has worked for me in the past and given how weak the fish is any secondary infection now will guarantee to kill it. I fed dried blackworms again and it did attempt to eat but spit it out straight away. Let's hope metro will help to tackle it's problem. One thing that surprise me a bit is it still has not poo even after I added Epsom salt. Obviously I did not watch it 24/7 but given it is a bare bottom tank I saw nothing on the floor. Will keep you posted.

P.S. being a marine guy myself as well I am tempting to try to feed it just a little lobster eggs. Since it did attempt to eat worms but spit it out and perhaps lobster eggs it may be able to swallow. My thinking is better try everything I can while it is still alive.

ivo
10-31-2016, 05:56 PM
I agree with bumping the temps. Up to 32c to enhance his appetite . As for metro . It can be ussualy found in LFS medications sold by a different brand names .
I know a product Metroplex from brand Seachem , but I'm sure there are some others meds. too on the market that contain Metronidazole as their main active ingredient

We are very backwards here I don't think there is any product that contains some form of Metro available in Australia . Thanks for letting me know tho.

Filip
10-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Please share some more information about your method of treating discus in a PH 5 Ivo .
How low is your KH value when you lower your PH to 5 ? How do you prevent PH crashes in water so acidic?
And the most important issue , how do you get to filter the tank with Ph 5 , when below 5,5 ph benificial bacteria tends to die out completly ?

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 08:29 PM
?

Filip
10-31-2016, 08:34 PM
I am lowering ph in hospital tank slowly. It may sound crazy to you but my goal is to lower it to the low 5 level. Purpose is to prevent any secondary infection. It has worked for me in the past and given how weak the fish is any secondary infection now will guarantee to kill it.

Please share some more information about your method of treating discus in a PH 5 Ivo .
How low is your KH value when you lower your PH to 5 ? How do you prevent PH crashes in water so acidic?
And the most important issue , how do you get to filter the tank with Ph 5 , when below 5,5 ph benificial bacteria tends to die out completly ?

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 08:44 PM
I haven't heard about this method since the early 2000's. Even then it was stories. I never knew anyone who did it. Supposedly it works. How do your get your pH so low without the use of chemicals? How much water will you change every day. I'd also like to know your kH in this pH 5.5 water.

Filip
10-31-2016, 08:52 PM
I haven't heard about this method since the early 2000's. Even then it was stories. I never knew anyone who did it. Supposedly it works. How do your get your pH so low without the use of chemicals? How much water will you change every day. I'd also like to know your kH in this pH 5.5 water.

He wrote PH of 5 Liz , not PH 5.5 .

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Wow. I so want to know how he does it and how it works out.

ivo
10-31-2016, 09:13 PM
These was how I used to do it in the past to lower ph to low 5 level and never have any issue with killing beneficial bacteria. Look, i am not a scientist so I can't give you any scientific prove, etc, it is just something I did a few times in the past it worked for me. I never use chemical to lower ph it will crash the system and too unstable. In this instance the fish is already in the tank so I will lower it slowly by using Indian almond leaves. I will only add a little piece of almond leave per day and measure ph daily. I don't measure kh and never have. Discus can survive in extreme conditions as long as the change is slowly and steadily. The wild caught altum angelfish you guys receive in US always look to be in good condition. The ones we received in Australia (or at least back in the old days when I was keeping altum) they always arrived in very poor condition and came with fungus. Arriving with fungus already these altum would very easily catch secondary infection and hence they rarely made it to eat or survive long term. Before I received my altum I would used Indian almond leave to lower ph in QT. After they settle in I will continue to lower ph to even below ph5 level. It always worked for me. Don't ask me why cos I am not a scientist it just worked for me several times in the past that's all.

ivo
10-31-2016, 09:18 PM
P.S. just want to add one more point. During treatment I did dose those bacteria you buy in a bottle so perhaps that helps to maintain enough beneficial bacteria in QT and hospital tank. I never do this in DT.

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 09:27 PM
I wondered if you were using peat to lower pH. Indian Almond leaves do it too but peat is dirt cheap here and Indian almond leaves are not. I used dry oak leaves once. I did it when I had tanks in the house and had to make the water more suitable for breeding without an RO unit. Both the peat and the oak leaves worked. I raised a lot of fry using that method. What percentage of the water will you be changing every day? Please keep us up to date on everything.

DJW
10-31-2016, 09:50 PM
... In this instance the fish is already in the tank so I will lower it slowly by using Indian almond leaves. I will only add a little piece of almond leave per day and measure ph daily. I don't measure kh and never have. Discus can survive in extreme conditions as long as the change is slowly and steadily.

I'm interested to know what pH you started with, and how long it took to gradually bring the pH down into low 5's. The reason I ask is I'm convinced that there are low-pH nitrifying bacteria that become active and do the work of the biofilter at this lower pH... but the pH needs to be lowered slow enough that they can reproduce to high enough numbers and take over from the mid-range bacteria that normally inhabit our filters. Either that or the standard nitrifiers somehow adapt, but slowly. A rapid drop in pH completely stalls the biofilter right around pH 5.0 in my test tank.

Almost everything we have come to know about nitrifying bacteria comes from research for wastewater treatment. The people involved in water treatment don't give a hoot what happens in pH lower than 6, so they don't look or study it.

As for treating hexamita (Spiro) with lower pH, I'm not sure. Andrew Soh recommends a pH of 5.5 to halt a bacterial infection, along with antibiotic treatment. This makes good sense for bacterial problems, but are flagellates disabled at low pH?

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm sure he knows that the low pH won't affect the parasite. He's doing it to prevent secondary infection because the fish is in a weakened state. He's using heat to treat the Hex. It will take time. Higher temps are good for bacterial growth. He's done this before and had no problems. I think it's wise precaution on his part.

What you say about nitrifying bacteria makes sense to me. I kept all my breading pairs in 100% unreconstructed RO for years. I never had a problem. I left home for a 3 day fish show and was afraid of what I would see when I came home. I got home and all the pairs were happy. No pH crash. IMHO you know something that most people don't know and unlike me, you came up with the "low pH beneficial bacteria" thing. Two thumbs up!

ivo
10-31-2016, 10:34 PM
First of all I must say I am surprised my "deformed " fish have generated so much interest. What I am doing is nothing new. I have been out of discus game for 6 years so perhaps these days discus keepers are doing it differently. Lowering ph is simply to prevent secondary infection purpose that's all. Once I get the metro tonight I will use it to tackle hex. Since treating metro involves a lot of large water change so I am also lower ph in new water when I do water change so it won't fluctuate ph too much. In regards to how quick ph will be lower by Indian almond leave it will be more a test and trial method. I will put a quarter of one leaf in hospital tank which is around 75 liters and then test ph in the following 2 days (daily test) just to see how quick it will reduce ph. From memory when I used this 75 liters tank to lower ph for new small altum I used 2 full Indian almond leaves and it dropped ph to around or below 5 in 3 days, and from memory my tap water ph to start was around 7.5 to 7.8 level.

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 10:46 PM
It's not the deformed fish, dear. It's your cool methods. I'm fascinated. Nobody does that here in the States! It's something that I shall keep in my arsenal of options should a problem arise.

I can't believe it took just two leaves to lower your pH that much in a 20(?) gallon tank!

DJW
10-31-2016, 10:58 PM
I suppose if you are doing this in a treatment tank and changing lots of water, it doesn't matter whether the biofilter is working.

I have used oak leaves and alder pods in RO with no KH and the pH won't fall that fast with just one fish in the tank. I haven't tried the almond leaves though. Siphoning is a pain with that stuff in the tank, so I always end up taking it out.

ivo
10-31-2016, 11:15 PM
It's not the deformed fish, dear. It's your cool methods. I'm fascinated. Nobody does that here in the States! It's something that I shall keep in my arsenal of options should a problem arise.

I can't believe it took just two leaves to lower your pH that much in a 20(?) gallon tank!

Cheers. Indian almond leave is huge so 2 leaves are sufficient in 20gallon tank.

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 11:19 PM
I wonder how low peat will take the pH. I'd experiment with it but I'm doing the roobios tea thing now. I may have had results but I'm far from swearing by the stuff. I can't mix experiments

DJW
10-31-2016, 11:28 PM
I tried it with RO and peat would get to 4.8, but it takes a lot of peat to get below about 5.2. Your water might be different.

LizStreithorst
10-31-2016, 11:52 PM
I can't try it now anyway. I've dedicated myself to the tea for 6 months. The tea doesn't lower pH.

ivo
11-01-2016, 12:03 AM
I can't try it now anyway. I've dedicated myself to the tea for 6 months. The tea doesn't lower pH.

Indian almond leaves are very cheap here. AUD $15 to $20 for a bag of 4 to 6 leaves.

bluelagoon
11-01-2016, 10:42 AM
When I kept wilds a few years ago.I've always kept the PH around 5.5-6.6 at the highest.Had no issues with a ph drop and the fish seemed healthy and happy.The tank was well established and the BB seemed tough.

plecocicho
11-08-2016, 06:44 PM
First of all I must say I am surprised my "deformed " fish have generated so much interest. What I am doing is nothing new. I have been out of discus game for 6 years so perhaps these days discus keepers are doing it differently. Lowering ph is simply to prevent secondary infection purpose that's all. Once I get the metro tonight I will use it to tackle hex. Since treating metro involves a lot of large water change so I am also lower ph in new water when I do water change so it won't fluctuate ph too much. In regards to how quick ph will be lower by Indian almond leave it will be more a test and trial method. I will put a quarter of one leaf in hospital tank which is around 75 liters and then test ph in the following 2 days (daily test) just to see how quick it will reduce ph. From memory when I used this 75 liters tank to lower ph for new small altum I used 2 full Indian almond leaves and it dropped ph to around or below 5 in 3 days, and from memory my tap water ph to start was around 7.5 to 7.8 level.
Interesting, although low ph is known here in Europe and Jack Watley has written about it in his columns in TFH. Did you measure your KH, it must be really low, to work at such low concentrations of cattapo leaves.

Filip
11-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Kh levels must be low, for peat or Cattapa to have any significant impact in the PH values .
They can't do a thing about ph lowering in my KH 15 water , that's for sure .
So RO water is a must , before adjusting pH with peat in my case.

ivo
11-13-2016, 04:56 AM
Just an update. The deformed discus is doing well it responses well to metro treatment. Initially it spit out food that it attempted to eat so then I fed it with lobster eggs and it swallowed lobster eggs which made me happy. Now it is eating normally now and have fatten up a bit. I will wait for couple more weeks before I put it back into DT.

Filip
11-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Just an update. The deformed discus is doing well it responses well to metro treatment. Initially it spit out food that it attempted to eat so then I fed it with lobster eggs and it swallowed lobster eggs which made me happy. Now it is eating normally now and have fatten up a bit. I will wait for couple more weeks before I put it back into DT.

Great news Ivo . I hope you'll manage to get him back on the track again. There's no better reward to a discus keeper than when we manage to regain health , strenght and vigour back from a nice looking but sick fish . Give him another month of pampering in the QT tank before you take him back in your display tank.

ivo
11-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Great news Ivo . I hope you'll manage to get him back on the track again. There's no better reward to a discus keeper than when we manage to regain health , strenght and vigour back from a nice looking but sick fish . Give him another month of pampering in the QT tank before you take him back in your display tank.

HI Filip, i couldn't agree more. To be honest i didnt have much hope that I could save it. It was razor thin, lots of stringy white poo, not eating or spit food out and hiding in a corner, it looked too far gone to be saved. Fortunately it is not its time to go yet. In a hospital tank with less stress and lucky metro works for it and not attracted secondary infection. I was so happy to see it eating lobster eggs it gave me some hope that i might be able to save it. It has definitely put on some weight but I doubt the compressed part on both sides will regrow back like normal body shape, but that's no longer important to me now. It must be a type of deformity but that's okay cos it lives. Will post some photos when it is fully recovered.

Filip
11-14-2016, 03:42 AM
HI Filip, i couldn't agree more. To be honest i didnt have much hope that I could save it. It was razor thin, lots of stringy white poo, not eating or spit food out and hiding in a corner, it looked too far gone to be saved. Fortunately it is not its time to go yet. In a hospital tank with less stress and lucky metro works for it and not attracted secondary infection. I was so happy to see it eating lobster eggs it gave me some hope that i might be able to save it. It has definitely put on some weight but I doubt the compressed part on both sides will regrow back like normal body shape, but that's no longer important to me now. It must be a type of deformity but that's okay cos it lives. Will post some photos when it is fully recovered.

I didn't expect it to start responding to the therapy either Ivo . That's why I said it is a rewarding job , what you have done here .
Just don't rush to get him back in the display tank Ivo.
Give him at least another month with extra care in the QT tank and I hope that he will regrow his lost tissue again .

ivo
11-14-2016, 09:42 AM
I didn't expect it to start responding to the therapy either Ivo . That's why I said it is a rewarding job , what you have done here .
Just don't rush to get him back in the display tank Ivo.
Give him at least another month with extra care in the QT tank and I hope that he will regrow his lost tissue again .

Will do and make sure it is fully recovered before putting it back to DT. Will buy some cherry shrimps for it to eat soon. If it is strong and fast enough to hunt shrimps to eat it is on track to have good strength. Next interesting thing would be whether it will regain lost issue. It will be an experiment. Will keep you posted.

CliffsDiscus
11-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Please keep us updated with some pictures, maybe an before and after shots of the dimple.

Cliff

Filip
11-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Will do and make sure it is fully recovered before putting it back to DT. Will buy some cherry shrimps for it to eat soon. If it is strong and fast enough to hunt shrimps to eat it is on track to have good strength. Next interesting thing would be whether it will regain lost issue. It will be an experiment. Will keep you posted.

I like your old school tips and tricks about keeping discus Ivo :). TFS it with us .

ivo
11-29-2016, 03:46 AM
After some hard labour work and daily care i believe my deformed discus is on the right track to a healthy fish. I got lucky that it accepted Metro treatment well and have not done any white stringy poo for over 2 weeks now. The first bite that it took on lobster eggs and swallowed it made me so happy and more determine to try to save it. it is eating like a pig now but still on the thin side but definitely have put on some weight. It's forehand is no longer razor thin now and have gained back a lot of it's colour. Red spots on it's body are a lot more pronounced and brighter. In regards to the pressed body on both sides it has not changed much so i think thats just the way this fish is - a deformed one. Regardless of it's deform body this little discus i definitely have a soft spot for it. I have put it back into the community tank for 3 days now it is doing very well with the others and fighting food with them, and no longer hiding in corners facing glass. Here are some photos of it i took yesterday still a relatively thin fish but i trust it will continue to get fatter. Happy ending for a returned discus keeper :)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_192539.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_192539.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_193230.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_193230.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_192553.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_192553.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_192515.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_192515.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_193827.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_193827.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_192217.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_192217.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_193451.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_193451.jpg.html)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/ivo70/20161128_192914.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/ivo70/media/20161128_192914.jpg.html)

JBurgo
11-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Great to see the happy ending Ivo