PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sponge Filters For How Long ?

UberSkills
10-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Hi all

My discus fry started free swimming in the past 24 hours but the free swimmers where all attaching to the black sponge filters i had in my tank and not attaching at all to the parents despite lowering the water level and having the back and sides of the tank painted white.

I was advised and also read on a couple of websites that its safe to remove the sponge filters and just leave an airstone in the tank instead.

Is this true and if so how long would it be safe to leave the sponge filters in an empty tank of mix tap (25%) and RO water (75%).

Its currently been out of the normal tank and sitting in the water storage tank for around 6 hours now.

Many thanks in advance.

Willie
10-29-2016, 09:23 PM
You could just put it in a plastic bag. It'll be good for a week at least, long after the fry have attached to the parents.

Willie

LizStreithorst
10-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Get a white ladies stocking and put it on the sponge so that it looks white to the fry. Get the sponge back in the tank as soon as you can.

UberSkills
10-30-2016, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the reply and Liz i would never have thought of that i will do that today ;)

Thank you.

100fuegos
10-30-2016, 07:49 AM
I normally let them be. I have seen newly free swimmers attached to sponge filters instead of parents at first and after a few hours none remained on the sponges. They know better than us. Besides sponges should be covered in slime anyway so they are not starving.

RogueDiscus
10-31-2016, 05:09 PM
I normally let them be. I have seen newly free swimmers attached to sponge filters instead of parents at first and after a few hours none remained on the sponges. They know better than us. Besides sponges should be covered in slime anyway so they are not starving.

+1 and I Liz's idea too. My last batch moved to the sponge for a day or so, the parents may have even done it, but once they really started moving around the parents corralled them.