PDA

View Full Version : A question re adding new tankmates

Discus_Diva
11-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Ok guys, so as a few of you may know, I started with 2 Discus, both doing well etc. Got my further 2 Discus, one is a reasonably close size to the first 2, the other is smaller, as such is getting a little left out by the other 3 who "hang out together" in a similar area. yes I know there is a pecking order and this could be a part of it, but my hypothetical question is- is it better to add another "smaller size friend" for the smaller one or just let things pan out as they are? This is just something I am considering/thinking about at the moment so input is welcomed. Thanks

Second Hand Pat
11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Ok guys, so as a few of you may know, I started with 2 Discus, both doing well etc. Got my further 2 Discus, one is a reasonably close size to the first 2, the other is smaller, as such is getting a little left out by the other 3 who "hang out together" in a similar area. yes I know there is a pecking order and this could be a part of it, but my hypothetical question is- is it better to add another "smaller size friend" for the smaller one or just let things pan out as they are? This is just something I am considering/thinking about at the moment so input is welcomed. Thanks

Hi Liz, in my personal experience it really depends on the fish. Some small fish can be quite pushy. In your situation I would suggest adding two additional fish that are about the size(s) of your current group. Please be sure to QT any new fish.
Pat

Filip
11-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Agree with Pat. Make a group of 6 similar sized discus and you will have less problems with aggression and pecking order .
Knowing your tank and situation from your previous postings, my guessing is also that he might be experiencing some health problems that makes him separate from group and hanging on its own. Time will tell.

Discus_Diva
11-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks both, He will come and hang with the others but not for long periods of time, on the plus side he is actively feeding now, which is good. The other- yellow I believe he is being classified as PB is also eating well now, both flake and frozen foods and not acting so much of the "new kid in the tank" now :)

Ryan925
11-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks both, He will come and hang with the others but not for long periods of time, on the plus side he is actively feeding now, which is good. The other- yellow I believe he is being classified as PB is also eating well now, both flake and frozen foods and not acting so much of the "new kid in the tank" now :)

Good to hear Liz. I think since there are so many unknowns for you best bet is just to monitor them for potential problems. Behavior, color, feeding, poop etc... Keep us posted and most importantly enjoy