PDA

View Full Version : So what are Chicago Cubbies fans' expectations now ??

discuspaul
11-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Well, it seems the Cubs are going to start with a huge celebratory parade down Michigan Ave., which it is said will likely attract more than 2 million Chicagoan fans lining the streets !!
One of the greatest things ever for Chicago no doubt, following a 7th game viewership said to have averaged over 40 million people, and estimated at 60 million at the peak in the 9th inning.
Quite an astonishing accomplishment - wasn't it really ?.

And now they (whoever 'they' are) are saying that Cubs fans will now expect a dynasty to begin, with post season appearances over the next 3-4 years to be almost assured.
Good for you Cubs fans - sad for Cleveland fans, and sad for me too, with the Blue Jays suffering such a humbling ouster from the AL championship series.
Oh well, there's a bright future for the Jays too, I'm sure.

And tough luck to you Red Sox fans - you're not getting Encarnacion next year assuming the Jays' ownership comes to the negotiating table with serious intentions - but you can have Bautista if you want him. :)

Any thoughts ?

Discus-n00b
11-03-2016, 06:38 PM
It will go down as one of the best series ever. I ONLY watch baseball during the series, and that's if its intriguing like two teams that haven't won it in years and I was all about it the past few games. Wanted to see the Cubs win simply for the history, I like watching history happen especially sports history. Saw the triple crown win, saw the US women's world cup victory, saw the Cubs win the series, wonder whats next. Browns in a superbowl? I think repeating is tough to do in any sport, especially pro sports where contracts change, and personnel can change in a day. I think as a fan, and even inside the program you HAVE to believe that stuff because if you don't you are just setting up a culture of failure. You have to expect to be the best before you become the best. I think they are realistically a bit off their rocker to think that, but I can't blame them for doing so.

How about that guy on twitter, Rays fan, that called this game down to extra innings back in 2014? Did you see that? Insanity. Time stamped 4th of Nov 2014. Thankfully the apocalypse he was speaking about didn't happen.....but we still have the US election ahead of us so perhaps that is what he meant.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/cubsprediction_zpscxkuqcux.jpg

discuspaul
11-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Loved your comment about the Browns going to the Super Bowl, Matt.
Well you know, after the success the NBA Cavaliers had last year, Cleveland fans were expecting no less than a World Series from their Indians - and so why not the Browns too ? It's a dubious chuckle that some NFL pundits are calling for another FIRST in sports for Cleveland - that first being the Browns going 0 - 16 this year !!! That's kinda sad, don't ya think ?

DiscusRob
11-04-2016, 08:52 AM
As someone who bleeds Cub blue, and having spent my entire life;) waiting on this outcome, I'd have to say that as a young team, which they are, I would expect some really, really good things out of them over the next few years. I don't mean a repeat or a 3peat exactly, cool as that would be. But to not be a 1 year wonder, play like you mean it, and keep your heads where they need to be. Going to be a lot of egos in play in Chicago, they need to keep them in check.

discuspaul
11-04-2016, 11:21 AM
As someone who bleeds Cub blue, and having spent my entire life;) waiting on this outcome, I'd have to say that as a young team, which they are, I would expect some really, really good things out of them over the next few years. I don't mean a repeat or a 3peat exactly, cool as that would be. But to not be a 1 year wonder, play like you mean it, and keep your heads where they need to be. Going to be a lot of egos in play in Chicago, they need to keep them in check.

Right on !

Ryan925
11-04-2016, 12:02 PM

I agree Rob. They have a great young basis and should be a contender for years. It's always about "filling in the blanks" after the season. It's impossible to keep an entire squad together which is why repeating is so tough. They will def be in the mix for some time though. As the team matures they will get better as well. You could see their youth at times work against them. These next few years will be exciting to say the least. Unfortunately I can't tell ya I'd like to see another ring for them next year because I think my giants are going to need to add another :)

Discus-n00b
11-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Estimated 3-5 million at the Cubs parade today in Chicago. Looks like an absolute madhouse (a civil calm madhouse...but a madhouse of people). Watching the coverage on ESPN.

discuspaul
11-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Estimated 3-5 million at the Cubs parade today in Chicago. Looks like an absolute madhouse (a civil calm madhouse...but a madhouse of people). Watching the coverage on ESPN.

I'd heard that number too, Matt, but at the time I thought it was greatly exaggerated given that Chicago's population is only around 2.8 million.
So there must be a lot of out of town people expected to visit Chicago for this parade !!!

Wes
11-06-2016, 12:59 PM
I'd heard that number too, Matt, but at the time I thought it was greatly exaggerated given that Chicago's population is only around 2.8 million.
So there must be a lot of out of town people expected to visit Chicago for this parade !!!

The population of the greater Chicago metro area is over 9.7 million. A lot of these people drive into Chicago every week day morning to go to work.

discuspaul
11-06-2016, 01:10 PM
The population of the greater Chicago metro area is over 9.7 million. A lot of these people drive into Chicago every week day morning to go to work.

I stand corrected.
I just looked up Chicago itself's pop. and it stated 2.7 + mil., and I didn't consider all the adjacent suburban communities & cities, but should have, because come to think of it I did know it was one of the top 3 or so U.S. cities in terms of pop.