PDA

View Full Version : do discus pairs calm down?

graybot
11-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone-

I have a new batch of 6 4" discus from Hans (they've only been in the tank for about 5 days) in my 65G hi-tech planted tank and it appears two of them have paired up. They are shimmying near each other, and begin cleaning a piece of driftwood about an hour before lights-out. They are also constantly chasing all of the other discus into the corners and behind the background plants. One of them is relentless in clearing the center of the tank. There are some frayed fins and bite marks (nothing too serious yet), and none of the chased discus have been able to eat yet (the pair are only just beginning to feed regularly). They are basically stuck in the corners with only brief chances to dart across the center of the tank.

I do not wish to breed discus or raise fry. Can I expect the aggression to fade a bit after they attempt a spawn, or are they going to permanently hold the center of the tank? I understand that the pecking order needs to sort itself out, but this pair have completely dominated the tank. The other discus are just huddling together trying to avoid the pair. Should I attempt to break the pair somehow, or will things mellow out if I wait?

I appreciate any advice you have, thanks!

Altum Nut
11-07-2016, 07:40 PM
graybot...I would wait things out for a bit as the aggression is just during mating/spawning. If it becomes a problem you have the option once confirmed (wigglers) selling off the proven pair to fund 2 more Discus from Hans.

...Ralph

graybot
11-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks. I'll see how it plays out. Based on what I've read since I created this thread I figured I might need to sell them off. Too bad they're the largest of the bunch!

graybot
11-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, no wigglers this time... here's the happy couple. I think the male is just leading the female along in order to get a free meal.

https://youtu.be/PUZz2TOOrJ8