PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tube, black Face and breeding tube air bubbles

teslafan
11-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Hi guys,

We have a Fiamma Rosa from Kenny. She was 3.5 inches on September 22, 2016, when we received her.
She began showing signs of wanting to breed (shaking, shimmering turning black in her face and eventually laying eggs) on October 3rd.

Here are 2 photos of her, one from from September 25th and one from October 26th. It's hard to believe it's the same fish.

She began laying eggs the second week of October and has done it 3 times now. All the eggs are eaten by herself, Mr. Blue or Paprika.

We were shocked she is so sexually mature at such a young age. So far, no one has fertilized her eggs, yet she keeps cozying up to Mr. Blue and Paprika. Both of them are fawning over her, helping her clean the surfaces of the various places she lays her eggs, eating her eggs and taking turns shaking along with her.

Mr. Blue seems to be her protector and Paprika seems to be a love interest, although the three of them are together constantly.

Juniper (who is our Neon Sapphire and came to us on Sept 22, 2016) is 4" and is starting to show a breeding tube. We think Juniper is a male, but not sure. He has started to shiver from time to time, and has been tagging along constantly with Walter, our 3.5 " Koi, who is also sporting a breeding tube. :eek:

Paprika shivers and mimics Jesse's behavior, but shows no breeding tube.
No breeding tubes for Yellow 4 or Sandy, despite occasional shaking/shivering/brushing up against the other fish in a very friendly manner.

Too many love connections to keep up with! LOL

I have some questions:

1) Will Jesse's face ever turn milky white again, or will she stay darker?

2) Is breeding, or showing signs of wanting to breed, normal for such young fish?

3) Jesse shoots out air bubbles from her breeding tube from time to time. :eek: They go pretty far up towards the top of the tank? Any clue what that is? I can't find anything online about it.

4) Is there a standard age where breeding no longer happens? Mr. Blue is 4.5 years old and appears to be partaking, (which we thought was never going to happen) I have not been able to find out this information online.

Thank you much!!

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Hi John and Dawn, when you say breeding tube you are referring to the little tube which is mostly present when the fish are actually laying or making runs along the eggs? Generally discus do not show breeding tubes all the time.

Females could lay eggs as early as six months but nine months or older is more the norm. Males mature later then females but still could make runs on the eggs. I would think when Jesse decide to take a break from breeding her face would return to normal. No clue on this air bubble thing. :crazy: Can you get a video of that? I have read that some folks have breeding pairs as old as eight.
Pat

teslafan
11-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Hi John and Dawn, when you say breeding tube you are referring to the little tube which is mostly present when the fish are actually laying or making runs along the eggs? Generally discus do not show breeding tubes all the time.

Females could lay eggs as early as six months but nine months or older is more the norm. Males mature later then females but still could make runs on the eggs. I would think when Jesse decide to take a break from breeding her face would return to normal. No clue on this air bubble thing. :crazy: Can you get a video of that? I have read that some folks have breeding pairs as old as eight.
Pat

Hi Pat!!

Well, the underside of the area on the fish, where the breeding tube comes out, is the part I'm referring to. Jessee's is out all the time - some days it's a little nub, some days it's extended more. I snapped some pics, I will upload them in this thread.

The air bubble thing is hard to capture as it happens so fast, and so infrequently...but it's like she shoots air out of her tube...and it's happened a few times and really gets out attention when it happens!!

Very cool news...8 makes me hopeful that Mr. Blue is really a part of this! Not bad for a 4.5 year old bachelor Discus for many years! LOL

Love, or something like it is definitely in the tank!

I will be back with some pics in a bit!
Thanks, Pat!!

Dawn

Ryan925
11-08-2016, 02:25 PM
I think this is pretty common in most of your tanks. If you are not trying to breed I'd say just let nature take its course and enjoy. I worried when I first saw these signs. It goes on all the time so I just let them be

teslafan
11-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Pat

Here are some of the areas I'm calling a breeding tube. These pics were taken last night...and all of the fish, except 3 are sporting these white areas that appear to be, perhaps the start of their breeding tubes coming out?

I've seen the eggs come out of Jesse's and have it on video...so when I compare the other's "tubes" to hers, it looks as if all are girls...matches the shape of hers, except Mr. Blue, who has a chunkier/blunter one.

Jesse's - the triangular white thing.

Mr. Blue's - his is chunkier looking.

Walter's - the triangular white thing.

Juniper's - the triangular white thing.

Thanks!!
Dawn

teslafan
11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I think this is pretty common in most of your tanks. If you are not trying to breed I'd say just let nature take its course and enjoy. I worried when I first saw these signs. It goes on all the time so I just let them be

Hi Ryan!!

Nope, not trying to breed. Just fascinated by this process! It's interesting watching how all of this unfolds and the various behaviors going on between the different ones!

Ryan925
11-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Hi Ryan!!

Nope, not trying to breed. Just fascinated by this process! It's interesting watching how all of this unfolds and the various behaviors going on between the different ones!

They are entertaining no doubt. The first two that "paired" in my tank are a true couple now a days. Half the time they shimmy and clean wood the other half they face off and lip lock lol. Lovers quarrel I guess lol

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Dawn, those are definitely breeding tubes. I have no words on the air bubble thing. A mighty randy tank you have lol.
Pat

teslafan
11-08-2016, 03:45 PM
They are entertaining no doubt. The first two that "paired" in my tank are a true couple now a days. Half the time they shimmy and clean wood the other half they face off and lip lock lol. Lovers quarrel I guess lol

This tank is like singles night at a bar! I can't get over all the different ones "facing off" and doing that up and down in the water dance! It's so much fun to watch!

teslafan
11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Dawn, those are definitely breeding tubes. I have no words on the air bubble thing. A mighty randy tank you have lol.
Pat

Well, randy is the word then!!:grin: Looks like Sandy, Yellow 4 and Paprika won't be far behind at this rate!! LOL

We will try to get the bubbles on video...not sure if we can, but we shall try. It's like she is shooting blanks...which turn into bubbles.:eek::grin: LOL

warblad79
11-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Well, randy is the word then!!:grin: Looks like Sandy, Yellow 4 and Paprika won't be far behind at this rate!! LOL

We will try to get the bubbles on video...not sure if we can, but we shall try. It's like she is shooting blanks...which turn into bubbles.:eek::grin: LOL

Fart maybe

teslafan
11-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Fart maybe

Do fish fart?? If so, she is a gassy girl!!:grin:

jmf3460
11-11-2016, 04:55 PM
laughing in my cubicle right now!!!

teslafan
11-20-2016, 04:29 PM
laughing in my cubicle right now!!!

;):D

teslafan
11-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Pat

Guess what......(I hope this video works!!!)

https://www.facebook.com/dawn.sheehan.ryan/videos/10210251517020078/

teslafan
11-20-2016, 04:33 PM
:fish:

DISCUS STU
11-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Hey There. They turn dark for breeding purposes as a way of signalling the fry to feed from them. Breeders normally remove any of the darker objects including backdrops so as not to confuse the fry.

I've seen very young females mature and lay eggs even smaller and younger. Generally there won't be much if any growth past that point. Males can show mating behavioral for many years even at that age, highly variable.

Her color should return once she's done with this and will probably become darker faced once she's ready to go again.

teslafan
11-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Hey There. They turn dark for breeding purposes as a way of signalling the fry to feed from them. Breeders normally remove any of the darker objects including backdrops so as not to confuse the fry.

I've seen very young females mature and lay eggs even smaller and younger. Generally there won't be much if any growth past that point. Males can show mating behavioral for many years even at that age, highly variable.

Her color should return once she's done with this and will probably become darker faced once she's ready to go again.

Thank you!! I've been searching for an age that a male would still be able to/interested in mating, however I have not found anything. I noticed her face stays dark, but the darkness gets super dark when she is laying eggs or flirting/cozying up to Mr. Blue, and then it gets a light gray when she is just hanging out. I believe this is her fpurth time laying eggs in the past 2 months. Many more eggs this time than last. So interesting to watch the behaviors going on amongst the Discus in this tank...I think we have another two that are potential mates, as they are hanging out quite a bit! LOL

It's really interesting to watch and observe nature like this! :) Thanks for your reply!
Dawn

DISCUS STU
11-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Hey Dawn. If you think you have potential breeders then you may want to invest in a 20-29 gal. and have them set up house keeping. You may want to try and pair the female with various males, kind of like a fish version of the "Dating Game" and see which, if any, works out. Sometimes all of this goes away when you remove them from the main tank, sometimes you end up with a good pair.

teslafan
11-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Hey Dawn. If you think you have potential breeders then you may want to invest in a 20-29 gal. and have them set up house keeping. You may want to try and pair the female with various males, kind of like a fish version of the "Dating Game" and see which, if any, works out. Sometimes all of this goes away when you remove them from the main tank, sometimes you end up with a good pair.

We do have a 25 gallon hospital tank, but honestly we're not interested in babies just yet. We've only had the 6 new Discus since September and Mr. Blue was moved into the larger tank a few weeks later and the adjustment is going nicely...(apparently too nicely with Mr. Blue and Jesse!! LOL) :eek:;):fish:

ssevasta
11-08-2017, 12:22 AM
I know this is kind of an old thread but i notice my Discus juveniles passing bubbles too. I think it’s just gas from certain foods or feeding on the surface.