PDA

View Full Version : Filtration advise need for setting up a 60G tank

Cookie_discus
11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
I am planning to setup a 60g with 5-6 adult discus I just only have a AC110 with full of bio rings in it (not the orginal bio media from AC) and some new purgien so I am wondering should I add a big sponge filter on the other corner of the tank or add a ac 70 for more filtration? I dont have enough budget to get a sump but I also dont want a canister filter due to the pain from the maintenance. I had a lot of canister filter before and all of them gave me so many trouble and pain when I do maintenance them.

Willie
11-12-2016, 12:16 AM
I'm partial to sponge filters myself. They're extremely good with biological filtration. In my 75 gal grow out tank, I run 2 sets of double stacked Hydro V's. Each set is driven by an air stone. The tank has no other filtration. My experience with canister filters are like yours.

Also, if you change a lot of water, there just isn't a lot of mechanical filtration required. Of course, if you don't change a lot of water, the choice of filter is less important.

Willie

Ryan925
11-12-2016, 12:29 AM
I am planning to setup a 60g with 5-6 adult discus I just only have a AC110 with full of bio rings in it (not the orginal bio media from AC) and some new purgien so I am wondering should I add a big sponge filter on the other corner of the tank or add a ac 70 for more filtration? I dont have enough budget to get a sump but I also dont want a canister filter due to the pain from the maintenance. I had a lot of canister filter before and all of them gave me so many trouble and pain when I do maintenance them.

My canister takes very little maintenance. I keep seeing that comment but can't figure it out. I use a pre filter on intake and makes it a breeze

With that said I am currently planning a sump

Cookie_discus
11-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Just only two sponge filter for that size tank? how many discus you have in there?

Cookie_discus
11-13-2016, 04:32 PM
I tried Eheim 2215 and fluval 306 and every time they gave me headache when I need to maintain them lol

bluelagoon
11-14-2016, 01:25 PM
I had a 110ac on a 55 gal.with a large colony of tropheus.It did a great job.All I had was two sponges in it.Those 110's are great filters.One of the best I've come across in the past 45 years.

Cookie_discus
11-15-2016, 03:11 AM
Should I add more bio rings in it?

bluelagoon
11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
A sponge with lots of media would be great.

Cookie_discus
11-15-2016, 09:21 PM
I guess I going to run one more sponge just in case.