PDA

View Full Version : Picky Eater....

Discus_Diva
11-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Hi,

I've had my two first Discus in m tank for around 3 weeks now, 2 of them feed actively, one of them practically demanding food whenever you pass the tank but this one dosent seem interested, what can I try to tempt him with? They all are offered frozen Beefheart, Brineshrimp and Bloodworms as well as flake. Don't want to think of him being too hungry. Thanks in advance

RogueDiscus
11-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi Liz,
Sound like you're offering good food. I think the usual questions about your water change routine and water parameters (ammonia, NO2,NO3) are a good place to start before you'll get much feedback. Is he pooping at all and what does it look like? He could still be adjusting or getting picked on, or maybe has a bug. Hard to tell without more info.

Discus_Diva
11-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Water parameters are all within normal ranges, I am currently doing 50% water changes twice a week. When we first got him he was pooping white stringy poops which we treated the tank with a wormer, haven't seen any stringy poops since. As he's not eating as actively as the others his poops are not as noticeable if that makes any sense.

Neptune
11-13-2016, 04:13 PM
try some garlic. easiest is Garlic Gaurd by sea chem.

Discus_Diva
11-13-2016, 04:22 PM
try some garlic. easiest is Garlic Gaurd by sea chem.

Thanks I have used just some crushed fresh garlic in my community tank in the past, just as a "health kick". Will give some a try :)

Filip
11-14-2016, 03:35 AM
How long do you have him in your tank , and did he eat at any point so far?
White stringy poop is usually a sign of Hex , so dewormers can't help him for treating this.
Do you have a equiped QT on hand , in case you need to treat him?

Discus_Diva
11-14-2016, 05:44 AM
How long do you have him in your tank , and did he eat at any point so far?
White stringy poop is usually a sign of Hex , so dewormers can't help him for treating this.
Do you have a equiped QT on hand , in case you need to treat him?

Hi, He's been in the tank 3-4 weeks, he's one of my original "pair". We were advised to worm them as no evidence of being wormed when they were purchased. We haven't seen any sign of the white poops since. He's out and active, free swimming well and showing a good colour not hiding in a corner or head down. I don't currently have a QT tank.

tonytheboss1
11-17-2016, 01:58 PM
:book: Hi Liz, I'm sorry, how many fish total are we talking? Tank size? Is this guy the smallest of the group? Some jump right in & others kinda need coaxing. Your food selection is great once he gets in the groove. As long as he's not sick, he won't starve. My all time finicky recipe is cubed black worms soaked in garlic guard / vita chem. "T"

Clawhammer
11-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Garlic guard is good advice, but nothing gets my discus eating like Al's freeze dried black worms.

Ryan925
11-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Garlic guard is good advice, but nothing gets my discus eating like Al's freeze dried black worms.

No doubt about Als worms. They go crazy for them. I've fed the bip pigment, the regular and now the spinach. They love 'em all. Mine also go crazy for beefheart

I think we all experience the pickiness of discus but eventually they catch on

DISCUS STU
11-17-2016, 04:26 PM
This is common and I've treated in a qt tank with Metro (for potential Hex) and Kanamycin Sulfate (for potential internal infection) for 7-10 days at 90-92 f. This has worked for me in the past, though I don't know if you have access to these meds in the UK. Most fish will eat worms or frozen blood worms if nothing else at the last stage before they stop eating altogether.

I'm not advocating prematurely treating your fish if you can help it but this has worked for me in the past.

The other questions are about environment; gravel or bb (preferred), etc. so as to avoid recurrence of this, though even under the best of circumstances this can seem to crop up.

Good luck, all the best, Stu.

Discus_Diva
11-18-2016, 01:06 PM
:book: Hi Liz, I'm sorry, how many fish total are we talking? Tank size? Is this guy the smallest of the group? Some jump right in & others kinda need coaxing. Your food selection is great once he gets in the groove. As long as he's not sick, he won't starve. My all time finicky recipe is cubed black worms soaked in garlic guard / vita chem. "T"

Hi, We have three Discus, all around the same size 4-5" along with a few Clown Loach and Cardinal Tetra - temporary measure until new tank is up and cycled. They are currently in a 150 litre tank.. but not for much longer. The other 2 are up as soon as someone approaches tank and practically hand feed the BH etc the picky eater hangs around but dosent actually seem to be taking food "falling past his nose".

Discus_Diva
11-18-2016, 01:10 PM
This is common and I've treated in a qt tank with Metro (for potential Hex) and Kanamycin Sulfate (for potential internal infection) for 7-10 days at 90-92 f. This has worked for me in the past, though I don't know if you have access to these meds in the UK. Most fish will eat worms or frozen blood worms if nothing else at the last stage before they stop eating altogether.

I'm not advocating prematurely treating your fish if you can help it but this has worked for me in the past.

The other questions are about environment; gravel or bb (preferred), etc. so as to avoid recurrence of this, though even under the best of circumstances this can seem to crop up.

Good luck, all the best, Stu.

Thanks Stu, don't really want to treat the whole tank unless 100% sure it is (or isn't) Hex, don't want to cause any un-necessary stress or issues by doing so. We are currently gravel substrate but when new tank is cycled it will be a very light sand substrate.

tonytheboss1
11-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Hi, We have three Discus, all around the same size 4-5" along with a few Clown Loach and Cardinal Tetra

:book: 1} Kinda tight quarters for your group (I know u said temp) but sometimes presents problems w/ territorial squabbles.
2} 3 Discus is not an ideal number. Often leads 1 being dominated by the other two. Stress can lead to a bunch of things.
Suggestion: In order for your shy guy to be more comfortable you need to add more space & more Discus (2/3) as soon as u can. "T"

Discus_Diva
11-18-2016, 03:31 PM
:book: 1} Kinda tight quarters for your group (I know u said temp) but sometimes presents problems w/ territorial squabbles.
2} 3 Discus is not an ideal number. Often leads 1 being dominated by the other two. Stress can lead to a bunch of things.
Suggestion: In order for your shy guy to be more comfortable you need to add more space & more Discus (2/3) as soon as u can. "T"

Hi, Yes i know, they were an "impulse" purchase, had fish a number of years and wanted Discus again, saw these guys and bit the bullet. They will be going in a 250 litre tank as soon as its up and cycled, ideally with another couple of Discus tankmates and a number of changes in decor.

DISCUS STU
11-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks Stu, don't really want to treat the whole tank unless 100% sure it is (or isn't) Hex, don't want to cause any un-necessary stress or issues by doing so. We are currently gravel substrate but when new tank is cycled it will be a very light sand substrate.

I should have been clearer. I'm referring to treatment in an a hospital tank, a 10 gal. with an outside power filter, bb, should do fine.

tonytheboss1
11-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi, Yes i know, they were an "impulse" purchase, had fish a number of years and wanted Discus again, saw these guys and bit the bullet. They will be going in a 250 litre tank as soon as its up and cycled, ideally with another couple of Discus tankmates and a number of changes in decor.

FANTASTIC!! You will see an immediate change in behavior & interaction once the move & additions are made. Till then W/C, W/C, W/C is your best course of action. "T"