PDA

View Full Version : White Long Worms in Feces

RobbieRobV
11-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Hello everyone,
First off, I just want to thank whoever may be reading this. Hopefully someone here can reassure that I am doing the right thing... A couple of my Discus have stopped eating for the last 6-7 days and this morning I find white poop in the tank. I looked at it under my microscope and I found some long (2mm & very thin) white worms which are visible to the naked eye but under the microscope they are a bit easier to ID. I will fill out the questionnaire and post some pictures. My plans are to dose with PraziPro for 7 days as stated on my bottle and redose with each water change (which I do 90% or more daily.) I also will be using Metroplex to get rid of any chance that it might be accompanied with Hex and they are too small to notice under my microscope. Does anyone recommend using PraziPro as a dip instead of treating the entire tank or is that less effective?

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Stopped eating about a week ago, swimming still in one section of the tank all day. Overall complete change of attitude since the ones that are behaving like this used to be the most aggressive eaters and the top of the totem pole in hierarchy.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating, using their two bottom small fins ( I believe they are the ventricle fins) to scratch towards their anal opening and twitching of the anal fin. Very random flashing, maybe once every couple of hours each.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Large water changes, increasing the temperature from 82 to 86 and adding Epsom Salts in the last week in order to encourage appetite..

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 Gal, 5 6mo old juvi discus, 4 month old tank, fish are 3-4".

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

90% or more daily, I can't say the exact number but they basically lay down in about 1/2" of water right before I put new aged water as a replacement.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running for 4 months, bare bottom, no substrate whatsoever.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Aged for 24 hours, PH in tank is 7.4, PH in aged water is 7.9.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___86__

- ph __7.4___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __<5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __Tap, very low tds of 58ppm__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

THANK YOU!

RobbieRobV
11-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Anyone have any suggestions or am I on the right track?

RogueDiscus
11-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Hi Robbie,
Sorry you haven't gotten any response yet. I'll see if I can get AL, the forum owner to look at this. He could be helpful.

brewmaster15
11-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Hi Robbie,
Im not sure that the worms you are seeing are parasites or not... but if you are running a barebottom tank and do not feed live foods I would consider them one and use a broad spectrum dewormer like levamisole. I would skip the prazi for now as those are not tape worms by appearence and thats where prazi is most effective. If you are feeding live foods they may be opportunistic hitch hikers from the food.

Either way...Id start by deworming them with levamisole.
Worms can cause the appetite loss you are seeing.
Hth,
Al

brewmaster15
11-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Robbie,
You may find this useful..
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/nematodes.shtml

Al

RobbieRobV
11-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much Al!
I am really grateful that you took the time to answer my post. I will get some levamisole and I will treat accordingly.
Much appreciated!
Rob