PDA

View Full Version : New tank cycle with old sponge

Tindale83
11-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Hi I have bought a 78g tank for discus and looking for info what's gone on in my tank now cycle wise.

Juwel trigon 350 running a new eheim pro 3 2080xl.

Week 1
My discus breeder gave me one of his fillters to run in the tank while my the big eheim cycles. The first week of the tank running I added 20 cardinals his filter and a dose of ammonia to help with the cycle.

Week 2
Added another dose of the ammonia and added my 10 juvenile discus. Discus went darn n shy for two days but fine after that.

Week 3
Added another dose of the ammonia, discus are doing good. Smoking eating 5 times a day, colours really nice. I bought and use the eheim vac to remove the poop and leftover food every night. I've added a few plants on bogwood that was diped to remove pathogens. The water in the tank has been cloudy for about the last 8 days.

Two questions
1 how long till my eheim is cycled and I can remove the little filter I was given by my dealer?
2 this cloudy water, how long till it will clear up and should I change a percentage of the water yet?

My water readings are:
Ammonia 0.2 nitrate 0.2 nitrate around 1-2
PH a steady 6.4 (aged water) 6.4 (tank) temperature is 29. I also have half an inch of play sand bed.

Any advise and help would be great, also how do I provide pics

Akili
11-14-2016, 09:40 AM
First there is no need to add ammonia weekly.The live stock should be generating enough ammonia.Keep testing the water till your readings are Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate less then 10 ppm,With juveniles in the tank 100 % daily water change should be done.

Tindale83
11-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Ivan only do 35% water changes every two days as I do not have the room to keep more than 120ltr drum to age my water and that is why I bought the ehiem vac to cleans poo and left over food every day

bluelagoon
11-14-2016, 12:28 PM
When you added the ammonia on week two;it appears your discus had side effects from being slightly poisoned/contaminated.Never put ammonia in with fish.WC's on a daily basis are needed until they is no ammonia and nitrite reading.