PDA

View Full Version : What should water parameters be at for a cycled tank?

Goon
11-22-2016, 10:55 AM
currently in at around 6 weeks of my cycling stage, used stability from prime to cycle my tank. fish are doing great but just seeking some parameter numbers as guide line to follow

Clawhammer
11-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <10ppm

Basically once your nitrite test comes up clean you are cycled. Nitrite eating bacteria are the slowest to develop.

Goon
11-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Clawhammer, i tested my water last night and my readings were .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. what do you think of these water parameters?

Ryan925
11-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the reply Clawhammer, i tested my water last night and my readings were .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. what do you think of these water parameters?

Tank is not cycled. Hope you are doing large daily water changes until it cycles. Any amount of ammonia is toxic to your fish as well as nitrite until it is eventually converted to nitrate

Clawhammer
11-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Those readings either indicate a fully cycled tank after a large water change or a tank that is not cycled at all. There should be nitrate in a cycled tank. Have you ever detected nitrite when testing?

Goon
11-22-2016, 11:28 AM
yes i have, but it was in the early stages of my cycle.

Clawhammer
11-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you are cycled, just keep doing what you are doing! Even after completing the cycle, it is always good to test your water periodically. I use a SeaChem Ammonia Alert card which I highly recommend.

.25 ammonia is likely from your tap water. Do you know if your locality uses chloramines instead of chlorine for disinfection?

Goon
11-22-2016, 11:49 AM
thanks for the advice claw. Im not sure but i have tested ammonia from my tap water and was told that it is chloramines

Willie
11-22-2016, 12:33 PM
The critical data point is nitrite. If there's any measurable level of nitrite, your tank is not cycled. Ammonium readings depend on the type of dechlor you use. I wouldn't worry about it.

Willie

jocaranz
10-23-2017, 06:04 AM
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <10ppm

Basically once your nitrite test comes up clean you are cycled. Nitrite eating bacteria are the slowest to develop.

Ohhh i see, mine is 0 ammonia, .01 to 0.05 nitrite, 5 nitrate.
So probably mine is still cycling. I used bactosprint as scheduled. My tank is now 3 weeks old going to 4. I uses salt on 2 occasions so i guess that might have slowed down bacterial growth.

Clawhammer
10-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Ohhh i see, mine is 0 ammonia, .01 to 0.05 nitrite, 5 nitrate.
So probably mine is still cycling. I used bactosprint as scheduled. My tank is now 3 weeks old going to 4. I uses salt on 2 occasions so i guess that might have slowed down bacterial growth.

Its almost there :)

Paul Sabucchi
10-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Apologies, I may be getting the message wrong here but what are you adding to cycle the tank? Ammonia? How much and how often? Usually as you progress through the cycle you first get the nitrite peak then nitrates start to accumulate and by the end they are easily above 50mg/l (as you do no water changes during the process). If the whole point of cycling is to transform ammonia into nitrates, then where are your nitrates? Fair enough just before putting your fish in you do a big water change to bring the nitrates right down, but that is just the very last step.

HarryDk
10-24-2017, 07:26 PM
you will see a nitrite spike for a few days, then when it become zero, you are ready!

Filip
10-25-2017, 04:56 AM
Apologies, I may be getting the message wrong here but what are you adding to cycle the tank? Ammonia? How much and how often? Usually as you progress through the cycle you first get the nitrite peak then nitrates start to accumulate and by the end they are easily above 50mg/l (as you do no water changes during the process). If the whole point of cycling is to transform ammonia into nitrates, then where are your nitrates? Fair enough just before putting your fish in you do a big water change to bring the nitrates right down, but that is just the very last step.

Paul there are threads on the forum that detaly explains the "fishless cycle" procedure and amounts and type of ammonia added . As I recal 2-4 ppm ammonia where maintained in the water through constant redosing and parameter measuring . If the filter can process 4 ppm ammonia into nitrates without any detectable Nitrites in a short period of hours that means that the filter is ready for heavy bioload . Not too sure at this moment about the doses though , you better check that info again .

And some people do Change water regulary during the cycle , one good reason I can think of is maintaining the PH To a neutral level because if the water becomes too acidic the cycle process may stall and nitrosomonas and nitrobacter can start to die off .

Paul Sabucchi
10-25-2017, 06:30 AM
I aggree Fillip, that is how I cycle all my tanks (keeping them at about 4 mg/l ammonia). I was just asking the guy who posted the question a bit more background info to be able to give him a more appropriate reply. He said he is 6 weeks in, added Prime and fish seem ok.