PDA

View Full Version : New Tank - Stocking Options

Pruss
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Good morning Simply Discus.

In perusing the suppliers with available stock and their prices I am left with some interesting choices.

Option 1 - I can bring in a group 8 - 10 domestic discus from a premium provider all between 2.5" to 3". These are tank bred, and raised in tap.
Option 2 - I can bring in a group of 6 wild discus at 5.5" to 6.5". These are wild caught and have only been in tanks for a month.

I'm running a 79g tank: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119092-Pruss-79g-(Eventually)-Planted-Discus-Tank-Journal

The data points I'm considering in weighing this decision are:
- Relative ease of acclimating tank bred and tank raised discus to a new tank vs. potential challenge with acclimating wilds
- Cost of raising 8 - 10 small fish to adulthood re. food, water changes, time vs. bringing in adult fish
- Tank requirements of tank bred fish vs. wilds (water chemistry & lighting primarily)

What else should I consider?

For an experienced hobbyist that is new to discus, which option would you recommend? Why?

Thanks in advance for your thougths.

-- Pat

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2016, 11:27 AM
What is your water like? If your water is wilds friendly I would be tempted to go with wilds. Why, nice challenge and cheaper then raising a group of juvies (plus a little personal preference throw in :D).
Pat

Pruss
11-24-2016, 11:43 AM
What is your water like? If your water is wilds friendly I would be tempted to go with wilds. Why, nice challenge and cheaper then raising a group of juvies (plus a little personal preference throw in :D).
Pat

Thanks for the thoughts Pat. If I go with wilds I'll likely take the tank black water; or black water-ish (peat filtration and or Inidan almond leaf). I have run black water tanks in the past with dwarf cichlids and angels to great affect and do like the look of biotope tanks. I do like the look of wilds, and think they are truly impressive in a group. My only hesitation is simply around nerves, I've never brought in wilds before and worry about acclimation and transitioning them to tank life. I'm, perhaps, gun-shy.

The happy alternative is to wait for a few months until someone local has F1s from wild parents. This looks like it might be a realistic option come spring.

-- Pat

Ryan925
11-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Pat. If I go with wilds I'll likely take the tank black water; or black water-ish (peat filtration and or Inidan almond leaf). I have run black water tanks in the past with dwarf cichlids and angels to great affect and do like the look of biotope tanks. I do like the look of wilds, and think they are truly impressive in a group. My only hesitation is simply around nerves, I've never brought in wilds before and worry about acclimation and transitioning them to tank life. I'm, perhaps, gun-shy.

The happy alternative is to wait for a few months until someone local has F1s from wild parents. This looks like it might be a realistic option come spring.

-- Pat

I have a group of domestics but I have really been drawn into the look of the wilds.

Another option for you would be wild crosses so that you get that wild look with benefits of tank bred domestics. Seems our sponsors are bringing in more and more of the wild crosses and they are beautiful. Just got one myself. I believe a few months back one of the Canadian suppliers had a nice variety of wild crosses from Forrest. All my fish are from Forrest by way of Kenny and I couldn't be happier

Phillydubs
11-26-2016, 01:19 AM
Pat

Sounds like you have some fun options on your hands ! Always cool to make these win win decisions!

What type of wilds ?

If I were you I would go w the wilds for sure! Have you asked the supplier how they have been doing in his water ? Are they local to you? Will you Be usingj similar water ?

I just sold off my domestics and crosses and have a group of wilds and may be adding to them. I just love the look of wild discus and that true beauty. Don't get me wrong domestics are striking as well. I'm also not a fan of growing out. I prefer to let the maters do that and reap their hard work ! Lol

If it makes you feel any better I do zero special to my water. Just age 24 hrs a splash of prime and in. They get water changes every other day of 50% that's it.

woopaul5
11-26-2016, 01:47 AM
I'm with Pat and Phil but I'm the same as them on personal preference. I went the juvi's route and didn't have the skill at first and definitely did not have the patience to grow them out.

I've went a few routes with water with my wilds. I did a 80/20 RO/tap mix filtered through peat at first but did not like the "tea" look. Then I did straight 80/20 but became obsessed with lower stable pH. So now I use RODI remindralized with replenish and discus trace to a pH of 6, TDS 60-70, and 2 on gH. Fish have been happy and I have had a breeding pair for quite awhile with this mixture. They're taking a break right now but I think they'll start back up in a few months.

Pruss
11-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the thoughts folks.

The wilds that are currently available are Cameta Brown Discus and are already 5.5"+. They are not available locally and would be flown in. The vendor is wel regarded, but I've found him to be abrupt in his emails.

The F1s which I'm hoping may be available in the Spring are from Cuiepeua parents. The breeder is very well regarded and has been providing high quality stock from high quality parents for a very long time in my area. He has two breeding pairs practicing at the moment; but none rearing dry.

Right now I'm leaning toward the latter option. The breeder is someone that I feel I could count on for guidance and support. That's pretty important to me.

-- Pat