PDA

View Full Version : Is this amount of bullying OK? (Video)

BmoreBraap
11-28-2016, 03:43 PM
I apologize for bringing up a constantly asked about topic, but figured each case is a little different and wanted to SHOW exactly what's going on.

Brief description-got my first Discus over the weekend from Hans. I grabbed 4 3" juvies as my current tank is only 40 gallons. Before anyone looses their mind, please know I have a 125g currently cycling in my basement for their upgrade tank.

On to the issue...as you can see below my blue diamond is an *******. It's not constant, but pretty frequent and really bad around feedings like in the video below. He seems to not care as the food drops in and let's the others eat, but as soon as the other 3 back off a little, he protects the remaining 25% of food like its offspring and won't let them near. I do watch all of the other 3 eat though.
Should I add anymore fish, do anything or is this just normal fish hierarchy?
Here's the video....thanks for any help.

http://youtu.be/JvRDACuN26k

Sorry for the crappy quality-not sure why that came out so bad

Clawhammer
11-28-2016, 05:02 PM
That is perfectly normal. Actually, if I don't see that kind of activity, I worry my discus aren't feeling right. These guys are just establishing a pecking order, which will be constantly in flux as they outgrow eachother and eventually begin to pair off as adults. The only time bullying is actually an issue is if the runt is completely prevented from eating or there is physical damage. Otherwise, this is normal discus socializing.

Clawhammer
11-28-2016, 05:03 PM
The more discus the more spread out the aggression is as well. I think I recall that you are planning on adding more and when you do that you will see less concentrated bullying.

BmoreBraap
11-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Cooll. I actually watched them for about an hour straight and they went back to normal schooling within 5-10 min, so it's just with food out.
And yes once the 125 is set up I'll get 6 more their size with some corys and cardinals. Thanks for the reply.

atlantadiscus
11-28-2016, 05:36 PM
My situation was very similar to yours.....5 3" Discus from Hans in a 56 gallon tank.Blue Diamond ruled like a Trump,his way or the highway.Chased every other fish in the tank,did not want them to get any food,even if HE was not eating.One finally gave up{my favorite little checkerboard},and hid for 2 weeks,not even coming out to eat-I had to do something,so another 3 discus were ordered from Hans even though I really did not want the load of 8 vs 5 fish in this tank.Newbies arrived,little checkerboard is now a player,and Mr.Diamond is forced to spread his aggression among a much larger audience,giving the others a break.

BmoreBraap
11-28-2016, 06:19 PM
My situation was very similar to yours.....5 3" Discus from Hans in a 56 gallon tank.Blue Diamond ruled like a Trump,his way or the highway.Chased every other fish in the tank,did not want them to get any food,even if HE was not eating.One finally gave up{my favorite little checkerboard},and hid for 2 weeks,not even coming out to eat-I had to do something,so another 3 discus were ordered from Hans even though I really did not want the load of 8 vs 5 fish in this tank.Newbies arrived,little checkerboard is now a player,and Mr.Diamond is forced to spread his aggression among a much larger audience,giving the others a break.

Good to know more fish did fix the issue....my fire red who is the smallest seems to be taking it the worst. Ill keep a close eye on him and if it worsens ill try adding another fish or 2 and do more water changes until the 125 is ready. Im lucky Han is only about a 30 min drive from my house.

atlantadiscus
11-28-2016, 07:03 PM
I lived in the Towson/Timonium areas for decades,miss being so close to the Discus pimp!

BmoreBraap
11-28-2016, 09:59 PM
I lived in the Towson/Timonium areas for decades,miss being so close to the Discus pimp!

Thats right I remember you mentioning that in another thread. He was great and his shop is amazing. Cant beat that for a first time Discus buying experience-I was overwhelmed.

Jack L
11-28-2016, 11:47 PM
nothing alarming there. video was helpful.

they look young, it you observe over time, you might see that the bully eventually becomes the bullied.

JohnniG
11-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Looks exactly like mine :)