PDA

View Full Version : Stopping by with an update :)

Discus_Diva
12-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Hi guys, Thought i'd pop by with an update as a few said you would be interested. New tank is now up and cycling, I think you may see a few changes. Currently waiting on cycle to finish and then go and collect my new Discus from a UK breeder ;) For now new tankmates are a small schoal of Rummy Nose Tetra.

Kyla
12-02-2016, 08:04 AM
i love the simplicity of it. i would recommend to take it one step further and get a simpler background, just a plain colour or two colours blended etc. that way the fish will stand out more. i find that busy backgrounds can detract from the fish. but thats totally my personal taste. i once saw a backlit background that i loved on youtube which i want to try someday. i also like the single piece of decor, and all the swimming space. cant wait to see the fish in there!

Kyla
12-02-2016, 08:07 AM
i found the video! https://youtu.be/CsbB7FWJEoE

two utes
12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Love your tank Liz but tend to agree with Kyla about the backing. Thanks for the link to that video Kyla. Might give it a go. love it!

Ryan925
12-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I would agree with Joe and Kyla as well. The discus should be the stars of the tank.

Love the nice clean look of your tank though. Nice job

Just noticed something else. Is that tank drilled? Is that the intake and return from a canister coming up from the floor?

Pompadour Discus
12-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Wow I love that driftwood! I have been walking around searching for the perfect piece in my area. Haven't found one yet, but the next warmish day we get I'm heading to the woods and I'm not leaving til I find one :)

Discus_Diva
12-03-2016, 01:28 AM
I would agree with Joe and Kyla as well. The discus should be the stars of the tank.

Love the nice clean look of your tank though. Nice job

Just noticed something else. Is that tank drilled? Is that the intake and return from a canister coming up from the floor?

Hi Ryan, yes the pipes are inlet/outlet from a Fluvial external filter. Thanks all, will see how the background goes once the fish are in but for now I'm happy with it. 😊

Willie
12-03-2016, 10:48 AM
i found the video! https://youtu.be/CsbB7FWJEoE

She's never going to be able to keep that tank clean.:eek:

A simpler approach is to paint the back of your tank. I paint three sides and the bottom with a light blue paint - 4 coats. Then the backs and sides are wrapped with insulation. The tank sits on a pink styrofoam board. Looks great and saves on the electrical bill.

Willie

Jenene
12-03-2016, 11:12 AM
I had another idea for the back light if you like the idea of it. I think this is nice because you can change the color of it. The King of DIY did his own version of lighting using LEDs that you can control with a remote and change the colors. So morning could be white or a light color and evening you could do the sunset hues. We actually have these lights under our mantel lighting up the stone face of the fireplace and my son just installed some on a food truck so they are very versatile. This guy takes it to aquarium lighting. You can adapt it as you need to and still hang it on the back like Kyla's video. Just a thought... Here is the video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYC3obFY4w

Or the easier basic version is all you may need...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSxJymRBak&feature=iv&src_vid=_EYC3obFY4w&annotation_id=video%3A378d36f1-2fe3-4856-a9a3-b8890db9707f

Ryan925
12-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I had another idea for the back light if you like the idea of it. I think this is nice because you can change the color of it. The King of DIY did his own version of lighting using LEDs that you can control with a remote and change the colors. So morning could be white or a light color and evening you could do the sunset hues. We actually have these lights under our mantel lighting up the stone face of the fireplace and my son just installed some on a food truck so they are very versatile. This guy takes it to aquarium lighting. You can adapt it as you need to and still hang it on the back like Kyla's video. Just a thought... Here is the video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYC3obFY4w

Or the easier basic version is all you may need...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSxJymRBak&feature=iv&src_vid=_EYC3obFY4w&annotation_id=video%3A378d36f1-2fe3-4856-a9a3-b8890db9707f

That's pretty cool. I might consider using my finnex 24/7 as a backlight for my tank when I finally get my stand build going.

Ryan925
12-03-2016, 12:14 PM
She's never going to be able to keep that tank clean.:eek:

A simpler approach is to paint the back of your tank. I paint three sides and the bottom with a light blue paint - 4 coats. Then the backs and sides are wrapped with insulation. The tank sits on a pink styrofoam board. Looks great and saves on the electrical bill.

Willie

Once it's painted there is no going back. What if you decide you don't like it? What if the color doesn't do well for your fish?

I've used an even simpler approach than that. I have gotten the thinnest color sheet they have at tap plastics. Cut it to size and slide it right between the upper and lower rims of my tank. Can slide it in easily with tank backed up to the wall. Can easily change color of you wish. Sheet is like $7
Personally I like the backlit idea.
Would also hate seeing a shiny chrome tank on all sides and not be able to see my fish. That's just me.

Jenene
12-03-2016, 12:14 PM
That's pretty cool. I might consider using my finnex 24/7 as a backlight for my tank when I finally get my stand build going.

I actually did this by accident on my QT. I had spray painted the bottom and 3 sides to give them some security an off white. I put a clamp light above the tank but it was too bright for acclimating the new fish. I tipped it toward the back and the soft glow was perfect. It wasn't color changing but the effect was the same.

Jenene
12-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Sorry Liz,
I meant to say your tank is beautiful but got caught up in all my links, I went a bit crazy- I hope you don't mind us piping in our opinions (most of us are just trying to be helpful) but in the end you do what makes you and the fish happy. Love the wood, the clean open space. What ever fish you choose will be lucky to have you. Maybe some day down the road you may want to try the lighting or not. My tank divides 2 rooms so I can't do it but I do know some of us are constantly evolving and changing things to fit our moods and creativity. Mine is surely a work in progress-still a bit too sterile but I have some plans for it. On the other end some go for the utilitarian approach. Keep us posted and I can't wait to see pics of your fish!

Ryan925
12-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Sorry Liz,
I meant to say your tank is beautiful but got caught up in all my links, I went a bit crazy- I hope you don't mind us piping in our opinions (most of us are just trying to be helpful) but in the end you do what makes you and the fish happy. Love the wood, the clean open space. What ever fish you choose will be lucky to have you. Maybe some day down the road you may want to try the lighting or not. My tank divides 2 rooms so I can't do it but I do know some of us are constantly evolving and changing things to fit our moods and creativity. Mine is surely a work in progress-still a bit too sterile but I have some plans for it. On the other end some go for the utilitarian approach. Keep us posted and I can't wait to see pics of your fish!

+1
Love the clean look. Will look great with a colorful group of discus in there.