PDA

View Full Version : Broad spectrum Medication for (suspected) unknown internal parasite

Dhavalsp
12-02-2016, 11:27 AM
What is your go to broad spectrum medications for internal issues? specifically if Metronidazole did not show any progress.

One of my fish suddenly stopped eating about a month ago, I did Metro treatment 8 days (400mg/10G)..it did not solve the issue completely but got him pecking at the food, few days later all fish stopped eating. I am in middle of second Metro treatment for entire tank but I don't see any progress. I am planning to stop it ( day 5 today) and try something more broad spectrum.

I don't see any external symptoms on body at all, apart from they not eating, resulting in more listless activity. fish literally face the black background for first half of the day and then move around a little more in later half (when the lights are on).

I am considering Tetra's parasite guard, treating them in a 40 Gallons, so 4 tablets - any suggestions or recommendations on doses.

Any other broad spectrum med I should consider there is something from API as well.

Thanks for your help.

regards,

dhaval

Dhavalsp
12-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Here is a small video of these guys... please let me know what you think. I am really concerned about heavy breathing with one gill in one discus ... last few seconds....

https://youtu.be/QATg670NM7U

warblad79
12-03-2016, 01:56 AM
I used parasite guard for broad spectrum

sayid
12-03-2016, 04:27 AM
i had same problem and this is what i did.
. increase temp to 95 f over 48 hours .
. use EHEIM heater to get to 95 f .
. use 400 mg per gallon metro over 12 days with one day rest in between so that means 6 dosage of metro .
. employ a couple of air stone .
. if you are treating the whole tank remove other fish and plant .
. you need to have BB tank for treatment
. just before metro clean tank and do 30 -50 % w/c and lightly clean your sponge filter .
. feed absolutely minimum food till day 6 .
you will not see any improvement for the first 6 days after that you can add the metro to a small amount of water after 10 min when it is dissolved add small amount of FDBW and wait for 15 min and put it in the tank .
. do not switch the light on while medication is on i.e medicate just before you going to bed .
. before medication add 1 TBS of epsom salt per gallon to the water to clean the intestine of the fish .
good luck
sayid

sayid
12-03-2016, 04:31 AM
sorry i meant 400 mg of metro per 10 gallon of water .
my apologies.
sayid

Second Hand Pat
12-03-2016, 07:44 AM
. before medication add 1 TBS of epsom salt per gallon to the water to clean the intestine of the fish .
good luck
sayid

Should that be two teaspoon per 10 gallons? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25743-Difference-between-Epsom-salt-and-regular-salt&highlight=epsom+salt.
Pat

Dhavalsp
12-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks sayid and warblad!

I went with API's general cure (my lfs pushed it harder than general cure) which is metro + Prazi - going to follow the instructions...dosed 4 packets for 40 gallon... I will do WC after 48 hours and then redose... AL's fdbw are on the way ...

I think after that I am going to let them fight their own battle... I can see they are better in 12 hours of treatment ... I hope it goes better...

Warblad, if I had seen your message earlier you would have tilted me towards parasite guard... the only reason I didn't go with it is because they did not mention the the quantity of active ingredient in the packet... which was a bit worrisome...

Wish me luck... I will keep you posted.. they finished 9 months at my place last week and I was suppose to post my update in the journal section... I hope to do that in a week or two when they are eating and happy again!

- dhaval