PDA

View Full Version : Albino Free Swimmers Attached Within A Couple Of Hours

NoMondays
12-02-2016, 07:38 PM
This is a first for me. Up until today the only success I've had raising albino wrigglers has been to raise them artificially. AND doing so is very, very time consuming.

There are articles that have stated albino fry are blinded by room lighting. Some articles claim it's the color of the light that has a bearing. Please don't take this wrongly . . . I'm not saying others are wrong in any way, just saying I've tried many options without results. This is something that has worked for me, so conversely (Haha!) it may not work for you! :)

It's necessary that I explain this tank set up and lighting because some of it seems to play a key part in the attachment phase for albino fry. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder with white paint on the bottom, sides, and rear glass. Two tanks are stacked onto a bare bones steel rack purchased from a “Big Box Store”. There's a 14 watt fluorescent light placed diagonally across one rear corner. One large (over-sized) sponge filter is encircled with a white plastic fine mesh to mask it's dark color from the free swimmers. Additionally there's a Marineland in-tank canister filter with a polishing cartridge.

The parents are a forced marriage consisting of a 2.5 year old proven RT Albino male and a nearly 1 year old proven RT/Albino female (home bred intermediate). This past Sunday afternoon the pair chose to spawn on the tank wall instead of a conveniently placed PVC pipe. There were about 70 eggs. By Wednesday morning 50-60 wrigglers remained. The ratio seemed 60% RT and 40% Albino.

Previous experience has proven that albino fry seem to be blinded by anything more than very weak and indirect lighting. So, during Wednesday afternoon I removed the fluorescent light from the corner of the tank and leaned it against the painted side. A limited amount of diffused light shines through the paint.

During the night, by morning of day four (Thursday) the pair had moved the wrigglers onto the PVC. At this point there were perhaps 40 wrigglers on the PVC and the ratio continued at 60/40. Anticipating free swimmers, I shut down the in-tank polishing filter.

Sometime before early morning of day five (Friday) the free swimming phase took place and nearly all the fry were attached to the female. There were a few albino free swimmers aimlessly swimming around. Ah-Ha! There was sunshine from a nearby window casting a beam into the tank. Using a turkey baster I drew up the wayward free swimmers and re-positioned them to a shaded area near the female parent. Then I shielded the tank from sunlight using cardboard. Within 30 minutes the albino free swimmers found and attached to the female.

What was observed for this occasion was the albino's attached to the intermediate within a couple of hours of free swimming. The attachment occurred in a 40 gallon breeder tank and the water level was not lowered.

This is anecdotal evidence.
IN A NUTSHELL - -
Very low intensity, diffused lighting, provided primarily from one side might provide the albino free swimmers less confusion as well as a stronger contrast for attraction to a parent. Perhaps it's overhead lighting as well as lighting that's too strong which confuses albino free swimmers.

At a later date I'll be using the same (or similar ?) technique in a further attempt to cement what appears to have worked for this particular spawn.

NoMondays
12-02-2016, 10:47 PM
WOW! Really encouraging! When the female shrugs and darts to exchange the fry, they attach to the albino male to feed!
After a while the fry migrate back to the female RT.
This is commonly seen with plain Discus parents but the first I've observed with a mixed Albino and solid strain. :)
Surprising to see the fry IMMEDIATELY attach to the Albino!
:) R.E.A.L.L.Y FUN TO WATCH!!!!!

Willie
12-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Very interesting. Maybe a picture would clarify for everyone?

Willie

NoMondays
12-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Rod
12-03-2016, 05:14 PM
I don't think attachment to an intermediate has ever been a problem, that is if I understood you correctly Stan. It is attachment to pure albinos that is the problem. But even then it does occur, some pairs of pure albinos are great parents. Just the majority are not.

You might be interested in this thread on this very subject. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71884-Albino-Breeding-Think-Tank

NoMondays
12-03-2016, 09:00 PM
I don't think attachment to an intermediate has ever been a problem, that is if I understood you correctly Stan. It is attachment to pure albinos that is the problem. But even then it does occur, some pairs of pure albinos are great parents. Just the majority are not.

You might be interested in this thread on this very subject. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71884-Albino-Breeding-Think-Tank

Greetings Rod! Thank you for your reply! I've read the link you supplied (over again) and overwhelmingly agree with the majority of the input.

It's my fault for injecting confusion in that I failed to clearly state an attachment of Albino fry to an intermediate was NOT deemed to be a problem. What did surprise me was the speed of the attachment (which I didn't witness). What happened was . . . . in late evening the wrigglers were on the PVC, then early the following morning they had attached with the female. Not to say it had never been observed in the past but personally I had not experienced that speedy attachment with 'normal' discus in the past, and had never seen it occur among albino's.

The purpose of my input was to indicate I'd placed limited and diffused lighting from only one side of the aquarium and blocked other lighting.

A FAIL OCCURRED . . .
Sadly, at 05:30AM this morning when looking in on the attached fry I saw that the cardboard covering the top had collapsed into the water. I removed the mess from the water and hoped contaminants from the cardboard had not created any pollution. Most of the fry had detached from the female and were wandering but the water seemed to be clear.

At 9:00AM perhaps 20 fry had reattached, but the water in the tank had a gray cloudy appearance and many fry were wandering.

I immediately removed approximately 90% of tank water . . adding aged-heated water about 5 to 7 gallons periodically over a time span of an hour so as not to overly shock the fry any more than they'd already experienced.

As of 7:45PM all I see is about 20 attached fry and only a couple wanderers.
Of the attached fry perhaps two seem to be albino.

. . . . lesson learned . . . secure cardboard in a better fashion or use a better option.

:(
Later, after being able to count/review the albino's it's likely I'll cull this spawn and try again with another from this same pair.
We'll see how it goes . . . . I'd like to hold onto the albino's. My goal is to see if offspring size has increased.

allwet
12-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Thank you for this story . i have a pair of red Eagles , on their fifth spawn now , they care well for the eggs and keep close to the free swimmers once they jump off the cone .
it's the little guys that just don't get it , 1 in a 100 attach ! , they just keep swimming until they starve and are done for .....So I was planning artificial rearing but this is another
way to approach this situation . it's worth a definite try .thx again .

CliffsDiscus
12-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Thank you for this story . i have a pair of red Eagles , on their fifth spawn now , they care well for the eggs and keep close to the free swimmers once they jump off the cone .
it's the little guys that just don't get it , 1 in a 100 attach ! , they just keep swimming until they starve and are done for .....So I was planning artificial rearing but this is another
way to approach this situation . it's worth a definite try .thx again .

This has nothing to do with albinos but since jumpers off the cone were mentioned this is
a sign of a premature batch and yes they do
starve to death once their egg sags emptys.
Better luck on next spawn, I think your getting
close sucess.
Cliff