PDA

View Full Version : Firehose for Water Change, thoughts?

Jack L
12-03-2016, 12:24 PM
i currently use a sump pump and 5/8 hose to pump from holding vessel in basement up to the tank on first floor.
trying to speed up process.

the 3/4 hoses i find look heavy duty.

any thoughts on using this? though, at 50' it will be a bit short.
http://www.firehosedirect.com/White-1-x-50-Double-Jacket-Hose-Brass-GHT-Couplings

Leland F.
12-03-2016, 12:43 PM
1.5" PVC with pressure fittings would work best. Secure the pipe well, sump pumps shake the lines a bit. Try to keep the line 1.5" as far as possible. When you restrict a sump pump under 1.5" outlet it shortens the life of the pump, assuming you're using a standard sump pump with a 1.5" outlet. If it's a 1" or 3/4" outlet on the pump, it's made for small applications like pumping off pool covers, and those pumps don't tend to have much power. A cast iron bodied pump like a Zoeller, is best, and will move a lot of water, very quickly.

-Leland

RogueDiscus
12-03-2016, 12:47 PM
My question is whether it's drinking water quality or not, and if that matters. I wouldn't use a regular garden hose, but it does say it's for camping use.
Leland, I think it's going to be great having someone with your plumbing expertise around here!

Leland F.
12-03-2016, 12:57 PM
FYI, garden hose is safe for water lines, just not the best option. Pex, or PVC would be a much better option. There are some concerns with PVC leaching plasisizers and tin, but that's not the biggest concern to discus keepers because of the amount of water we have to change. Reef aquariums tend to accumulate some of the heavy metals, and new ICP testing methods are showing that.

I've got a fair amount of experience in plumbing, I do a lot of high end water heater and boiler installations, and I've kept aquariums most of my life. I'm excited to show you guys my fishroom build and how I'll change my water.

-Leland

Phillydubs
12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Where are you from Leland?

Leland F.
12-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm in Evansville, Indiana.

-Leland

Jack L
12-04-2016, 10:00 PM
this is the pump i use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJR5F6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pressure fitting, you mean the type that just screw tighten and don't need glue?

i haven't been able to convince myself to run permanent line, and cut holes through wall. i drag the hose up and reel it back each time.
i was thinking this would reduce the time it takes to pump he water up from the holding vessel since its a lot larger than standard garden hoses. by how much though, i don't know.

LizStreithorst
12-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Do you happen to know Jim vineyard? He a fish guy from Evansvlle.

Leland F.
12-05-2016, 12:44 PM
That's not a bad pump for what you're using it for. You wouldn't want to install one like that in your home, but it will move water just fine. When I refer to pressure PVC fittings, I mean full length fittings that have a 1"-1.5" depth you glue into. There are drainage fittings that have half the depth, and I would worry they might come apart under pressure. You want to stay away from using threaded fittings if you can with PVC, as they are prone to splitting. It's always better to glue the PVC properly.
I use a 1" braided poly hose with a ball valve on the end to transfer water to my reef tank. I'll post a picture tonight of my water holding tanks and how I pump the water.

-Leland

Leland F.
12-05-2016, 12:48 PM
No I haven't met him I don't think at least. Is he on this forum?

-Leland

LizStreithorst
12-05-2016, 12:49 PM
No he's not.

Second Hand Pat
12-05-2016, 01:47 PM
FYI, garden hose is safe for water lines, just not the best option. Pex, or PVC would be a much better option. There are some concerns with PVC leaching plasisizers and tin, but that's not the biggest concern to discus keepers because of the amount of water we have to change. Reef aquariums tend to accumulate some of the heavy metals, and new ICP testing methods are showing that.

I've got a fair amount of experience in plumbing, I do a lot of high end water heater and boiler installations, and I've kept aquariums most of my life. I'm excited to show you guys my fishroom build and how I'll change my water.

-Leland

Hi Leland, I would suggest caution with garden hoses for aquarium use since many contain coatings which are not fish safe...mold inhibitors and such.
Pat

jmf3460
12-05-2016, 02:31 PM
The hose in your link is not a garden hose. it has an EPDM liner. I work in food and beverage sales, EPDM is 100% safe for your fish tank. EPDM is an FDA, USDA and 3A (dairy) approved material. If it is good enough for our food to pass through, it will be perfect for a fish tank. it has zero residue/odor or taste

Leland F.
12-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Hi Leland, I would suggest caution with garden hoses for aquarium use since many contain coatings which are not fish safe...mold inhibitors and such.
Pat

True, I forgot about all the varieties of hoses. Transferring water with a hose of any sort would likely be ok, not ideal of course, using them as permanent water lines with circulating water in them would be a bad idea I'm sure.

-Leland

Leland F.
12-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Here's my current water holding tanks. They're both 65 gal poly tanks with independent circulation pumps. I have unions on the outlets where I can hook up a 50' length of 1" braided vinyl hose with a ball valve on the end of it, so I can transfer water when needed. I'm going to put 3 larger tanks in soon, but for now these have worked well. I wired the outets for the pumps so I can leave the pumps plugged in, and turn them on seperately by flipping a switch above.104837104838

Leland F.
12-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Well I tried to spin he images so they were vertical, but that didn't happen. Lol