PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Prime

aweitzelleishman
12-04-2016, 11:09 AM
My LFS had a clearance sale on a dechlorinator, (literally $2 a bottle) so I bought a couple and have been using that since I got my 9 juvies. They're doing fine, but I'm now running out, because the regular dose has me putting in 1floz a day.

I'm switching over to prime. Is there a way I should do this? I add my dechlorinator to a barrel and it sits for 12 hours before being used. I wasn't sure if I should mix half an half to get the tank used to the new formula?

It may sound like a stupid question, but I actually had nightmares the other night about losing my fish! Ha, I must be going crazy.

Akili
12-04-2016, 11:32 AM
You can do the same with Prime just like your old dechlorinator follow the directions of dosage on the bottle of Prime

rickztahone
12-04-2016, 04:00 PM
My suggestion would be to add the prime literally right before the water change. If you add the prime to your barrel you will get a film on the inside of your barrel eventually. If you don't use the dechlor ahead of time it does not develop this film.

If you haven't bought the prime already, look in to buying Seachem SAFE. It is the exact thing as prime but in powder form. It is much better bang for your buck and will last you a life time.

jim LI
12-05-2016, 09:49 AM
I use safe and i don't dose the barrel. i dose the tank then add my water from my aging barrel. safe acts immediately to dechlorinate the water

Clawhammer
12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Definitely dose the tank instead of the barrel. If your water contains chloramines, dosing a water conditioner creates ammonium, which is the perfect food for algae and bacteria.

aweitzelleishman
12-05-2016, 12:53 PM
My issue is that I change roughly 20 gallons a time, 3 times a day (when I vacuum). Using safe would mean using a microscopic amount every time. I keep reading that it's safe to overdose - I even noticed it on a thread that's active right now. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for the input. I bought some prime so I'll dose the tank with that for now.

aweitzelleishman
12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Claw, I don't think it contains chloramines. I contacted my water company and the lady didn't even know what they were.. Always being safe though.

Ryan
12-06-2016, 05:13 AM
I've never overdosed with Safe. Something like 1/4 teaspoon treats 300 gallons but I use a teaspoon measure to add it to my 75 gallon tanks in the fish room and there's no problem. Just get yourself a small measuring spoon, 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon, and you'll be fine. It's best to overdose it a bit anyway in case the city flushes the lines with extra chlorine/chloramine without notifying you. I've seen several people lose fish that way.

aweitzelleishman
12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Do you dose safe for the whole tank, or just the new tap water? My tank is a 125 BB.

Clawhammer
12-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Do you dose safe for the whole tank, or just the new tap water? My tank is a 125 BB.

Whole tank.

rickztahone
12-06-2016, 08:37 PM

always for all the water volume, not just what you are adding in.

Jenene
12-06-2016, 09:31 PM
always for all the water volume, not just what you are adding in.

I was grateful to learn this the last time this came up not long ago. I was under dosing- just the water I was adding. I had never realized that the untreated water diluted the dose. Thanks again for that.