PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please....

Discus_Diva
12-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking at some fish and trying to get good ideas about "good and bad" fish. Could you guys tell me how these 2 are looking.. good shape? any stunting? Trying to learn before I go to choose my fish (these particular fish are not from the breeder I plan to use).

This last one I think looks a reasonable shape and love his markings and colour (altho stand to be corrected)

Second Hand Pat
12-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Liz, these are all examples of what not to buy. Check out this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy. I would suggest browsing thru some of the shipment pictures of our sponsors to get a feel on how young, healthy discus should look.
Pat

Discus_Diva
12-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Liz, these are all examples of what not to buy. Check out this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy. I would suggest browsing thru some of the shipment pictures of our sponsors to get a feel on how young, healthy discus should look.
Pat

Thanks Pat, The top two photo's I definitely had my doubts on, the third one less so. These Discus are from a well known breeder and supplied to "Aquatic Stores" so you (or I would) expect better. Will go and have another browse on your link. Thanks again :)

Pompadour Discus
12-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Yeah unfortunately, I wouldn't waste my money on any of them. I would check out the sponsor section as well but I have one more suggestion. There are a few long-standing members here that I have seen selling good stock as well. Not sure if they ship to the UK but you can ask. But make sure your checking post from members that have been contributing to simply discus for a long while. There are a lot of people I have noticed that have created accounts just to sell their stock. And we dont know anything about them or have any history of their stock.

Second Hand Pat
12-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Liz, there is a good chance the discus looked great when they were shipped to the store but most LFSs do not know how to care for young discus and the fish suffer over time due to lack of food and clean water. The fish in the third picture is not as bad but it's eye does appear large (and cloudy). I would really suggest getting fish directly from the breed/importer/vendor if possible. Once fish hit the water at the LFS they are generally exposed to lots of possible nasty things.
Pat

Discus_Diva
12-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Liz, there is a good chance the discus looked great when they were shipped to the store but most LFSs do not know how to care for young discus and the fish suffer over time due to lack of food and clean water. The fish in the third picture is not as bad but it's eye does appear large (and cloudy). I would really suggest getting fish directly from the breed/importer/vendor if possible. Once fish hit the water at the LFS they are generally exposed to lots of possible nasty things.
Pat

Pat I agree, I am currently in talks with a well regarded UK breeder and all being well should be choosing my selection fairly soon :)

John_Nicholson
12-05-2016, 09:03 AM
LFS are world famous for messing up both fish and reputations. Neither are the fault of the supplier...LOL....

-john