PDA

View Full Version : sump with foam

Neptune
12-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Rather than fully hijack the other thread I thought I would start a new thread in case anyone has questions.
Here is how I built my sump. After a lot of research, I designed and built everything from scratch last winter. It was a great project.

The sump is feed by a nearly cost-to-coast weir into an external box with bean animal drains with 2" pvc to the sump.

Water comes into the back right chamber, that is the full siphon and extra drain.
That chamber is divided in half and some of the water has to flow under the partition to the front chamber and up through the scrubbies.

The first intake and scrubbie chambers overflow into the second chamber and has to flow DOWN through 30ppi poret. There are two 4" X 4" chunks in there; that's the blue stuff. They are cut to length so the seal the chamber on all sides. In other words, water has to go through the foam. It can't get around the edges.

The blue chamber exits out the bottom and the water most flow UP through the edge of a 12" X 12" sheet of 50 ppi poret.

From there it spills over into the pump chamber.

The emergancy overflow dumps right into the pump chamber as it is the largest.
The pump feeds an inline UV and heater and back to the tank.
A powerhead is in the chamber and feeds a Purigen reactor that simply dumps back into the pump chamber.

Pretty simple to do, bought a used 29 gallon at the LFS store for $10(he likes me and gives me deals! :->)
Glass I had cut at the local hardware store. I think it was $8 including the cutting. I had to cut one piece myself, no biggy.
Poret is not cheap but it should last a long time.
Scrubbies were $1 for two.

Water is gin clear, very easy to clean media and sump itself. I fully clean all the chambers and media about once a month.

I hope the pictures and explanation shows how it works. If not ask questions. fI'll gladly answer them.

jer858
12-16-2016, 04:42 PM
That reactor is beautiful!!! Is that hanging on the back of your sump or is there a hole drilled for it?

rickztahone
12-16-2016, 11:46 PM
That reactor is beautiful!!! Is that hanging on the back of your sump or is there a hole drilled for it?

That's a TLF 150. you can pick this up used in any reefer forum for $20-$25 with pump