PDA

View Full Version : looking for some advice on how to set up a quaritine tank

matt2426
12-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Hello I'm looking for some tips on how to keep a quaritine tank ready for new arrives and what not. I'm just getting back into the hobby and I never use to use a quaritine tank when I keep fish before but this time around I want to do it right. so I guess my question is how do you keep your filter and tank parameters ready for fish when nothing is living inside the tank do I need to add certain chemicals or something so the tank is always cycled I'm kind of confused on how this works any info or tips would be much appreciated thanks for your time

Willie
12-15-2016, 09:08 PM
I use a 10 gal tank with a heater and a sponge filter. I put the same sponge filter in another tank and change filters when I use the quarantine tank. You'll want to have a large heater than can bring the tank temperature up to 93F to treat disease.

Willie

matt2426
12-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Ok thanks for the response is there any other ways to do it because I really don't want to put a sponge filter in my show tank makes it look less attractive I'm planning on getting 3 or 4 aqua clear 110s for my 125 gallon so can I just take one of those aqua 110s off my 125 and put it on the qt tank when needed or will taking one of the 110s away from the main tank mess my show tank levels up

LizStreithorst
12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
I have a 30 gallon that I put on my kitchen counter. The counter is not made to be a fish stand, but so far so good. I use totally separate WC equipment so that if the new fish have an illness I won't pass it to the fish in the fish room with hoses or pumps. I use sponges too. I don't know much about Aqua Clear's. I know that you can QT 4 huge adult Discus in a 30 with a never used sponge by doing flopping on the bottom WCs until the bacteria becomes established in the filter with the fish never showing a bit of stress.

matt2426
12-15-2016, 10:41 PM
what do you mean by flopping on the bottom wcs sorry took some time off from this hobby trying to get refreshed

LizStreithorst
12-15-2016, 10:51 PM
responded to your PM.

Belkar
12-16-2016, 05:27 AM
Flopping on bottom is a very hands on way of saying 100% wc I guess :P. I think the best advice here is to have seperate equipment for qt tank. And always service the qt tank last. So you do not transfer water from qt tank to your main tank on your hands/arms.