PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Above Ground Pool Owners

Clawhammer
12-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Does a pump like this make a lot of noise? I am thinking about experimenting with it on my discus tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Master-Ground-Filter-System/dp/B007B2SY8A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1482419532&sr=8-13&keywords=sand+above+ground+pool+filter

brady
12-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Unless your tank is the size of a pool, noise is the least of your worry's.
I'd say keeping your fish in a perpetual hurricane will be your problem.
That pump produces 1200 gph.
How big is your tank?
Jay

Clawhammer
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Unless your tank is the size of a pool, noise is the least of your worry's.
I'd say keeping your fish in a perpetual hurricane will be your problem.
That pump produces 1200 gph.
How big is your tank?
Jay

I have a 120. The FX6 pump is rated at 925 gph. I was thinking a spray bar good easily mitigate the current.

Hart24601
12-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I run a 1000gph powerhead in my 120 and 180 plus the returns of 600 and 900 gph in each tank respectively for a total of 1600 and 1900 gph. There are 0 issues with the discus and really in the 180 I would even add another 1000gph powerhead on the other side. I have the returns at the surface and the powerheads along the back walls and there is very little current in the middle and edges of the tanks.

I am curious about why you want to run one of those though? It's a lot of power consumption for a filter. Are you dissatisfied with your current ones? I don't see it really adding anything that other filters don't offer that draw less power and are easier to clean. These are designed for mechanical filtration (I know they provide bio too, but you really shouldn't need that) but unless you backflush it that material is still in the system when it comes to fish tanks. Seems like there are easier filtration methods until you get a monster tank (1000g plus) where it starts to make more sense.

pitdogg2
12-22-2016, 02:05 PM
I had 1000GPH turn over in my 75....one magnum350 one XP3 300 gph and a korilla at 825 gph. bare bottom fish loved it. they played in the current.

I'm not going to recommend that filter they are noisy I could hear my neighbors from 3 doors down in the summer 24/7 I'm not saying it is the same filter but you get what I'm trying to say

Clawhammer
12-22-2016, 05:56 PM
I run a 1000gph powerhead in my 120 and 180 plus the returns of 600 and 900 gph in each tank respectively for a total of 1600 and 1900 gph. There are 0 issues with the discus and really in the 180 I would even add another 1000gph powerhead on the other side. I have the returns at the surface and the powerheads along the back walls and there is very little current in the middle and edges of the tanks.

I am curious about why you want to run one of those though? It's a lot of power consumption for a filter. Are you dissatisfied with your current ones? I don't see it really adding anything that other filters don't offer that draw less power and are easier to clean. These are designed for mechanical filtration (I know they provide bio too, but you really shouldn't need that) but unless you backflush it that material is still in the system when it comes to fish tanks. Seems like there are easier filtration methods until you get a monster tank (1000g plus) where it starts to make more sense.

I am just curious as it is a lot of filtering power for a low cost. I once read an article that fluidized sand bed filters were the most effective biofiltration out there. I also think that many commercial aquariums use this type of filtration.

Clawhammer
12-22-2016, 05:57 PM
I had 1000GPH turn over in my 75....one magnum350 one XP3 300 gph and a korilla at 825 gph. bare bottom fish loved it. they played in the current.

I'm not going to recommend that filter they are noisy I could hear my neighbors from 3 doors down in the summer 24/7 I'm not saying it is the same filter but you get what I'm trying to say

Thanks for the feedback about the sound. Not worth testing if it is going to be too loud.

Hart24601
12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
I am just curious as it is a lot of filtering power for a low cost. I once read an article that fluidized sand bed filters were the most effective biofiltration out there. I also think that many commercial aquariums use this type of filtration.

You're right very large aquariums use them but also have them set up to back flush easily and they are used on those huge systems mostly because mechanical filtration like socks or floss doesn't scale up to that size. Fluidized sand is a different thing from these. That's where sand is kept suspended by water for surface area. Here sand is not fluidized at all and is used as mechanical filter where FBs are not and most need prefilters!

pitdogg2
12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
this is not fluidized it is a compact or compressed sand filter I would think