PDA

View Full Version : figures

Neptune
12-22-2016, 05:01 PM
I had an open tank since I started with discus in July. Put a top on 3/4 of it last week to help retain heat and keep condensation on the windows down.

Yep you guessed it, came home this afternoon to a fish on the floor! Goner!
Sure makes it easy to measure them though! 3.5 inches snout to base of caudal fin.

Phillydubs
12-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Damn... That is a bummer... So you had no lids for a while and zero issues and now this? May I ask why not cover the tank entirely...

I can't imagine not having a top... As nice as some open top tanks look, I would never want to come home to what you did!

Neptune
12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
yep no lid, no problem!

I have the front 1/4 of the tank open because of the way my light sits on the rim and an auto feeder clamped to the rim. May have to rethink this!

magplate
12-22-2016, 06:18 PM
I left a glass top open to feed my fish, went upstairs for a sandwich, and while I was eating it the cat came up the stairs with a 4 1/2" fish in his mouth. He survived but now I know to keep the lids closed.

Clawhammer
12-22-2016, 06:45 PM
I left a glass top open to feed my fish, went upstairs for a sandwich, and while I was eating it the cat came up the stairs with a 4 1/2" fish in his mouth. He survived but now I know to keep the lids closed.

Wait, it survived? That fish is a hero and your cat is a.... wimp :)

RogueDiscus
12-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Wait, it survived? That fish is a hero and your cat is a.... wimp :)

Well, you know the cat wanted to play with it for a while!

rickztahone
12-23-2016, 07:48 PM
This sucks OP. I had no lids on my tank for a while. The day I was leaving to Vegas for 3 days, I happen to hear a flop and my daughter yelled out, "there's a discus on the floor!". I scooped it up and put it in the tank. Went to Home Depot and got egg crate and haven't had issues since, lol.

Had I left for the long weekend I would have probably come back to a few carpet surfers.

Jack L
12-23-2016, 08:03 PM
i keep lid on all tanks. fish jump.
in one i left the 1" plastic piece off the the back of the canopy and came home to a dehydrated fish

Neptune
12-23-2016, 10:09 PM
egg crate...why didn't I think of that!

BJK
12-23-2016, 11:52 PM
You could do a mesh netting on the back? I'm guessing the auto feeder could feed through the mesh?? I got a ton of it on bulk reef supply when I built mesh tops for my reef tank.

PAR23
12-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Discus do jump. I remember few years back when a member had a fish jump from one tank to another. Lucky the other tank was there or else he would have came home to a freeze dried discus.

Akili
12-24-2016, 09:54 AM
egg crate...why didn't I think of that!You not be able to retain heat and keep condensation down with an egg crate.