PDA

View Full Version : How long should I seed my new tank with old filter?

BmoreBraap
12-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, I made a tank switch over 2 weeks ago from a 40g to a 125. I needed to do the move pretty quick because I had a serious bullying problem in my smaller tank with too few discus, so I switched them to my 125 and added a few more. At the same time I swapped over my HOB filter from my 40g to seed and have been running it since. Also running the new Fx6 in the 125. How long should I keep the old HOB filter on? All my levels have been great from the start, extremely low ammonia if any, no Nitrites and low Nitrates. Do a 30-40% WC daily.
Would I be safe to take the HOB filter off now and get it onto my QT tank? Was thinking about when I do the swap I could take my purigen bag out of the HOB and just throw that into my canister to help continue seeding?
Also was going to add another filter, maybe a ac 110, a sponge filter or a simple surface skimmer to help clean the tank. Any suggestions on an additional filter if needed is appreciated, thanks.

Phillydubs
12-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Which HOB do you have on there now?

I would move some media if not all over, if you have an AC now and add a 110 then add that media right to the 110 or take some into the Fx6. If you keep up with your water changes now and maybe even bump them if you can to say like 70 daily once you pull it off you should have zero issues. I don't see you having any issues now but I'd still move media anyways and start fresh with new media for your QT tank

BmoreBraap
12-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Which HOB do you have on there now?

I would move some media if not all over, if you have an AC now and add a 110 then add that media right to the 110 or take some into the Fx6. If you keep up with your water changes now and maybe even bump them if you can to say like 70 daily once you pull it off you should have zero issues. I don't see you having any issues now but I'd still move media anyways and start fresh with new media for your QT tank

That was exactly the plan, get the purigen media into my canister, put a new filter & media into my Aqueon whisper 30 HOB and transfer it to my QT tank with fresh media filter but still has the BB. I do not have my secondary filter yet, was trying to get some suggestions first. I honestly would prefer to get away from the HOB filters due to the noise which is why I was considering a sponge filter or even just a surface skimmer. Its a display tank so the sponge filter isnt the most attractive option, then the HOB is somewhat noisy. Id bite the bullet if one is that much more beneficial to the tank though and my Fx6 is not enough...

Phillydubs
12-27-2016, 02:22 PM
I mean with proper water changes your FX6 should be enough no?

You could always do a sponge and stash it or hide it behind some rock or wood. I always tucked mine in a corner and tried to put something in front of it...

Now with a sump I don't have these worries.

My AC HOB were never that noisy but to each their own... Again, water changes are key, the rest is just moving water and keeping the bb alive...

I was once told that although there is no such thing as over filtration, most often, with proper maintenance and one good filter, the excess filters really serve no purpose.

BmoreBraap
12-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the help Phil, exactly the response I was looking for. You are right, the fx6 should be plenty with a canister gph rate of almost 600 and an output rate of 925gph. I guess the moto around here is too much filtration cant hurt anything, but on the flip side its not necessary with proper maintenance. Think I'll swamp my BB media from my HOB into my canister, get the HOB onto my QT and just monitor my water levels daily for the next cple weeks to make sure all is well. Thanks again

Fish Tank Travis
12-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Just a quick comment on the noise, I don't know of any HOB filters that are louder than the air pump needed to run a sponge filter.

I think the quietest filter option would probably have to be another canister. If you decide you want to add another filter for the extra filtration, check out the SunSun canisters. I have one on my 29 and it has been running for about six months and is completely silent. It holds a lot of media as well, and has a built in UV sterilizer.

BmoreBraap
12-29-2016, 01:07 AM
Just a quick comment on the noise, I don't know of any HOB filters that are louder than the air pump needed to run a sponge filter.

I think the quietest filter option would probably have to be another canister. If you decide you want to add another filter for the extra filtration, check out the SunSun canisters. I have one on my 29 and it has been running for about six months and is completely silent. It holds a lot of media as well, and has a built in UV sterilizer.

I have an air pump/stone set & HOB filter on the same tank and my HOB is easily 5x louder. I can barley hear my canister and air pump....

Fish Tank Travis
12-29-2016, 09:10 AM
What kind of HOB is it? I can't imagine this normal.

I have two Aqueon Quiet Flow 20's on my son's ten gallon tank, a SunSun 303B canister on my 29 that sits right next to it and you can't even begin to hear any of those filters over the air pump that provides air to both tanks.

BmoreBraap
12-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Lol that's funny because this HOB is actually an Aqueon quiet flow 30. Even when it was on my 36g properly mounted(it's not properly mounted on my 125 and sits up a few inches more than it should making it extra loud) it was loud enough to hear in my bedroom with TV on and it was in my office across the hall.
Honestly I find the water fall sound very peaceful but my wife can't take it haha

Fish Tank Travis
12-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Is it the waterfall noise that's so loud or is it the pump noise?

I find mine to have very quiet pumps and I have the water level up high enough that it sits about a half inch above the water return.

Phillydubs
12-30-2016, 01:00 AM
Is it the waterfall noise that's so loud or is it the pump noise?

I find mine to have very quiet pumps and I have the water level up high enough that it sits about a half inch above the water return.

I've had a few that would or could get loud but they just weren't level and needed fixing. But they shoukd not be that loud. I used to run aquaclears for years and never had many noise issues unless a motor or propeller went bad. Which was also rare. If it's the water sound that bothers you or the wife then fill the tank higher. I used to brim my tanks with hobs. So the water flowed right tknthe tank no splish splash

BmoreBraap
12-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Yea it was definitely the improper mounting on my 125 making it so much worse. Back on my 36g topped off its not nearly as bad but not as quiet as my canister for sure.