PDA

View Full Version : metronidazole poisoning? detoxing?

Marsh
12-28-2016, 10:14 AM
A couple of weeks ago I purchased several discus and shortly afterwards they and an angel showed clear signs of hole in head disease. I purchased some metronidazole and treat the fish in the tank the discus were in and a bare bottom tank I moved the discus to. In the tank I moved the discus to I also raised the water temp to 90 degrees and did daily water changes. After a week the discus started to eat and now look healthy with the exception of one. In the tank the discus were moved from, 110 gallon, there is now no signs of the disease either.

A couple of days later I noticed what could be the disease starting in a 125g overstocked with african cichlids so I started treatment on that tank. yesterday morning I notice all the fish hanging at the top of the aquarium, water temp was 75 degrees. I have a large sump with bio balls and a spray bar from an FX6 so there should be plenty of oxygen in the tank. The fish look lethargic, some were flashing and a bleekerii is sitting on the bottom near death, several others look in very poor health. Since I have recently, 8 days ago, transferred several fish from the 125 to the 110 and the ones in the 110 look fine, all I can come up with is toxicity from the medication. I have done 3- 50 percent water changes in the last 24 hours and added a carbon pad and a little salt. I have read that to much metro can lead to kidney or liver issues in fish, Any other ideas on what to do? How to detoxify the tank? more salt, epson salts? Should I hold off on feeding?