PDA

View Full Version : Beef Mix Binder?

CammieTime
12-28-2016, 04:56 PM
What do you use to bind your beef mix that you feed your discus? This binder is to keep the beef from disintegrating into a thousand little pieces and go all over your tank. Ground beef disintegrates in the water and creates a huge mess. I've heard some people use egg? Does pureeing ground beef/beef heart help keep the meat together in the tank? is there some kind of magic vegetable binder people use?

two utes
12-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Very ripe banana or shrimp are two good ingredients you can add when making your beef heart mix to help bind it together. I also add Gelatine powder which l feel does the best job

Jenene
12-28-2016, 05:28 PM
I used gelatin and it works great although the 82 degrees is pretty quick at melting it. They do a good job devouring it though before it scatters too much. There is a natural sea weed product called Agar Agar that I am going to try next time. It supposedly has a higher melting point and the fish are said to like the taste better- although mine seem to love my mix as it is. I did not feel like tracking it down the day I made my mix but I believe you would find it at a large Natural Food store or Amazon- as always, has everything. https://www.amazon.com/Agar-Powder-2oz-Excellent-Strength/dp/B008SV6OLM/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482960418&sr=8-2&keywords=agar+agar+powder