PDA

View Full Version : A NEW YEARS WISH from me and SimplyDiscus....

brewmaster15
12-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi all,
SimplyDiscus has been here quite a while now. Its helped alot of people get started and get sorted out when they took a few wrong turns in the hobby. I like to think its played a very strong force in the Hobby. Maybe I'm biased as its owner but its what I think. I Know alot of people call the forum home and are regulars here as posters or readers. I know some have moved on to other hobbies or they just dont spend time on forums like they used to.I can't imagine how many people the forum has actually touched in some way...but Im sure its alot!

What I would really like to see is a thread just crammed full of SimplyDiscus members.... this thread. Stop by , say Hi. Post a pic if you want, share a memory.What ever you want. If you are on facebook and can post this to your groups without it being an issue, please share it there as well and link back to this thread so we can reach as many as possible. We travel in tight circles in this hobby...odds we are all still connected in some way. It would be awesome if we could get as many of the SimplyDiscus family to this thread.

Obviously its alot to ask....but Im sure even if it falls way short. It would be a great thread and would be great to hear from all our old friends where ever they are.

SO,Heres my official invite to everyone past and present on SimplyDiscus, Stop by,say Hello, and Happy New Year!

Al
OWNER,SimplyDiscus

Filip
12-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Mery Christmas and happy new year to you too Al , and to all past , present and future members of Simply discus and fellow discus keepers around the globe .

I just can't imagine the number of members , guests and visitors throughout this 16 years of exsistance of this forum . I'm sure that number is huge given the long history of the forum .

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2016, 09:32 AM
A very Happy New Year to all simply members new and old. I know this forum has had a huge impact on me personally and for me this place is a community, not just a fish forum. :D I have learned a lot, made many friends and hope to make many more. :D:D
Pat

Disgirl
12-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Happy New Year Simply Discus people! Hope 2017 is going to be a wonderful year for us all. I have made so many good friends in the 8 years I have been here. SD is an important part of my life!
Barb

Jenene
12-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Happy New Year to you as well Al and all of your wonderful moderators!

Even though I just started in this hobby I do realize how valuable (and fun) this forum can be. From one of my very first posts asking what return pump would work in my sump, I knew that I found a place where people were as obsessed as I was. I could never have set up that aquarium so specific for Discus without the wisdom and advice of so many knowledgeable people. I have made some friends here, mostly people who have started about the same time as I did, who offer support and understand the frustration of wanting to do what is best for our Discus- that mistakes do happen and realize we are all still learning. That is what is so great about this forum as long as you are breathing, there is always more to learn.

The photos, tank journals and banter (friendly and sometimes not) makes this kind of a big, crazy family that spans the entire world. There is great joy, deep sadness, anticipation, sharing, technology, science, humor, sickness and the reward of vibrant beautiful health and sometimes the golden prize of fry! The sponsor section is also very valuable resource. I was able to find gorgeous, healthy stock that we all know are the key to success and the best nutritious foods to keep them that way that are just not available in Upstate NY- ever.
My Discus are the heartbeat of my home and have enriched us by adding color and life to a space that was once cold and dark.

This breed of fish are like the center of a wildly spinning vortex that draws us all in- some members glow brightly in the center while others choose to spin off and away as time goes on, maybe bouncing back in from time to time to recharge. The great thing is Simply Discus is always here if we need help or just want to share and find people who don't glaze over at the very mention of Discus.

So a huge thank you to Al and all who help keep Simply going. This hobby would be nearly impossible without the support and resources that are found here. It has helped countless people (and fish) around the world.

So again, wishing a happy healthy New Year to everyone who keeps this forum spinning brightly for all to enjoy!

nc0gnet0
12-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Happy new year to Everyone!

-Rick

Neptune
12-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Happy New Year and may you need to buy more grow out tanks on a regular basis!

I know my discus are very happy that I'm a member here!

Cheers!:fish::guitarist::heart1:

John_Nicholson
12-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Morning everyone and welcome to the worse time of year.....Deer season ends Sunday here in Texas......

-john

rickztahone
12-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Happy New Year to all! May the new year take you to new places :)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8623/28308061705_447462f306_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/K8udvp)DSC09594 (https://flic.kr/p/K8udvp) by Ricardo Vasquez (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rickztahone/), on Flickr

Hart24601
12-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Happy new years everyone. Be safe and have fun.

April
12-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Well here I am! Sorry I don't come more often.. been here since the beginning !
Discus will
Always be
My first
Love.
I drool over pics on fb and always tempted but no space . I get basic fish farm
Discus for resale at times

Just don't compare .
all I can say is discus in north amaerica have
Come a long ways since I started! So many great resellers with great customer service .
I send customers here to
Do their research before buying . Best
Forum on the net!

DISCUS STU
12-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Happy New Year to One & All Fellow Discus Enthusiasts Worldwide!

All the Best for a Great, Glorious, & Prosperous 2017!

Poppa Ryno
12-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Morning everyone and welcome to the worse time of year.....Deer season ends Sunday here in Texas......

-john

Sadness... How was the season in Texas?

Poppa Ryno
12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Happy new year everyone. Thanks for all the info and teachings you've shared with me over the last year. Al.... You sir are "The Man".

discuspaul
12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Here's wishing all of you Simply members a very healthy, happy, and prosperous 2017 !!
Been hanging around this forum for years and love the wonderful camaraderie of all you good folks.

farebox
12-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Happy New Year's to all, love this forum for all the vital information gained over the years from all you guys at SD. Thanks a million, love and peace out my friends.

PAR23
12-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Happy New Year to all.......May the new year bring joy and peace to all.

DiscusRob
12-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Happy New Year to everyone here, our families, and friends. God bless us all as we go forward.

modealings
12-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Happy New Year all - and thanks for an awesome site!

gills
12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Happy new year everyone. Be safe.

Phillydubs
12-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Happy and Healthy 2016 to all the discus nuts here and worldwide!

I have waxed poetic about simply and my feelings on it in the past... Literally a few hrs before this post, I was thinking, man, what the heck would I do or be doing if it wasn't for simply and discus. I am allllways poking on here, checking on my phone... It is like a living newspaper, always updating with news, pictures, info... It is a hobby, a family, and fun!

Lets make 2017 even better! Happy and Healthy all!!!

Debow
12-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Happy New Year from the Cropley's!

Belkar
12-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the good information and help here. Happy new years!

LizStreithorst
12-30-2016, 10:53 PM
I learned everything I know either here or through friendships here. Tomorrow I will think fondly of folks like April and several other old timers who no longer post. I'll me thinking of Mat. I thought for sure I'd see him at NADA...

Neptune
12-30-2016, 11:07 PM

-john

Same here...but bring on the ice fishing!

Altum Nut
12-31-2016, 12:26 AM
Simply Discus has been my second home for some years now and when not at home on the forum I wear it with pride here with my daughters :thumbsup: http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
For those who met me over the summer, you will notice my coffee (dark roast) is another love of mine.
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year 2017

...Ralph

Krissy
12-31-2016, 05:16 AM
Happy New Year from Down Under and thank you Simply Discus as a new discus keeper this site and its folk has given me hours of enjoyment and education in reading the forums; having only recently started posting I am amazed how there is always someone willing to respond and provide advice and in a timely manner. Hope you all have a wonderful new year!

two utes
12-31-2016, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the invite Al. Like many others on here SD has helped me learn lots about keeping discus not to mention all the other intersting things that come along. It was great taking part in the first discus challenge, and have made some friends along the way
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. Stay safe in 2017 and continue enjoying one of the best hobbies ever105444

Pices
01-01-2017, 12:09 AM
105449[ATTACH]105450
Happy New Year to all of you and also my heartfelt thanks for teaching me how to take care of these beautiful mesmerizing fish!

Akili
01-01-2017, 10:18 AM
A big "Thank You" to each and every one, Staff and Simply Discus members without whom I'm sure that it would have been extremely boring year.
From my side, I wish you all a Very Happy New Year filled with Loving Wishes and Beautiful Thoughts.
May the Blessings of the good lord mark 2017 with the Tidal Wave of Love, Peace, Prosperity, Health, Happiness, Laughter, Family togetherness, Unity and Bright Futures.
And to those who need someone special, may you find that true love.
To those who need money, may your finances overflow
To those who need caring, may you find a good heart
To those who need friends, I will be still here for you................ameen.
And lastly to Al Sabetta Thanks for being my friend !!!..........:)
"Happy New Year"

Rapture
01-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Hi! I joined on 1/11 this year, which is a special date for me (I have a thing for 1's). It wasn't planned that way, but it makes it extra special that my discus journey started on that date, and also on the best discus website! I love how SD is still a strong, active forum as opposed to migrating to Facebook groups. I used to be really heavy into breeding reptiles an loved being a part of those forums as well, so I am just really fond of the forum format and community it creates, as well as being a timeless archive of information. FB groups just aren't the same.

Thanks so much to everyone that has contributed to the content and community here. I joined prior to getting any discus, and I didn't have a ton of experience with other fish, either. My years-long fantasy of having discus some day was very far fetched according to the old information I had about them. Then one day, I ended up with a 75 gallon tank instead of a 40 like I planned. I had no idea what to do with it - I brainstormed many very different possibilities... a community tank, Oscars, Lionfish, etc etc... and then, a tiny shimmer of hope. Could I keep discus in a 75? My curiosity led me here and to my surprise, I learned that it was very do-able, despite the "old" info I had floating around in my head from years ago.

Without this forum, I likely wouldn't have gotten discus at all, and I also wouldn't have learned so much about water quality and changing water! I also have 9 tanks now and even learned to build things myself. Most of my other tanks were supposed to be for discus as well, but I ended up joining my local aquarium club, which has meetings at sponsor stores, so I inevitably purchased some other species. I feel like what I've learned here about keeping discus translates to probably any other species, and credit that knowledge to being able to keep all kinds of other fishes without much issue. I still had a rough start with my discus even with all the research I did, but without this site my discus experience would have been much worse, or not have happened at all.

I look forward to staying active on this forum and maybe even meeting some members in the future. :)

Jack L
01-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Happy 2017

This forum a great resource. Mods keep the trollers at bay. Good information and great folks on this board.

Glad i found it when i got back into hobby.

gordo33
01-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Al ,moderators and all simply discus members
Hope your 2017 is a great one.
Special thanks to everyone for your replies to my questions
In 2016 I expanded not only my knowledge from reading others posts but added a 125 gal bb with a sump. That led to plumbing a line to drain for WC to 2 55 gal drums outside my house. The grass flowers and shrubs are loving the discus water. Ordered fish online for the time from Chicago Discus. Looking forward to adding some more in 2017 to get my total to 13 discus.

Kyla
01-07-2017, 12:38 AM
i remember reading simply posts when googling fish keeping questions years and years ago. here's to another year of helping not only discus keepers, but also aquarists in general!

Cosmo
01-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Hi all, hoping you all have a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah, and, a Happy New Year's Eve. May 2017 bring you many more Discus that will live long, happy & Healthy lives :D When I first joined Simply, I was a young man :guitarist:, now, not so much :crazy: There have been times when I virutally lived on the forum (especially the years I was a Moderator) and then there's been times when I only touch base now and then ... BUT.. SimplyDiscus has always felt like home no matter the number of times I stop by in any given period. I've been a little quiet as of late despite the fact that I've been busier than (you know what) taking care of my babies .. all of whom have grown to huge proportions :bounce: I started raising Discus several decades ago, long before anyone in their wildest dreams imagined an internet where you could dial in and get whatever answer you needed, so raising Discus was quite a challenge with a lot of hit or miss desicions, and I clearly remember the day I discovered Simply and was in wonder of all the information that was so readibly available, and all the wonderful people who shared my love of Discus and were always ready and happy to help out with any given problem. Al, you have every right to be proud of Simply, and the rest of us have the right to be thankful that you put it together in such an amazing way:heart1:
Jim

Lido
01-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Happy New Year.

I would like to thank you and SimplyDicus for being an inspiration and guide in my journey of fish keeping. This site has not only taught me thinks to make me a better discus owner but a better fish keeper as a whole.

Love and peace