PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do UV filters put off alot of heat ?

Candydiscus
12-30-2016, 12:29 AM
I have two UV filters in my 135g, a green killing machine 24 and the smaller 9w (i had a 9w from another tank and i thought what the hell) I have glass tops over my tank that practicly prevent 0 evaportation in the tank except for 6 small openings around the glass tops (i have 4 tops total they are actually whicker table glass tops that are 18x18 so they fit perfectly. Anyway i noticed my aqueon 300w heaters keep heating the water too high.. I set it to 76f and it heats it to 84-86f. i put it on 72f and its at 82f.. The thing isnt that old.. i think the heater is bad.. So i unplugged it along with my 250w on the other side.

Its been 3 days now and my tank is at 80f which is exactly where i want it. I noticed this before i had my 135g i had my discus in my 92g corner bowfront.. when i got the UV sterilizers the water temps started creeping up and i had to set my heater lower... It seems the UV sterilizers along with my lids are keeping the tank at a sustained perfect temperature and i dont need a heater anymore. My tank is on the 3rd level in my bedroom and so its always warm up here around 74-76f anyway so i dont need to fear about it getting chilly like a basement.. but still.. Has anyone else noticed this using a UV sterilizer ?

Pices
01-01-2017, 12:21 AM
I don't have a sterilizer, but want to install one so I too am looking for responses to your question.

atlantadiscus
01-01-2017, 12:46 AM
If 100% of the wattage used by the UV sterilizer was generating heat {it isn't}, the most a 18 watt uv sterilizer,for example,could heat the water would be like a 18 watt heater.Pretty insignificant on anything other than a nano size tank.

farebox
01-01-2017, 02:10 AM
I have an 40W UV unit on 125G tank that's on 24/7 and notice no temp effect on tank.