PDA

View Full Version : Strange behaviour

Dan99
01-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone I recently got discus for my tank. They are the only fish that ever have been in there and recently I noticed some really strange behaviour in one of the larger ones. Since 2 days ago he had stopped eating and just stares at the filter intake and chases fish away from it all day! Is this behaviour normal?

adrian31@outlook.com
01-01-2017, 11:37 AM
How long have your fish been in the tank, how many fish, and tank size? Are the others eating?

I've had fish do this when first introduced. They weren't being bullied and turns out they were just still adjusting to the new tank, lasted around a few days before they started eating. If your others are eating well then this one will also start eating before too long, if he's not sick. He won't be able to resist when he sees the others eating.

Filip
01-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Dan , it would be better if you can fill up the disease or tank questionnaire from this forum .
How long do you have him ?
How many discus do you have total ?
Did you bought them all together from a same source ?
Any other fish ?
Do others eat ?
Was he eating prior introducing?
Temp. , WC regime , feedings ....etc , etc ?

The more input the more accurate feedback you'll get.

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Is it pecking at the intake tube?
Pat

LizStreithorst
01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Is it pecking at the intake tube?
Pat

She has that focused look to her doesn't she, Pat?

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2017, 03:59 PM
She has that focused look to her doesn't she, Pat?

I think so Liz. :D
Pat

Dan99
01-01-2017, 04:49 PM
How long do you have him ?
About a week
How many discus do you have total ?
Did you bought them all together from a same source ?
Yes
Any other fish ?
No
Do others eat ?
Yes
Was he eating prior introducing?
He ate on the first few days. He just stopped recently
Temp: 84 F
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.4
WC regime: Daily 60% + spot cleaning after feedings
Feedings: 5 times a day, freeze dried blackworms/ bloodworms, frozen bloodworms

It is pecking at the filter intake occasionally.

LizStreithorst
01-01-2017, 05:45 PM
You do not have a sick fish. You have a fish that is ready to breed and is trying to find a mate. This is a good thing! Have you seen any of your other fish show an interest in her or does she run them all off?

Dan99
01-01-2017, 07:19 PM
No idea what the genders are so I'm going to generalize and say it :)
It kind of chases most of the others away. Even though it is the largest discus in the tank (4"), I didn't think it was ready for breeding already??! The other discus are around 3 - 3.5" and the only discus it will let near it is this blue diamond I have that is almost as big! The blue diamond doesn't seem interested at all though. It just sits there sometimes and does its own thing :)