PDA

View Full Version : Pure R/O (No additives)

Willie
01-01-2017, 03:07 PM
I like to focus one thread on the merits of using 100% R/O water without any additives. It's a controversial topic, so I like to hear from those of you with actual experience.

I've keep discus in tap water for most of my hobby period, but there was a time when I had to go to R/O. About 10 years ago, the road in front of my house was torn up for a new water pipe. Once the pipe was connected, I had immediate problems. I meant that my fish would die immediately after a 100% water change. I lost several pairs, a tank full of fry and a bunch of nice angelfish. In those days, I changed 100% of my water once a week.

In desperation, I bought a heavy duty R/O system. Those of you who got the Merlin System from GE know how good it is. In the summer, I could fill a 55-gallon barrel of R/O in about 75 minutes. The R/O to waste ratio was 1:1. This got worse in the winter, but not substantially worse. With every water change, I put in the requisite amount of R/O Right. The fish eventually recovered and started spawning again. Then I got cheap.

R/O Right tells you what ions it contains, but not the proportion. Given the rapidity with which it dissolves, I suspect it was mostly just NaCl. It's expensive and I didn't like the idea of adding ions, spending money to make R/O water, then dumping the whole thing out and starting all over again every week. So I stopped using R/O Right and kept up the water changes. Guess what? There was no change in behavior. I made 100% water changes with R/O weekly, the fish kept spawning, the fry kept growing.

Now, I've been given many reasons why I have to add R/O Right.

1. Fish won't get enough Mg, Ca, etc. Of course, how much do they get via food vs absorption across the gills? My fish get beefheart, which comes from an animal with more than enough Mg, Ca, etc. This animal provides Ca, Mg to your children - no R/O Right added!
2. R/O water has no buffering capacity. True, but it has no pH either. No fish was ever burnt after a water change. I would also add that the Amazon has extremely soft, low pH, water, so that's not a problem.

Four years after the new pipe was installed, I went back to tap water. Now it's 100% water change with conditioned tap everyday.

This industry is filled with marketing hype. Heaters, filters, UV systems "rated" for various tank sizes, bacterial cultures that will cycle your tank, magical elixirs that will imitate black water conditions,...

Bring it on! Willie :eek:

GregCambridge
01-02-2017, 07:10 PM
I've known killifish breeders using pure RO, not heard of discus breeders doing it before. Interesting subject.

Neptune
01-02-2017, 07:30 PM
well, I'm just going to pick one.
I've had very good results with TetraSafe to start a tank.
If the culture is still viable in the bottle it should jump start the nitrification process right?

LizStreithorst
01-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I used pure RO for breeders for years without problems. After they were done with caring for their fry I'd put them in another love nest with pure RO and the kids were raised on aged tap. What I did is not as dramatic as what you did, but I was came to believe that the fish got the majority of their minerals from their food.

One thing that surprised me it that I went away for 3 days. I had parents with a large spawn feeding from their sides when I left. I didn't feed while I was gone but still feared that I would come home to a pH crash and dead fish. When I got back all the fish were just fine but I did a huge WC anyway because I couldn't believe my eyes. Then I fed the poor hungry things. But you went an entire week in straight or without WC and you were feeding the fish and the fish were fine. You did it for a long time so you didn't just get lucky once. That blows me away.

Questioning the established thinking is how we learn new stuff. Science is based on experimentation and observation, after all.

Hart24601
01-02-2017, 11:55 PM
I run RO/DI here in Iowa due to our poor water. I do add some baking soda and or seachem equilibrium from time to time. I have 3 44 gallon tubs plumbed together and have a 120 and 180 on auto water change and then a 40b growout that gets 100% or more changes daily. I vary rarely add the soda or anything to the water at this point. I have an apex on the system and I don't see too much PH variation. I know many stingray breeders that have RO drips that have been breeding the rays for generations (of the rays) without anything added.

pitdogg2
01-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Back in the early 1980's I raised some nice Schmidt focke discus in pure RO. The pure RO kept my pH at 4.5. They did wonderful for many years. Then kids came along and all my RO funds dried up. I also only did water changes once a week and only 50% at most. Once in a while the pH would drop to 3.0. When I stopped the beef heart the pH stayed much more stable.

There is little room for error at this pH. Not something I'd recommend today.

John_Nicholson
01-03-2017, 08:45 AM
I did an experiment where I kept my pairs in pure ro for an extended time. If I remember correctly 13 months. At first I saw no changes at all but as time went on my spawns got smaller and my rate of defects went up. I went back to a ro mix and they quickly recovered. The pairs looked fine the entire time but the spawns went to crap. This was 100% pure ro for a extended time. I do keep my pairs in 100% ro right now but when they have fry I switch to ro waste or pure tap depending on what else is going on at the time. I have done this for years without any issues.

-john