PDA

View Full Version : New wild discus with white patch on side

evenstarms
01-05-2017, 03:27 PM
I have had five 4-1/2 to 5 inches wild discus for 8 days now. They have done great so far. They are not shy and are always at the front of the tank begging for food. A few days ago I noticed one had a small white patch on its side. I thought it might have scraped itself or maybe a fungus of some sort. They are not flashing or scratching on anything. This morning the area has spread more on its side. It is still eating but is less active than it was. I treated once with Prazipro when I first got them. They are in a 120 gallon tank. I usually do a 30% water change two times a week. Our water source is from a well.

Water Parameters:

Temp: 82
PH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
KH: 50 ppm
GH: 50 ppm

I was thinking about treating with Furan 2 but wanted to see what advice anyone could give me before I do. The Mets I have on hand are Furan 2, Prazipro, Kanaplex and Melanie.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Really do not want to lose any of these guys!! They are beautiful and so curious and friendly.105560

Phillydubs
01-05-2017, 03:33 PM
First step would be to test your water params and try and get those changes higher and more frequent. I always go with heavy water changes before jumping to any thing else...

Good luck, I have my hands full with my wilds, I feel your pain, NO FUN!

jmf3460
01-05-2017, 04:51 PM
from what I can tell, with a sideways not so great picture, this looks fungal, but it looks like something tons of water changes and salt would cure. 30% water change 2x per week is not enough and I think this is the fish' way of telling you that. could you up it to 30% daily for a week and give us some feedback. Perhaps add some salt at one tablespoon per 10gallon with each waterchange and let us know.

evenstarms
01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
I will try changing water daily for a while and add some salt. All I have on hand is Canning/pickling salt.
Will that be good? I will hold off on meds for a while and hopefully this will help. Two of the discus ar ed a big darker than usual but only one has the white on its side. Very hard to get a good pic because at some angles you can't see the white. He seems a bit worse than this morning. He is starting to dart around and shake his body every once in a while.

evenstarms
01-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Here are a few new pics. There are 2 discus now that hiding more than usual. I noticed the second one also has some white spots but am not convinced th a try it is Ich. Let me know what you think. They are all still eating FDBW but the two are worse than yesterday. Did a 40% water change this afternoon and added some salt to the tank.105563105564

Second Hand Pat
01-05-2017, 09:55 PM
It appears to be losing it's slime coat to me. I have successfully used Furan 2 with salt. Dosing is on the packaging and requires large daily water changes. You redose both Furan 2 and salt after every water change.
Pat

evenstarms
01-06-2017, 12:45 AM
Okay, so should I go ahead and treat with Furan 2? Also, the second picture is a different discus. Is that some external parasite on it or what? Could microbubbles be causing some of these problems. I use well water for water changes. I do not age it as the pH stays steady after being aged for 24 hours. The temperatures outside have been extremely cold here this week. When I turned my canister filter back on after a water change today and day before yesterday a bunch of microbubbles came shooting out and were all over the tank.