PDA

View Full Version : New Checkerboard not acclimating to my tank

ny627
01-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Discus keepers, i need your help

purchased a 4 inched asian/german mix (stendker) checkerboard discus. The little guy doesn't seem to be acclimating to my tank. He shows signs of stress (peppering) and refuses to eat. which is all to be expected after the new change.

I had the fish for 4 weeks and STILL displays the same signs (peppering, hunger strike).

When i received the fish, he began to pass white poop, so i treated for worms with metro, (gen. cure)

The fish will only eat freezed dried black worms, refuses pellet & flake. I only feed my tank black-worms 2 or 3 times a week. The fish is stressed and losing weight, stays alone on one side of the tank.

While everyone else is thriving!

I do have some aggression issues going on in the tank but i'm taking measures to reduced it as much as possible.

any recommendations will be appreciated! below are my stats

Thanks in advanced.

49 bow, bare bottom tank
WC- 80% every 4 days
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-20
Temp 85

Tank mates 2 galaxy discus, 5.0inched

Ryan925
01-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Discus keepers, i need your help

purchased a 4 inched asian/german mix (stendker) checkerboard discus. The little guy doesn't seem to be acclimating to my tank. He shows signs of stress (peppering) and refuses to eat. which is all to be expected after the new change.

I had the fish for 4 weeks and STILL displays the same signs (peppering, hunger strike).

When i received the fish, he began to pass white poop, so i treated for worms with metro, (gen. cure)

The fish will only eat freezed dried black worms, refuses pellet & flake. I only feed my tank black-worms 2 or 3 times a week. The fish is stressed and losing weight, stays alone on one side of the tank.

While everyone else is thriving!

I do have some aggression issues going on in the tank but i'm taking measures to reduced it as much as possible.

any recommendations will be appreciated! below are my stats

Thanks in advanced.

49 bow, bare bottom tank
WC- 80% every 4 days
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-20
Temp 85

Tank mates 2 galaxy discus, 5.0inched

First question everyone will ask is did you QT this fish?

Aside from that there are only 3 discus in this tank? Is he being bullied?

If he is eating fdbw why not continue to feed what he eats?

Nitrate 0-20? That's a large range. Are they 0? 5? 10? 20?

ny627
01-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Ryan95,

I did not QT, due to space issues (small Apartment) and roommates. looking for a bigger place because of this issue and better roommates lol

Currently only 3 discus are in the tank, i do plan to get 1-2 more.
he does gets chased around but no physical harm (no ripped Fins ect.) Im having trouble with my Galaxys They fight for a piece of wood and sometimes rip each other fins. but is getting better after i removed the wood.

My nitrates do vary week to week (average around 10) but the max i've seen was 20 on my API test kit. depending how heavy my feeds are.

Ryan and the forum this where i need your help

can i feed only FDBW? I've read a various diet (flake/pellet/FDBW) is the best for them for growth.

I've tried Garlic Guard on pellet and he wont take, i've stopped feeding and he loses weight

What are your thoughts and views

Thanks again

Ryan925
01-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Ryan95,

I did not QT, due to space issues (small Apartment) and roommates. looking for a bigger place because of this issue and better roommates lol

Currently only 3 discus are in the tank, i do plan to get 1-2 more.
he does gets chased around but no physical harm (no ripped Fins ect.) Im having trouble with my Galaxys They fight for a piece of wood and sometimes rip each other fins. but is getting better after i removed the wood.

My nitrates do vary week to week (average around 10) but the max i've seen was 20 on my API test kit. depending how heavy my feeds are.

Ryan and the forum this where i need your help

can i feed only FDBW? I've read a various diet (flake/pellet/FDBW) is the best for them for growth.

I've tried Garlic Guard on pellet and he wont take, i've stopped feeding and he loses weight

What are your thoughts and views

Thanks again

I don't see any issue with feeding strictly fdbw. They are a very nutritious food. Obviously varied diet is best. One thing you will find with discus and food is persistence and patience is key. When I first tried pellets they wouldnt pay any attention to them at all. After a week or two a couple started picking at them a bit. Some time after that they all eventually began to eat them. I didn't really feed anything but beefheart and fdbw for the first several months I had my fish. I recently.have introduced pellets and flakes. I also just received some tetra color bits today that I will be feeding as well as I ran out of pellets

Phillydubs
01-09-2017, 12:21 AM
3 is a bad number for discus. You really need a bigger group. But you have no way to qt which can cause you more harm than good. Do you have a good local fish shop by you. Where in Manhattan are you ?

Given your situation I would suggest starting over. See if someone or a place will take the fish and get a new group 5-6 fish and clean out that whole tank.

Keep up on water changes and keep the nitrates down. Water changes will do this w ease.

Like ryan said w food be persistent. You have to feed that and that only. If they are healthy they will eat

bluelagoon
01-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Given your situation I would suggest starting over. See if someone or a place will take the fish and get a new group 5-6 fish and clean out that whole tank.

I'd just give them clove oil or freeze them and not let someone else have a bad experience with discus.

ny627
01-12-2017, 01:02 AM
Thanks Ryan & Phillydubs
i will be more persistant with the feedings, I'm going to try BH and see what that yields. My current living situation is a little sticky but waiting for a certain roommate to leave so i can get a fish room lol
Im in downtown NYC but i stick with the online stuff, Because my local fish guy doesn't have what I'm looking for (color, shape, big discus)
thanks for the advice guys.

and blue lagoon
no, i WILL NOT cull my fish, i really don't think, my checkerboard has gone to the point of no return for me to cull him.
we're fish keepers and health & growth is what we should strive for.
ill get rid of the roommates before the fish lol
thanks anyways dude

ny627
01-12-2017, 01:04 AM
hey whats your Recipe for BH mix?

rickmiles
01-13-2017, 02:37 AM
Just make sure you do your water changes every day at least 50% or more.

If they eat freeze dried black worms, are you using the cube that stick on the glass? if so, try buying the loose kind or grind them up.

Sprinkle on top of the water and after they get used to eating them that way, after awhile add some crushed flake food to the fdbw, after they accidentally get the flake in there mouths they will eventually eat it then you can try and use Hikari Discus gold pellets, you can grind it or crush it in your fingers very easily and they should eat it.

Rick Mileski Sr

ny627
01-13-2017, 02:42 PM
@rickmiles
thats smart, Will defintaly try that
thanks man