PDA

View Full Version : Stocking planted 75 gallon

Hbshark
01-10-2017, 01:51 AM
I'm starting up a 75 gallon low tech and want some feed back on my stocking list

5 adult discus
20 rummynose tetras
5-10 ottos
Maybe snails or shrimp if they don't get eaten

Is this overstocked or okay? I will have a large peice of driftwood maybe couple medium size rocks and sand substrate

Thanks in advance

Phillydubs
01-10-2017, 02:00 AM
Doesn't sound overstocked to me. How big will the discus be??

Many struggle with the delicate balance of plants and discus as their needs sort of bounce off one another.

Hbshark
01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Yea I've read a lot about that I just want to test it out with good bunch of low light hardy plants maybe run the tank without fish a couple weeks dosing ammonia trying to balance things out, adding the little fish then the big boys at the end

All five will be no less than 6"
I was wanting to throw a sae but they get too big
Maybe a squad of ottos and a Bristol nose pleco will do as far as controlling algea

Phillydubs
01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Sounds good. Good luck. Post some pics and keep us posted.

Leland F.
01-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Put the rummynose and ottos in first to let them get established for a couple months before you add the discus. You could keep the discus in quarantine for the initial 2 months. Rummynose are usually very touchy initially, and can break out in ich or other parasites or infections that would transfer to the discus and cause a potential disaster. Get the filter and smaller fish established first before you add your discus, and don't add anymore fish after that unless you quarantine them for 2 months prior.

-Leland

Hbshark
01-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Well I have the school of rummynose in another tank where I'm growing them out.I had them with my discus to begin with I just decided to separate them and throw all my discus in the 75 gallon now I have moved all the discus in a 65g while I plant and scape the 75 I would just need to quarantine the ottos

Thank y'all for the input!