PDA

View Full Version : SUMP HELP - Sump It Up!!

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Hey All,

A few weeks ago, I was chatted with a few members who were trying to educate me on my new sump and the best possible set-ups for a clean sump and low maintenance.

At the time, I was elated with my new filter sock and thought, wow this seems cool and easy. Well, as others predicted, that fad didn't last very long as it seems to be always dirty and hard to keep clean.

I was hoping those members who chimed in on the other thread (that I can not seem to find) can once again chime in here with some advice and options...

My sump is 3 chambers and a 29 gallon aquarium. The first chamber has the inlet of water, the filter sock and it is packed with bio-balls, the second chamber is my heater, hydro sponge, some ceramic rings and another big sponge from an Aquaclear 110 that I had running, the final chamber is just the return pump.

I was hoping all you sump folk out there can chime in again on what you use instead of a filter sock... If you could provide links of where to buy it all as well I would greatly appreciated!

Pices
01-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks for asking the question Phil because I'm having the same problem with my sump. I'm trying to find lower micron socks, that won't let as much water (and crap) flow through. I'm waiting to hear from my LFS guy. I'll let you know what I find out if you haven't already tried that.

rickztahone
01-16-2017, 02:27 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is this, socks do clog up as you have noticed, but they clog up with gunk that is in your tank. That "gunk", is a given. That is in your tank no matter what. A sock is just a means to show you how much it is actually collecting, not removing.

The removing part is where you come in. Those socks can be very beneficial if you clean them daily or every other day.

You can wash these socks in your regular washing machine with bleach and they will last you a long time.

If you do not run the socks, you need to have something in place that will be just as effective.

In SW setups, you can go without a sock in to the chamber that has your skimmer because the skimmer actually benefits from organic saturated water.

Buy a dozen socks, alternate and wash often and you will be fine, imho of course.

With all that said, I don't run a sock on my setup. Simply swisstropical foam.

Second Hand Pat
01-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Phil, how does the water flow inlet side to outlet side. Does the water flow (inlet side) under the first divider to the second chamber and then over third divider to the pump chamber?
Pat

Debow
01-16-2017, 02:38 PM
I bought 15, 200 micron socks and I change it out every water change until I get 12 or more then throw them in the washer and they come out like new ready for another round. If you have a lot on hand it makes swapping them out a quick task and then just wash the dirty and repete. And I only run a single 4'' sock without issue in my tank. I run dual in my saltwater setup and only replace them once a month or every 2 weeks depending. When I do a sump redo I will add probably 3 socks and some sort of larger mesh prefilter. But the socks are doing the job for you it sounds like I'd just rotate them out more often and keep a bunch on hand. I picked of mine from ebay 10 for $50 made in the use and triple stitched realy good quality.

farebox
01-16-2017, 02:47 PM
I dumped the filter sock thingy awhile back and just use a poret foam (10ppi) from SwissTropicals.com. Went to the dollar store and found a plastic food container, just deep enough to hold the foam pad, drilled 1/4" holes in bottom, and diy way to suspend it above the sump so water can of drip down in the first chamber. Check video: https://youtu.be/4LzULS_JQ5k
I only have to rinse poret once a month, and it last a very long time......

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 04:09 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is this, socks do clog up as you have noticed, but they clog up with gunk that is in your tank. That "gunk", is a given. That is in your tank no matter what. A sock is just a means to show you how much it is actually collecting, not removing.

The removing part is where you come in. Those socks can be very beneficial if you clean them daily or every other day.

You can wash these socks in your regular washing machine with bleach and they will last you a long time.

If you do not run the socks, you need to have something in place that will be just as effective.

In SW setups, you can go without a sock in to the chamber that has your skimmer because the skimmer actually benefits from organic saturated water.

Buy a dozen socks, alternate and wash often and you will be fine, imho of course.

With all that said, I don't run a sock on my setup. Simply swisstropical foam.

Care to show some pics ricardo? Do you buy the foam online?

I totally get and agree with what you are saying. Maybe I just need to get myself more socks... Any other methid to cleaning? My wife may have my head if that goes in the machine...Lately I have just been rinsing them in how water and blasting all the gunk?

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Phil, how does the water flow inlet side to outlet side. Does the water flow (inlet side) under the first divider to the second chamber and then over third divider to the pump chamber?
Pat

Yes pat that is exactly how it flows...

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 04:11 PM
I bought 15, 200 micron socks and I change it out every water change until I get 12 or more then throw them in the washer and they come out like new ready for another round. If you have a lot on hand it makes swapping them out a quick task and then just wash the dirty and repete. And I only run a single 4'' sock without issue in my tank. I run dual in my saltwater setup and only replace them once a month or every 2 weeks depending. When I do a sump redo I will add probably 3 socks and some sort of larger mesh prefilter. But the socks are doing the job for you it sounds like I'd just rotate them out more often and keep a bunch on hand. I picked of mine from ebay 10 for $50 made in the use and triple stitched realy good quality.

Thanks Devon, sounds like what I need to do. Do you wash with bleech as well, if so what is the mixture?

Might you have a link or the name of the seller you purchased from?

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 04:24 PM
I dumped the filter sock thingy awhile back and just use a poret foam (10ppi) from SwissTropicals.com. Went to the dollar store and found a plastic food container, just deep enough to hold the foam pad, drilled 1/4" holes in bottom, and diy way to suspend it above the sump so water can of drip down in the first chamber. Check video: https://youtu.be/4LzULS_JQ5k
I only have to rinse poret once a month, and it last a very long time......

Very cool Roland Thanks!

Debow
01-16-2017, 04:26 PM
I do a heavy wash with a cup of bleach then a extra rins cycle and let air dry for a few days till no odor is present.
Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Filter-Sock-4-x-8-5-200-micron-Polyester-V-High-Quality-Made-in-USA-/322105761297?hash=item4afeffde11:g:8ToAAOxydlFSue3 U

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 04:30 PM
I do a heavy wash with a cup of bleach then a extra rins cycle and let air dry for a few days till no odor is present.

Thanks devon, if you come across the folks you got them from on ebay, please share!

adrian31@outlook.com
01-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Phil,

My sump is 30 gallons, has three compartments like yours, but doesn't have a sock. In my 180gal, the water drains from the tank into the two corner overflows through vents at the top. The two overflows came empty and the water falls right down to the bottom where the bulkheads and pipes underneath are which lead to the first chamber of my sump. I packed my overflows with coarse filter material, and then fine pre-filter material at the top. I just change the fine pre-filter material daily and no solids ever reach my sump. Not sure if your system allows you to do something similar.

This is my first sump and I have no idea how other sump configurations work, but I'm extremely happy with the easy maintenance of the one I have.

Debow
01-16-2017, 04:36 PM
I edited my post take a look.

Hart24601
01-17-2017, 01:00 PM
I run sumps and filter socks on my 180 and 120. I have the drain water go into 2 filter socks instead of one. You can use multiple socks, or larger socks, or higher micron socks.

However as others have said they are doing what they are designed to do, trap detritus. Changing the sock every other day or every 3 days is exporting the detritus and not letting to break down in the system, it's a good thing.

I have a lot of socks and just toss dirty ones into a 5g bucket and when full put in washing machine with bleach and let air dry. Been doing this for years.

You don't have to run socks by any means, I have left them out before, but if you have mechanical filtration like foam you are using that just needs to be cleaned once a month, it means that detritus is sitting in your system that long! IMO it's better to remove it after a couple days in a sock.

For big tanks I would run 2 7" ring socks!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-felt-filter-sock-with-plastic-ring-1-e0f66d3186154abe76960f9e394c4621.html

Jenene
01-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Hey Phil, I posted this yesterday for Patty and noted on there to moderators they may want to move it since it was kind of a segue from my original post. But I just dumped my filter socks and Stephan from Swiss Tropicals figured this out for me. Here is the link- if it doesn't take you right to it just scroll down until you see my sump- Still need to squeeze the sponges but way easier than cleaning sock.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127036-Swimming-with-my-Discus

Phillydubs
01-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Have anymore info or a link to exsctlynwhat you purchased. Sounds like you are all using the Swiss tripicals stuff. Here is another rub. Currently that chamber fills totally with water. The outlet hose to the sump is down about 6" I'd say. So wouldn't them water stay above the foam if I added it ?

I was thinking of doing double duty and using the sock to then pour over the foam. ?

I already ordered the socks that Devon suggested. To me it seems like pulling them and tossing them in a wash machine is the best route.

Jenene
01-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Here are the links Phil-
http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-aqua-media-shop/ (mixed cubes)
http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/ (1.5" 10 ppi and 20 ppi size of sheet depending on your area- need to cut about 1/2" larger to fit tightly.

If you look at my sump my cubes are at the bottom 7" of the sock compartment packed semi loosely- then 2 layers of 1 1/2" foam over that. There is about 3 to 4" above where the water flows in from the intake.

Washing the socks was not a problem. I had enough I would just save up until I had a small load and ran them through with a little plain bleach then an extra rinse. I always soaked them in some Seachem safe to be sure all the bleach was out. My issue was the socks never stayed down and all sorts of debris kept getting into my media.You can see by the pics my media is now clean as a whistle and no more sock washing. I just squeeze out the top 2 sponges and the cubes and the rest of the sump are spotless. It works for my set up. Everyone's are unique. Good luck!