PDA

View Full Version : Input on food and water

Jhoussock
01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
So after a recent change in water my discus have turned evil! I have been using 100% ro water remineralized every 2 to 3 days since September when I got 3 5" discus and a 4". Everything seemed smooth. Until one day I wiped out 12 rummy nose tetras in about thirty seconds. After throwing my discus and corys into a 10 gallon tank with straight tap and prime they were perfectly fine with in a few minutes. I got the bright idea that I would step up my water changes and just use tap water with prime for a bit since it involves such little work. I originally didn't like that my ph is 8 and nitrates are about 20-30 out of tap which was why I did ro. Anyway I change to tap water and after about a week my fish started acting like I'm starving them. I come home and their stress bars are darker then I ever saw them. They go nuts when I come over with food and within ten minutes the bars are gone. After another 20 minutes they are acting like they are starving again and showing bars. Are they just thriving more in this water? Should I be afraid they will take my arm off?( they about hump out of the water when I feed them! I attached a picture of how much I feed them once in the morning and once at dinner time. Using Hans home made discus crack as food and soak it in seachem garlic guard. Hans recommended 86 degrees to keep a high metabolism. Should I drop the temp a bit or Should I just be quiet and be thankful my discus are eating like paranas.

Jhoussock
01-18-2017, 08:32 PM
106017 here is the food amount

Phillydubs
01-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Have you tried or do you have the ability to age your water ??

I don't think they are starving I think they don't like your water. The ph is high but if stable I don't think it's an issue. The nitrates are very high.

What were your params w the ro?

Jhoussock
01-18-2017, 11:13 PM
5.5 ph kh3 gh 3 nitrates come out at zero but go up to 30 by day three. These levels are achieved with buffers and remineralizers. If they dont like the water why are they eating more and appear more active? They seem to school together around the tank more than I've ever seen although in my ro water they were too busy shimmering and spawning/pecking instead of a schooling

Jhoussock
01-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Oh and yes I can age my water with my ro setup container and just fill it with tap. I'm assuming heat and a power head for 24 hours is suffiecent ?

Phillydubs
01-19-2017, 01:53 PM
5.5 ph from the ro? and 8.0 from the tap?

I am confused now, you are doing straight tap and r/o mix or?

makes sense that your levels shoot to 30 after 3 days of dirty water, you should increase your WC for sure if thats the case

Jhoussock
01-19-2017, 02:18 PM
When I did ro I would have a ph of 6 and it would fall to 5.5 in tank....I switched to straight tap and it's 8 for my ph now. My ro was aged my tap water is not

Phillydubs
01-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Did you do a slow aclimation to the new ph or just switch it... To go from a 5.5 -8 is a huge swing and could be your issue on top of the nitrates and not doing big enough water changes...

You are feeding bh and only changing the water every 3 days? Beef heart is super messy and will rot something funky. You should feed bh then do a wc right after, if you got 3 day old BH sitting there that is no beuno my friend