PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use Salmon for Turkey Heart Mixture?

DISCUS STU
01-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey All,

I'll be mixing up a new Turkey Heart (I used to use Beef Heart) mixture and would like to know if Salmon may be too oily to use in the mix? Would also using the skin have any added benefit? I've never used fish before in my mixtures and the last one was good for about 2 years.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I have a fair amount of frozen Salmon in the freezer.

Regards,

Stu

Phillydubs
01-19-2017, 01:31 PM
saltwater salmon?

I seem to hear that feeding fresh water fish to freshwater fish is no good, but salt fish to fresh fish is good...

I can't help you cause I never made my own or did this but I recall hearing that quite often... the oils may make it hard to blend

DISCUS STU
01-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Hey Phil. The blending is done with uncooked shrimp and Knox Gelatin.

smsimcik
01-19-2017, 04:15 PM
I use salmon in my beefheart/seafood mix. Alot of people are mixing salmon in their beefheart these days. It is oily but it doesn't seem to affect the mixture for me in any negative way. The oil has a lot of omega fatty acids and is very healthy. I try to find wild caught (salt water) salmon but I have had to use farm raised salmon occasionally and have had no problems with it so far.
I never tried using the skin. I just assumed the fish wouldn't digest it well but you may want to try it and see how it works.

MendoMan
01-19-2017, 05:32 PM
I've mixed about one third salmon with two thirds beef heart for several years. The type of oil in salmon is good for the fish. As mentioned earlier you don't want to use the skin.