PDA

View Full Version : Another new driftwood...

Jenene
01-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Okay I know...I couldn't resist and the other new piece was crumbling and I don't have a pleco in there to keep up with it. The old piece is going onto my community tank that has a pleco. The old mopani was just rotting- it stank. Not healthy for my fish.

I found this one at an aquarium shop that I did not know existed and it was 10 minutes from my door. A Petschmo employee actually told me about it when I asked about real wood and not the plastic crud they carry. They have been in the area for 20 years. They carry Stendker Discus (would never buy them there though) and anything you could ever need or want. I tried their homemade food and it was a bit messier than mine. Some particles were still stuck to the glass in the pic.

I love that it is heavy, sank right away (I boiled in a canning pot it as well as I could it is huge). I love that it sits up off the floor on three small points so no junk gets caught under it. I love the giant swim through and the fish do too. It cost a small fortune but it will last forever. Hope my java moss does well on it. I left a bit in the sump in case it doesn't I have another shot at it. 106102

scrappinjaime
01-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Love it!

Kyla
01-22-2017, 08:01 PM
absolutely love that piece! its a perfect for for ur tank

Pices
01-22-2017, 08:03 PM
thats the perfect piece of wood for your tank! I really like it and so do your fish me thinks!

pitdogg2
01-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Score!

Jenene
01-22-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys! That is how I felt when I saw it. You just know... Something you just can't do buying online. He had it upright in a smaller high tank but I had him take it out and set it on the floor. Sold! I didn't even care what it cost at that point. I knew I had to have it. The highlight of my weekend. I knew you guys here would get it. My husband walked in after being gone all weekend and didn't even notice it! Thanks for that! :grin:

Phillydubs
01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
That thing is diesel !!

Jenene
01-22-2017, 09:26 PM
That thing is diesel !!

Thanks Phil! Yes, that thing is massive. I had to take the shelf down over the tank to get the thing in. I was afraid I would crack the tank if I slipped up and dropped it even an inch. Have never held onto anything so hard in my life. It had a nice handle on the top though!

Phillydubs
01-22-2017, 09:43 PM
How heavy would you say it is ...?

It really fills your tank so nicely gives it such a new feel and the fish are going to love all the new turf!

Jenene
01-22-2017, 09:49 PM
How heavy would you say it is ...?

It really fills your tank so nicely gives it such a new feel and the fish are going to love all the new turf!

Yikes I don't know how heavy but when I took it to my car I was surprised he didn't offer to help! I think it is just awkward with one end being way heavier than the other.

The discus seem to really like exploring it and swimming over, under and through it. They will appreciate the cleaner water as well. This wood will not be rotting any time soon. Even with my massive water changes the water always smelled weird and the mopani in the state of constant rot fed those detritus worms. I had to boil it every few weeks. No more of that nonsense.

Phillydubs
01-22-2017, 09:59 PM
It sounds like you not only got a gorgeous piece but a savings to your stress level and cleaning routine.

Win win win

Jenene
01-22-2017, 10:04 PM
It sounds like you not only got a gorgeous piece but a savings to your stress level and cleaning routine.

Win win win

...And my upstairs pleco gets some wood food- another win. Just the triangle piece not the rotten mopani.

two utes
01-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Very nice Jenene. I really like how its going to be easy to clean out the tank under it.....it looks like its been made to fit, and l'm sure your discus would be loving it.

Jenene
01-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Very nice Jenene. I really like how its going to be easy to clean out the tank under it.....it looks like its been made to fit, and l'm sure your discus would be loving it.

Yes! Thanks so much. When I saw how it sat on the points that was it-sold! It is really stable as well. The last two pieces I had to prop up or weigh down. They are enjoying it already. They are very curious creatures.