PDA

View Full Version : Starting out soon... hopefully. Need help.

dilldiscus
01-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Hello, I`m 16, I have been doing aquarium stuff since 12 or 13 years old. I have been cared for many fishes from African Cichlid to Livebearers to Dwarf African Frog. I am wanting to take a try at Discus, I have been wanting to since a couple years ago but due to my financial situation as a teen i haven't been able to. But soon i will get a job and will hopefully have the chance soon.
I was thinking about having a pair (around 5 inches) in a 38 gallon bowfront (about 16 wide 30 long 24 tall). Dual marine-land penguin 200bs. Also i plan on doing 20% water changes every other day and have done a lot of research about discus.
If you guys could give me any advice or help that would be amazing.

Akili
01-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus, I suggest to all newcomers and hobbyist to this site to read all the stickies in the beginner's section. A must read in that section is Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus. Also take about an hour of your time and watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8&t=2478s

dilldiscus
01-23-2017, 09:58 PM
I have been here since 2014 just finally able to get discus soon. And wondering if my idea of what i will be getting is good enough or not.

discuspaul
01-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Your idea of getting a mature pair to be housed in a 38 gallon tank by themselves is just fine, except for one important & critical thing:
It can't be just any pair of discus - it must be a MATED pair, otherwise you'll likely be asking for trouble.
Keeping just 2, 3, or 4 discus together is usually a bad idea, due to pecking order issues which will very likely develop (bullying).

Problem is a mated pair costs appreciably more than just 2 random discus, so if your wallet permits this, then go ahead.

Otherwise, it might be best to wait a while until you can afford to set up a minimum 60 to 75 gallon tank, and keep 5 or 6 discus of whatever starting out size - keeping in mind that if they're less than say, 4", they should be started off in a bare-bottom tank.
Hope this helps you to consider what you'd like to do.

dilldiscus
01-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Problem is a mated pair costs appreciably more than just 2 random discus, so if your wallet permits this, then go ahead.

Well... A mated pair seems to cost $300+ so there goes that idea. how about a 55 with 5 3-4 inch discus?

discuspaul
01-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Ok, a 55 gal tank with 5, or even 6, discus would be fine, so long as you're not planning to keep any other tank-mates with them, and be sure to start the tank off completely bare-bottom, assuming the discus you get are less than say, 4" in size.

discuspaul
01-23-2017, 11:46 PM
Oh, & btw, dilldiscus, be sure to get your discus from a well-known reliable source for supplying good quality discus.
Any one of simply's sponsors here - outlined in the "Sponsors" section will be just great.

dilldiscus
01-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Oh, & btw, dilldiscus, be sure to get your discus from a well-known reliable source for supplying good quality discus.
Any one of simply's sponsors here - outlined in the "Sponsors" section will be just great.

I was thinking about buying from a locally owned fish store i understand it won't be as high quality discus but i would be supporting a local business and wouldn't have to deal with shipping.
The supplier for them is Segrest Farms.

LJSmith
01-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I learned the hard way. Don't be me. Spend up for the shipping or find a hobbyist breeder in the area. You would be surprised at how many are out there. The problem I had with my LFS, is that they do not have adults. They carry juveniles and did not provide adequate water changes. This lead to likely stunting and other issues that I am dealing with. In my experience, the suppliers and hobbyist's here are the ticket to success.

LJSmith
01-24-2017, 01:56 PM
My main point is, that even the greatest supplier cannot mitigate the care that the fish receive at the LFS.

dilldiscus
01-24-2017, 03:16 PM
My main point is, that even the greatest supplier cannot mitigate the care that the fish receive at the LFS.

Do you know which supporter has the best deal on discus?
Thanks

Phillydubs
01-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Do you know which supporter has the best deal on discus?
Thanks

I could not agree more with the above comments, spend up and save yourself in the long run.

Take a look at the sponsor section here, it is loaded with offerings and all their lists are pretty current, if you like something and see something you like send an e-mail.

Where are you located?

Also, if you really want a "deal" check the for sale section here, many folks breed their own discus and sell some great stuff at killer prices... they ship too!

Phillydubs
01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Check out a thread such as this and PM mr warblad, he has nice stuff for crazy low prices - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125283-Giant-Flora-4-5-quot-5-quot-Down-sizing-my-breeding-stocks-San-Jose-CA-PU-Only/page2&highlight=warblad

I also think another gentleman, a moderator I believe had packs of fish for sale for super cheap and folks were raving about them, even the owner of the forum Al grabbed a packed and was floored at the "deal" you seek.

dilldiscus
01-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I could not agree more with the above comments, spend up and save yourself in the long run.

Take a look at the sponsor section here, it is loaded with offerings and all their lists are pretty current, if you like something and see something you like send an e-mail.

Where are you located?

Also, if you really want a "deal" check the for sale section here, many folks breed their own discus and sell some great stuff at killer prices... they ship too!

I looks at Hans his seem to be in expensive. Im in Boise Idaho, sadly there arnt any near by sponsors.

Phillydubs
01-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Hans is a great choice too... You really can't go wrong, but I would say buy the biggest fish you can afford and do it right one time...

They will all ship right to your door, send pics and video before hand, you have zero to worry about

discuspaul
01-24-2017, 04:44 PM
I looks at Hans his seem to be in expensive. Im in Boise Idaho, sadly there arnt any near by sponsors.

If you wish to check them out, I believe the nearest high quality discus supplier to you is Chicago Discus - a sponsor here - look them up.
If you contact them, ask for either Miranda or Josie. They are breeders & importers, have a good variety of strains & sizes, and their prices are very reasonable.

Akili
01-24-2017, 05:09 PM
I looks at Hans his seem to be in expensive. Im in Boise Idaho, sadly there arnt any near by sponsors.We do have a few sponsors in California and that would be closer to you.

dilldiscus
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
We do have a few sponsors in California and that would be closer to you.

closest one in cali is a 8hr drive

Akili
01-24-2017, 06:56 PM
closest one in cali is a 8hr driveGet in touch with and find out your options are.

dilldiscus
01-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Get in touch with and find out your options are.

ok, i will when i get that far. Love your signature by the way. Many people these days dont realize that hard work is key to success.