PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreak hotel..

Lido
01-24-2017, 03:25 PM
So I got a text last night from a guy who I met in the aquarium hobby a few years back. He has 12 adult discus, I can tell these fish at one point were beautiful. Full of glory and pride. He asked me to come by last night to "look at some fish he wanted to get rid of."

I showed up and about 8/12 of the fish were suffering from HLLE. The water in his tank was a tinge of brown and off color, poop and left over in the bare bottom tank. It broke my heart.

I tried to negotiate with him to let me take them and put them in a hospital tank. He was just so caught up on money he was blinded by the severity of the situation. I pleaded with him, tried to negotiate terms. Anything from "I'll pay you later when they are healthy to trying to explain how they are all going to die on him.

Sometimes I just wish people would understand some things just aren't about money.

Sorry, thought I would share my bad experience.

Phillydubs
01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks for sharing, sorry you had to deal with that. At least you tried to do the right thing and care for the fish. Maybe he will see no one wants them and let you take them.

Unfortunately, I bet some sapp on CL gets them and has a real hard time... that is the true heartbreak

Lido
01-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Right, probably someone new to discus that is going to drop the better part of $1000 bucks then all of them are going to die, and the hobby takes another false hit that "discus are impossible"

Phillydubs
01-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Nailed it!

pitdogg2
01-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Right, probably someone new to discus that is going to drop the better part of $1000 bucks then all of them are going to die, and the hobby takes another false hit that "discus are impossible"

WRONG if they are as bad as you say and someone pays that kind of coin its on them for not doing their due diligence as to what healthy fish look and act like. BUT TO ME it is the seller who should be fried for charging that kind of money they know darn well are ill and not long for the world.

Neptune
01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Hopefully he is getting out of the hobby for good?

rickztahone
01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
WRONG if they are as bad as you say and someone pays that kind of coin its on them for not doing their due diligence as to what healthy fish look and act like. BUT TO ME it is the seller who should be fried for charging that kind of money they know darn well are ill and not long for the world.

I tend to agree here. I will say OP, I would stay away from any discus that needs this much attention from the get go. Just get quality discus. You can't save every mistreated discus out there.