PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if these are hormone treated discus???

Cookie_discus
01-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Just bought three discus over the week at my lfs for a great deal but i am not sure if they are hormone treated since I am still new to discus and this is the first time to buy Juvenlie fish. They are 3.5" size from head to tail and breed from a local breeder.

Akili
01-26-2017, 11:44 PM
I do not think they are hormone treated if they were from a local breeder at your neighborhood local fish store in Ontario in my opinion.Color fades as the effects of the hormones wear off and colors will be less vibrant over time.

brewmaster15
01-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Hi Jimmy,
Theres really no way to tell by looking at the fish if they have been hormone treated. Best people can do is guess.

My guess here is no. Generally the strains you have would not be subjected to hormones. Additionally if they are bred locally to you in Canada theres even less a chance they are hormone treated.

Hth,
Al

Cookie_discus
01-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Yes they are keeping in the local tap water and even eat flakes food.

Cookie_discus
01-27-2017, 02:34 AM
So how you guys think on the quality? bad and good common are welcome guys lol

Second Hand Pat
01-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi Jimmy, look at the first post in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127475-Stunting-and-Strains-eye-ratio.
Pat

Phillydubs
01-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Hi Jimmy, look at the first post in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127475-Stunting-and-Strains-eye-ratio.
Pat

Pat is trying to be nice...

Unfortunately for you they look rather stunted to me and I do not believe they are hormoned. Why do you feel that way?

The eyes are very large for that size fish...

Cookie_discus
01-31-2017, 01:56 AM
Stunted mean they not going to grow too big?

Ash92
01-31-2017, 06:24 AM
What does hormone mean in this discus world?

DISCUS STU
01-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Hey Jimmy,

I think it's possible and they do look stunted. When I observe hormone treated fish I do see it in these strains and have purchased BD and PB's that have been hormone treated. It's a little difficult for me to tell from these pics. as I normally use coloration to get a an idea of hormone use. Viewing pictures on a monitor makes it a little difficult to get a true sense of the fish's color or the vibrance of their color . It's a very common and disreputable practice and the practitioners of this type of fraud should be subject to legal penalties.

It's normally used to color up juvenile fish for sale, as juveniles usually don't acquire attractive coloration until much later in their development. It's also done, to a lesser extent, to color up less colorful more developed fish.

Having seen and unfortunately purchased hormone treated fish in the past this is what I've observed in some extreme cases.

1) Unnaturally colorful fish as juveniles 1.5"-2" that normally wouldn't be this colorful. It may almost look like a metallic sheen that even full grown Discus rarely achieve, it may also look almost like a flaking around the head area.
2) Cherry red or almost neon red eyes in juveniles.
3) Extreme, unnatural aggression in juvenile fish. This one is more difficult to observe at a lfs, lps, or retailer and normally shows itself when the fish gets home and is acclimated to your tank.

When all of these are taken together, hormoned fish can be identified though it's easier in more extreme cases. Years ago they sold a strain that retailers in the U.S. called "Candy Apple", these were almost always juvenile that were hormone treated.

Ash92
01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Can som1 answer my question please

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Can som1 answer my question please

Please read post #10. Stu did answer your question. :)
Pat

CliffsDiscus
01-31-2017, 12:37 PM
They are fully color because they are stunted adults.

Cliff

rickztahone
01-31-2017, 12:49 PM
They are fully color because they are stunted adults.

Cliff

+1. I know it sounds weird, but when you are looking at small/young discus, you want to see discus that have somewhat muted colors. This is for discus 3" and under. If you see any discus 3-4" and under with full on colors, it may mean that they are stunted adults or hormoned.

Lido
01-31-2017, 01:24 PM
They look a little stunted to me as well. I have a stunted cobalt. She is about 5 inches and is never going to get bigger. Full of personality, but just not a high quality fish. I understand that and am good with it. I got her like that and i didn't know as much as I do now. Here she is.

So what I am saying is don't be upset, just know we have all learned hard lessons.

DISCUS STU
01-31-2017, 03:35 PM
+1. I know it sounds weird, but when you are looking at small/young discus, you want to see discus that have somewhat muted colors. This is for discus 3" and under. If you see any discus 3-4" and under with full on colors, it may mean that they are stunted adults or hormoned.

Looking at these fish more closely I have a feeling that it could be both.

One thing I didn't add in my earlier post is that hormones also affect the overall health of the fish as well as its longevity.

Lido
01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Shall we give the "buy from a sponsor, or reputable source " speech? I wish I could put a stop to LFS selling discus in the less than 4 inch range. They really just are throwing these fish to the wolves.

I have talked ONE of the LFS stores near me into not carrying fish that small and he said he has had a much better customer satisfaction rate. He said "he sells less of them but the people are happier with the quality. They don't complain of the fish croaking right away.

Anyhow Stu, I like your name and have to ask. Is it a reference to the simpsons or just a happy accident.

nc0gnet0
01-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Hi Jimmy,
Theres really no way to tell by looking at the fish if they have been hormone treated. Best people can do is guess.

My guess here is no. Generally the strains you have would not be subjected to hormones. Additionally if they are bred locally to you in Canada theres even less a chance they are hormone treated.

Hth,
Al

Agreed. Additionally, people are too fast with the stunted comments. improper angle on a picture can throw off eye-body ration, and it is only a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

DISCUS STU
02-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Shall we give the "buy from a sponsor, or reputable source " speech? I wish I could put a stop to LFS selling discus in the less than 4 inch range. They really just are throwing these fish to the wolves.

I have talked ONE of the LFS stores near me into not carrying fish that small and he said he has had a much better customer satisfaction rate. He said "he sells less of them but the people are happier with the quality. They don't complain of the fish croaking right away.

Anyhow Stu, I like your name and have to ask. Is it a reference to the simpsons or just a happy accident.

Good info. and yes my SD handle is a Simpsons ref. as my name is really Stu and various Simposons fans friends would also occasionally call me by the namesake. I also like the character.

Cookie_discus
02-06-2017, 09:36 PM
OKOK guys I will keep update with you guys later. Thank you for the advise

rickmiles
02-08-2017, 03:32 AM
nc0gnet0 said

Agreed. Additionally, people are too fast with the stunted comments. improper angle on a picture can throw off eye-body ration, and it is only a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

Well said

Rick Mileski Sr.