PDA

View Full Version : Help needed please.

JadeThorne
01-27-2017, 04:03 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
Problem started about two weeks ago – these aren’t my fish, I’m trying to get help for the room-mate because they’re his fish. I have absolutely no idea what started them.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Turning black, refusing all foods offered, no feces at all that I’ve seen.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
I moved him to QT tank yesterday, treating with MetroPlex and Prazipro both. This is day two of the treatment, and while his color has greatly improved and he’s far more active, he’s still refusing all foods offered.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
He was in a 55g with four other discus, five cardinal tetras, three cherry barbs, and four cory cats. Plus two snails. Now he’s in a ten gallon QT tank alone.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Tank has been running for 2-3 months now. It did have substrate, but we pulled it all out. Now it’s bare bottom. QT tank is completely bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _ 85-86 in main tank, 92 at current in QT (I set the heat for 89, the heater is too big for that tank so I cut it back to 84 and it’s coming down).

- ph _ 7.4 in both tanks

- ammonia reading _0 both tanks

- nitrite reading _0 both tanks
- nitrate reading _10-20 in main tank, 0 in QT

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _ Municipal water, comes from lake.
- RO water __

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
We added the tetras, barbs, and cats on the advice of our LFS to try to get him eating and herding with the others. Roomie did not want to buy any more discus, even though it was advised.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

So, this little guy (blue turquoise, Stendker line, bought from our LFS about a month ago) is refusing food. I haven't seen any feces from him at all. I moved him to QT and started on MetroPlex and PraziPro yesterday, and while his color looks good now and his fins aren't clamped ... he still refuses to eat. I'm not sure what's going on with him. I'll be honest - I don't know a lot about discus. What I know, I've learned here or on FB through those groups. This is my room-mate's fish - I'm just trying to save him. I'm at a loss. I treated one for hexamita before (our first two, one had hex, I pulled and treated for nearly two weeks and he made a great recovery), but ... I'm at a loss on this one. He refuses anything I offer him. I offer throughout the day and then suction the uneaten out in an hour.

Phillydubs
01-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Fish under stress and medications or sick will refuse food. You should just stay on top of water changes and the meds and maybe even not offer food for a few days...

I would do daily 100% water changes on a small tank like that...

What made you decide to use the meds you have?

Akili
01-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Your nitrates levels in your main tank are high, do some large water changes like Phil suggested and aim for nitrates levels of 5 ppm or below.

JadeThorne
01-27-2017, 06:40 PM
THe QT tank's nitrates are 5ppm or less - this API master kit is hard for me to read (I wear glasses) so the main tank he was in is either 10 or 20ppm. And I know that's too high, but it isn't my tank.

I went with these meds because when I had to treat the other one, that is what all the discus breeders recommended in the discus groups on FB.

If I do 100 percent daily, I assume just put him into a cup until I'm done? And I'm going to stop offering food for a few days. He's made it this long, he'll either make it or he won't.

Phillydubs
01-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Just let him dit on the bottom of the tank in a little bit of water and add new water - trying to out it in a cup will stress it more

JadeThorne
01-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Gotcha. Thank you. Will do. Hopefully he makes it. I'm doing my best here.

JadeThorne
01-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, is there any advantage at all for treating for flukes even though he's not displaying any signs? Someone from the UK in Discus Daily on FB suggested this, but since the medication is expensive and has to be shipped from the UK, I want to ask first.

Phillydubs
01-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Do you suspect flukes? Have you seen any signs i.e breathing from one gill, clamped fins, scraping or scratching?

If not, I would wait, or treat for what you are now and wait and see. If you throw a bunch of meds all at once or its a bad mix the fish will not make it very long.

Phillydubs
01-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Also... I know it isn't your fish and all but this fish is really severely misshapen and stunted beyond repair IMO...

Who knows how long it has been sick, what it has or if it will ever recover... and if it does, will prob stay as is... just sayin

Akili
01-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, is there any advantage at all for treating for flukes even though he's not displaying any signs? Someone from the UK in Discus Daily on FB suggested this, but since the medication is expensive and has to be shipped from the UK, I want to ask first.Many people use a "shotgun" treatment to cover all possibilities without realizing that too much medication will damage internal organs of their Discus. Even though it is not your tank I suggest you do large water changes. Lots of clean water daily will help bring the nitrates level down and also help the fish to recover faster while gaining their appetite.One more thing I will advise you is, please follow one school of thought.jumping from one website to another will give conflicting, inconsistent or contradictory methods of treatments

JadeThorne
01-29-2017, 05:20 PM
Hey all.

I'm not going to treat with anything else beyond what we have. I had to make some hard decisions last night. These are not my fish. I didn't purchase them. I didn't pick them out. They're his responsibility, and if he's not going to assume responsibility for treating them/taking care of them, let him learn. I hate it, but ... my health is not the best and I need to take care of me and quit stressing out over his sick fish and his lack of care.

I thank you all for the advice you gave me, but if he refuses to follow it ... let him learn.