PDA

View Full Version : Discus pellets changing discus color

shamik
01-28-2017, 02:28 AM
It's been a little more than a month I been hosting 6 discus fish. My approach is bare bottom tank, change water thrice weekly (80-90%) and feed pellet food 4 times a day. Discus size ranges between 3-4.5 inches. Feel free to suggest changes/improvement.
I've 2 golden checkerboards and they are slowly turning orange -I'm feeding them Tony Tan Grand Champion Discus food ( https://discususa.com/epages/837c2f23-61ea-4645-82f2-3b56290a54a4.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/837c2f23-61ea-4645-82f2-3b56290a54a4/Products/GRAND-CHAMP-200G ). I can't complain as the food already states about the color issue.
Please suggest some pellets , which will keep their color and healthy with minimal mess.
TIA,

Phillydubs
01-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Sounds like you are doing well so far. Any pics?

Welcome by the way!

I have been feeding the discus chow from Al - aquaticsuppliers - the owner of the forum and a sponsor here. My fish have been taking it well along with flakes and I don't believe they will effect color.

A lot of foods contain ingredients that will naturally color enhance, or some are loaded with enhancers for certain types of fish. For some fish and colors such as red, it can really make them explode with color, but for checkers or light or white fish it can really tint them.

Kens has a tropical green granule that I was recomended to use as well. I haven't fed it much but will mix it in at times, need to try to get them on this as well.

shamik
01-29-2017, 04:29 AM
Thanks Phillydubs. Attached is one photo.

Apart from color change issue - one more observation ( not sure if it's expected) , the fishes looses color if they are not feed for 12 hrs. Specially LSK and Blue diamond.106562