PDA

View Full Version : Biotopes anyone? Wild Heckels are the plan

DomiDiscus
01-28-2017, 04:04 PM
106550 Here's what is the begging of my wild Heckel tank. I haven't gotten them in yet but I plan to in the near future. Its a 125 with Manzania wood and river stones and heavily washed play sand. I will be running a Fluval FX6 and 2 300 watt heaters (so one doesn't have to work as hard.) The plan is to get 8 Rio Negro Heckels from John. Anyone know what water parameters are best for those Heckels? Also diets? Thanks guys, gimme your feedback. :)

Also i will be trimming the driftwood so a discus doesn't poke its eyes out.

jmf3460
01-28-2017, 07:05 PM
your wood is nicely placed, really like how they all flow in the same direction and are fitted toward one side and not centered. Personally I think you have too many stones, too many places for poo to hide and not be siphoned. Also asthetically the rocks look forced and unnatural.

Phillydubs
01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Wow gorgeous set up. When do you plan to add the heckles ??

Swedgin
01-29-2017, 01:12 AM
Aesthetically very pleasing, good luck with the project.

rickztahone
01-29-2017, 01:49 AM
your wood is nicely placed, really like how they all flow in the same direction and are fitted toward one side and not centered. Personally I think you have too many stones, too many places for poo to hide and not be siphoned. Also asthetically the rocks look forced and unnatural.

I kind of agree with this. Very beautiful setup but the stones would look better if they were more on the right and almost bare stone on the left. Maybe even take out a few. Other than thay, this is a wonderful set up

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2017, 08:52 AM
As suggested by Jacklyn and Ricardo, it is a really nice biotoe. The branches look like they naturally fell into their current positions but I too would suggest removing some of the rocks. I would pull the rock out from underneath the branches and arrange them along the outside where the tips of the branches are. Arrange in groups of two or three and do minimal stacking. Only one only stone after the wood stops towards the left. Moving the rocks away from the back will make the tank look deeper. :)
Pat

farebox
01-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Now that's the kind of tank I would love to have in my living room! For the stake of easy cleaning of the bottom, I would remove the stones, just my two cents. I got six Rio Negro Heckles (SM) from John four weeks ago, loving these little guys. So far all are healthy and doing great. Good luck with your tank and fish. Welcome to the wild side....

LoGeek
01-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Simple but yet so gorgeous tank!

DomiDiscus
01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Thank you everybody for the feedback! I also agree with removing some of the stones, I have been staring at the tank as of lately and thinking that there is too many stones. I'll get to rescaping tonight and show y'all the update.

Phillydubs, I don't have an exact date, but I'm hoping within a month or two.

Also, what do y'all feed your wilds?

jmf3460
01-29-2017, 07:30 PM
mine eat Al's FDBW mainly, occasionally they get frozen bloodworms, or live blackworms, and in the summer/fall they get all the live mosquito larvae I can find.

woopaul5
01-30-2017, 12:36 AM
I like the scape. Makes me wish I didn't have the huge center brace so I could start over.

Just like Jacklyn I feed mine Al's FDBW mostly with the occasional frozen blood worms and live white worms.

plecocicho
02-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Nice one, but i would ditch the stones are replace it with dry leaves (take Mike Tucci tank as a blueprint). Regarding feeding: veggie flakes, wild gran, dennerle granules (they have probiotic bacteria), fd blackworms, live daphnia, live mosquito larvae (both can be cultured outside (what your neighbours would say about it though...), live whiteworms, maybe live red cherry shrimps. I would ditch seafood/bh mix altogether.