PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Snack?

Dan99
01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Hi all I recently added some dither fish to my discus tank to hopefully bring them out a little more because they are always spooked. I added 9 rummynose tetra (thinking about getting 11 more) about 1.5 in long. I added them after feeding my discus well and doing a water change. I'm not sure if my discus are hunting them or just swimming towards them, but they keep moving as a school towards the tetras and scaring the tetras away, but still no harm done. See I thought discus were peaceful fish so putting the rummynose in would just be adding to the community but can anyone confirm if this was a good idea. I would hate to have all the tetras die.
My discus range from 4 - 5 " and I have 11 in my 90 gallon. I do daily water changes of 50%.

Phillydubs
01-28-2017, 09:47 PM
It is really hit or miss here. Most people don't have issue but some have given their fish a nice snack. Some will go after them others won't. If your guys are well fed it should be ok. Sounds like they are just checking them out now. They would do better as a bigger group.

Dan99
01-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Are you referring to the rummynose when you say they will do better in a bigger group?

Keith Perkins
01-28-2017, 11:26 PM
If your guys are well fed it should be ok.

Speaking from experience, it doesn't always work out this way Phil. My tetras met their maker when the discus started to spawn. Seems in some cases tetras really love small live food, and also in some cases discus parents will eliminate such threats. Fortunately for the last few tetras I had I caught them and rehomed them before the discus parents did.

Phillydubs
01-29-2017, 12:05 AM
Yes dan the rummies.

Keith you have me there I have zero experience as far as that's concerned so I defer to you.

xxalanxx
01-29-2017, 02:26 AM
I have tried it before. Really depends on your discus. I have had one group of discus which didn't bother them at all. And in the current group, i have lost 6 out of 7 Black Neon, 7 out of 7 cardinal tetra, 4 out of 7 neon tetra and 6 out of 7 rummy nose...

Mattgoanna
01-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Of all the discus I have kept over the years I have only ever had one very large wild discus kill tetras. I agree with keeping them out of a breeding tank. Rummynose are more robust than Cardinals, so they would need to work hard to get them.

bluelagoon
01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
The first day is the most likely time that larger fish will go after tiny fish.Smells like fresh meat to them.Once the tiny fish take on the scent of the tank,they should do better.But still at risk if mouth sized.I had a large school of rummies and ended up with half the first day.After that things calmed down.Might be best if you can hold them in a net or something else in the tank a day before releasing them in the main tank.Feed the discus well before hand.

Dan99
01-29-2017, 11:27 AM
So my rummies survived the night! Woohoo!!! :D My discus ignore them now. Does this mean I should be good to add more to their school to bump them up. I was hoping to bump them up to 30-40.

Phillydubs
01-29-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't see why not

Dan99
01-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Do you think the discus will chase after the new rummies if they don't have the "scent" of the tank? or will it be fine if they school with my existing ones.

bluelagoon
01-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Try just a few at first and find out.Still fresh meat.

Filip
01-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Final outcome can never be corectly prognosed Dan .
Many members here report longterm success , many report the first night of introduction as the" deadliest "(including my experience here ), and some have also reported "all well and good" until they went on vacation and their discus got hungry .
Just watch them closely for now and hope for the best .

John_Nicholson
01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Nothing in this world is more natural that one fish eating another. It is just how nature works.

-john

Arhm
01-30-2017, 09:44 AM
I have experienced a school of Danios that got their tails bitten off in the first week. Although i didnt see it happen, i did see the discus chasing them, so i kinda know who the culprit is.

The tail chomping would always happen at night when the lights were out.
But ever since i got my lighting hooked up the light stays on throughout the night and i havent had any problems since and now 2-3 weeks later their tails grew back perfectly. Now the Danios are starting to fatten up abit so i think they safe.... touch wood ;)