PDA

View Full Version : Cycling a brand new tank

zippy
01-29-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm planning on buying a new 65 gal tank, sponge filter and external filter. This tank will be for Discus. What would you suggest would be the best way to cycle everything before I introduce and Discus ?
Thanks,
Zippy

Ash92
01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
I'm planning on buying a new 65 gal tank, sponge filter and external filter. This tank will be for Discus. What would you suggest would be the best way to cycle everything before I introduce and Discus ?
Thanks,
Zippy

Hi buddy I'm doing this my self and these guys have helped alot I had a external but I traded it in I'm now sticking with sponge filters easy to maintain but with a external.. food gets sucked in and trapped and discus have a strong smell wich may stress them out because they can smell rotting food and they blow alot of micro bubbles around and again there not good in a discus tank but hey that's my opinion these guys might say am wrong everyone does things they can handle but all the best to you mate good luck

Lido
01-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Easy way to quickly cycle is just ask a friend or LFS to squeeze a lil filter media in a bag for you. Dump it in, give it a few weeks

Kirbs
01-29-2017, 06:05 PM
I'm in the final stages of cycling a 50 gallon by using the fishless method. I use ammonia from Ace. I have a sponge filter and an AC 70 HOB. I've done this several times and never had a problem. It can take several weeks to get things going though. DiscusPaul has "A Beginners Guide to Getting Started With Discus" on here. That's what I follow. HTH.

two utes
01-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Easy way to quickly cycle is just ask a friend or LFS to squeeze a lil filter media in a bag for you. Dump it in, give it a few weeks

This would work, but l wouldn't want to risk also transferring something l didn't want in my tank. I think adding ammonia of one sort or another would be best.

Ash92
01-29-2017, 06:37 PM
My first tank I cycled was with Cory cats worked well

Lido
01-29-2017, 07:03 PM
This would work, but l wouldn't want to risk also transferring something l didn't want in my tank. I think adding ammonia of one sort or another would be best.

The parasites you would worry about can't survive without a host. If you are worried about brain eating amoebas well then that friend or store would be out of business. You can buy clean bacteria. I wouldn't hesitate to give someone a part of my system and guarantee the safety.

Fishless cycles are great. They can just take months and it is totally possible that the beneficial bacteria goes through a mini cycle after you put fish in.

There are literally two options, add bacteria of some sort, whether in a bottle or from another tank or go fishless which requires a much more trained person.

I say, let it go for a week with some added bacteria of your choice, filter or bottle. Add one or two very cheap fish from a healthy source. After another week return them to the fish store and wait 10 days to put in fish. Ich or flukes can't live without a host.

two utes
01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
The parasites you would worry about can't survive without a host. If you are worried about brain eating amoebas well then that friend or store would be out of business. You can buy clean bacteria. I wouldn't hesitate to give someone a part of my system and guarantee the safety.

Fishless cycles are great. They can just take months and it is totally possible that the beneficial bacteria goes through a mini cycle after you put fish in.

There are literally two options, add bacteria of some sort, whether in a bottle or from another tank or go fishless which requires a much more trained person.

I say, let it go for a week with some added bacteria of your choice, filter or bottle. Add one or two very cheap fish from a healthy source. After another week return them to the fish store and wait 10 days to put in fish. Ich or flukes can't live without a host.

I see your point and thanks for the clarification. Yes you are right in saying fishless cycles can take awhile. I did one recently that took about 5 weeks or so. I was eager to get it cycled to bring in my new group, but now have no regrets on the results.

zippy
05-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Update : I started my fishless cycle on my 90 gal tank back on 3/6/17. Today after a 80 gal WC the tank water is 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates and the PH is 7.6. For the last two weeks I would add 1 to 2 tsp of ammonia each evening after readings of 0 ammonia, 0 to 2 Nitrites and around 80 Nitrates. The added ammonia would bring the ammonia reading up to around 3 to 4. The next evening it would be back down again to 0. During this time I did 1 or 2 WCs. The PH today after the WC was 7.6. I forgot to check the PH before I did the WC. I replaced the tank water directly from the tap, tap water PH was 7.7. I used Seachem Safe to remove the Chlorine and treated for 90 gals. Tank temperature is a constant 84 - 85 degrees. The tank is a BB with two pieces of draft wood. The only concern I have is the water seems to get cloudy between water changes any ideas ?

I think I'm ready for my Discus :-))))). What do you think ?
Zippy

fishermn7
05-01-2017, 03:50 PM
I did the fishless with ammonia and a product called Activate by aquarium life support. Had nitrates after 4 days, if used correctly the bacteria products do work saved me a lot of time!!

Ryan925
05-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Update : I started my fishless cycle on my 90 gal tank back on 3/6/17. Today after a 80 gal WC the tank water is 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates and the PH is 7.6. For the last two weeks I would add 1 to 2 tsp of ammonia each evening after readings of 0 ammonia, 0 to 2 Nitrites and around 80 Nitrates. The added ammonia would bring the ammonia reading up to around 3 to 4. The next evening it would be back down again to 0. During this time I did 1 or 2 WCs. The PH today after the WC was 7.6. I forgot to check the PH before I did the WC. I replaced the tank water directly from the tap, tap water PH was 7.7. I used Seachem Safe to remove the Chlorine and treated for 90 gals. Tank temperature is a constant 84 - 85 degrees. The tank is a BB with two pieces of draft wood. The only concern I have is the water seems to get cloudy between water changes any ideas ?

I think I'm ready for my Discus :-))))). What do you think ?
Zippy

Maybe your driftwood is causing the cloudiness

matt2426
05-01-2017, 05:25 PM
https://angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

I would suggest this this is what I'm going to do I'm staring a new tank also just getting back into the hobby this looks like the easiest and safest way hope this helps

Jenene
05-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Your readings show you are ready but a little concerned about the cloudines. With discus you will be changing water daily so I am thinking you will be fine. The new pre- shipment list will be out very shortly. Why not do some daily changes in the meantime to test the theory?

zippy
05-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Jenene, ........... 6:03 am, do you ever sleep :-)))))))))) Thanks for the advise ...............

My plan is to see if the tank clouds up again after this latest WC. If the tank clouds up again I'll do another couple of daily WCs, If I don't see an improvement I'll pull the drift wood out and do another WC to see if the drift wood could be the issue.

I can't wait for Kenny's next shipment.........
Zippy

tonytheboss1
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
:bandana: Here's an oldie but still a goodie..... http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-Only-Nitrifying-Bacteria-for-Freshwater-Aquaria_p_3.html . Have used this product successfully numerous times for both new starts & additions to existing tanks. "T"