PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood questions.

Lido
01-29-2017, 11:01 PM
So I purchased some driftwood about a month ago. I have boiled it for 6 hours and now have it sunk down to the bottom of my aquarium held down by rocks. Has anyone experienced it taking this long to have driftwood not stay submerged?

Secondly, I got this other piece of driftwood from a friend but can't identify what type of tree it is from or if it is aquarium safe. Anyone know?

LoGeek
01-30-2017, 06:48 AM
I have a large driftwood that is still floating after 6 months. I've attached suction cups underneath it to hold it to my bare bottom.

Yom
01-30-2017, 02:52 PM
It is not uncommon for driftwood to never sink, there are several methods to assist with the sinking. 1. as mentioned screw a couple small screws into the wood and push suction cups onto the screw heads. 2. silicone (I use Goop) magnets to the wood and then under the bottom of the tank; requires an open stand under the bottom pane of glass. 3. obtain a piece of slate from your LFS, use a cement drill bit and drill a hole through it and then screw it onto the bottom of your wood.

That is a nice (and interesting) piece in your pic, don't know what type it is. Best thing to do is find a tote or garbage can large enough to soak it in. Test your water before and then periodically for changes in PH and TDS. Also smell your water and the wood. If your water starts to foul or your wood gets slimy change out the water, new Mopani wood tends to do that when you season it.