PDA

View Full Version : Cycling my tank help!

Ash92
02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
HI guys I'm a week in to cycling my tank I test everyday I have no nitrite or nitrate but a Little ammonia, still in the green zone wich is good. my discus are ready to collect ino with juveniles it's a water change daily a large amount.
I'm debating to go get them what do u think, this is the stuff i use to cycle my tank 106641

MendoMan
02-01-2017, 12:52 PM
The presence of nitrite is the second phase of cycling and the presence of nitrate , other than what comes in your tap water, is the sign of a complete cycle. A fishes cycle can take up to three weeks before nitrite is present and up to six weeks to be complete. For a fishless cycle to become complete you will need to maintain 2 to 4 PPM of ammonia. Your ammonia will be fairly consistent until the newly formed bacteria begins digesting it into nitrite that is when you will have to began adding ammonia daily to keep the cycle going. When after 24 hours of adding you have no ammonia or nitrite and your nitrates are climbing you ready for fish. You'll get all kinds of different advice but this is how a fishless cycle works.

Ash92
02-01-2017, 01:06 PM
The presence of nitrite is the second phase of cycling and the presence of nitrate , other than what comes in your tap water, is the sign of a complete cycle. A fishes cycle can take up to three weeks before nitrite is present and up to six weeks to be complete. For a fishless cycle to become complete you will need to maintain 2 to 4 PPM of ammonia. Your ammonia will be fairly consistent until the newly formed bacteria begins digesting it into nitrite that is when you will have to began adding ammonia daily to keep the cycle going. When after 24 hours of adding you have no ammonia or nitrite and your nitrates are climbing you ready for fish. You'll get all kinds of different advice but this is how a fishless cycle works.

Here in the uk no were sells ammonia for aquariums so all I'm adding is the water life stuff what's in the post

Akili
02-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Here in the uk no were sells ammonia for aquariums so all I'm adding is the water life stuff what's in the postI use regular Household Ammonia. In UK you can get it from Homebase. In the cleaning products section they have their own value brand. Just called household ammonia,a bottle will last you ages

MendoMan
02-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Here in the uk no were sells ammonia for aquariums so all I'm adding is the water life stuff what's in the post
That would be a problem. I had no idea ammonia isn't available for you. Guess that shoots down the traditional fishes cycle. I see another post came in while I was sending. He says it's available, just be sure to get plain unscented with no additives if you find it.

Ash92
02-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Really and truthfully it don't want to add straight ammonia to my tank ��any other suggestions? I don't have any other tanks with spair sponges I don't trust getting it full anyone else either what other ways. shall I put a couple Cory cats in there to cycle abit fast?

Clawhammer
02-01-2017, 01:45 PM
No ammonia, no cycle.

MendoMan
02-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Really and truthfully it don't want to add straight ammonia to my tank ��any other suggestions? I don't have any other tanks with spair sponges I don't trust getting it full anyone else either what other ways. shall I put a couple Cory cats in there to cycle abit fast?
Sure you could put any kind of fish you want in there and let them provide the ammonia BUT you run a chance of cross contamination. It would be a shame to begin your discus experience trying to cure sick fish. Why is it you don't want to add the few drops it takes to reach the low PPM's required? I'm just curious.

Ash92
02-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Sure you could put any kind of fish you want in there and let them provide the ammonia BUT you run a chance of cross contamination. It would be a shame to begin your discus experience trying to cure sick fish. Why is it you don't want to add the few drops it takes to reach the low PPM's required? I'm just curious.

I really don't no to be honest I live in a small town and it will be hard to get stuff like that I read up and people say put fish food in your aquarium that will produce ammonia and nitrite or isn't that worth doing?

DJW
02-01-2017, 02:00 PM

Putting corys in the tank is not a good idea, they won't provide enough bioload and they can be carrying something. If you can't find ammonia cleaning solution there is a similar product in the UK called Waterlife Biomature. It looks like it has ammonia in it. Dosing with ammonia is fine as long as the tank has no fish in it. Another source of ammonia is ammonium chloride powder, which can be ordered online here in the states, but I'm not sure about getting it in the UK.

Ash92
02-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Putting corys in the tank is not a good idea, they won't provide enough bioload and they can be carrying something. If you can't find ammonia cleaning solution there is a similar product in the UK called Waterlife Biomature. It looks like it has ammonia in it. Dosing with ammonia is fine as long as the tank has no fish in it. Another source of ammonia is ammonium chloride powder, which can be ordered online here in the states, but I'm not sure about getting it in the UK.

That water life you said above isit the same brand as what I posted in the pic ?

Paul Sabucchi
02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
The whole point of cycling a tank is to get it ready to transform the ammonia that any fish will excrete into less toxic substances. When you get your fish THEY WILL RELEASE AMMONIA in the tank, if it is not ready to transform it rapidly and efficiently the fish will basically poison themselves. You can do a fishless cycle adding fish food, but it is longer and messier. As other members have stated the only way to be sure that your tank is ready for fish is when you add ammonia up to 4 parts per million and within 24 hours there is no ammonia or nitrites left in the tank, just nitrates. At that point you do a good water-change and then you can put the fish in. The product you have pisted MAY be a good source of nitrifying bacteria, but how can you be sure it is 100% effective. I left the UK 11 years ago and up to then never had any problems finding ammonia to start a tank. Ciao

Ash92
02-01-2017, 03:21 PM
The whole point of cycling a tank is to get it ready to transform the ammonia that any fish will excrete into less toxic substances. When you get your fish THEY WILL RELEASE AMMONIA in the tank, if it is not ready to transform it rapidly and efficiently the fish will basically poison themselves. You can do a fishless cycle adding fish food, but it is longer and messier. As other members have stated the only way to be sure that your tank is ready for fish is when you add ammonia up to 4 parts per million and within 24 hours there is no ammonia or nitrites left in the tank, just nitrates. At that point you do a good water-change and then you can put the fish in. The product you have pisted MAY be a good source of nitrifying bacteria, but how can you be sure it is 100% effective. I left the UK 11 years ago and up to then never had any problems finding ammonia to start a tank. Ciao

So if u lived in the uk can you please state some brands because this is the only way to cycle.

DJW
02-01-2017, 03:34 PM
That water life you said above isit the same brand as what I posted in the pic ?

Here it is...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Aquariums-Accessories/Waterlife-Biomature-100ml-Aquarium-Tank-Filter-Starter/B00IAJ3LRW

Ash92
02-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Thank you buddy