PDA

View Full Version : Tail standing, please help

Martin in China
02-01-2017, 07:38 PM
About 2 weeks ago I spot some of my Discus getting a bit dark, I though nothing to worry about, just keep up my daily 90% water change. I did however put the temperature 2 degrees higher (from 30 celsius to 32).
A week ago I saw some tiny white pieces floating around in the tank, I placed a few under the microscope and I could see something that looks like a tiny lice and a worm with a flat triangle shaped head, so I started treading for that.... now after 4 days 3 out of 7 fish are doing the tail stand dance.

What is happening to my fish, please help.

Water temp.: 32 degree Celsius
pH: 7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: non detectable

brewmaster15
02-01-2017, 09:59 PM
About 2 weeks ago I spot some of my Discus getting a bit dark, I though nothing to worry about, just keep up my daily 90% water change. I did however put the temperature 2 degrees higher (from 30 celsius to 32).
A week ago I saw some tiny white pieces floating around in the tank, I placed a few under the microscope and I could see something that looks like a tiny lice and a worm with a flat triangle shaped head, so I started treading for that.... now after 4 days 3 out of 7 fish are doing the tail stand dance.

What is happening to my fish, please help.

Water temp.: 32 degree Celsius
pH: 7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: non detectable

Hi Martin,
What medication did you treat with? Some of these like Fenbendazole for ex. have been known to cause tail standing in Discus .

al

Martin in China
02-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Hi Martin,
What medication did you treat with? Some of these like Fenbendazole for ex. have been known to cause tail standing in Discus .

al

I would love to tell you what the medication is, but as I am in China, you kinda get an all purpose medicine for Anchor worms, fish lice and more of that.... my best guess is that it has a Fenbendazole base.
I've used this medicine in my planted tank once with good results, except that it killed my shrimp, which it claims not to do.

Martin in China
02-03-2017, 11:36 PM
The treatment stopped now for 2 days and the kids are showing good signs of recovery, one is still staring at the ceiling and not eating.

rickztahone
02-03-2017, 11:50 PM
Do you have any pics?

Martin in China
02-04-2017, 12:44 PM
I can shoot some pics tomorrow

Martin in China
02-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Martin in China
02-06-2017, 05:33 AM
Every day the guys look better and better, the ceiling isn't interested anymore and the guys color is looking almost normal again also the fins aren't flat.... I'm amazed how strong these fish actually are and how fast they bounce back.

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Thats great. People who reported this symptom in fish treated with fenbendazole in their water saw slow but steady recovery in the fish that survived. Hopefully your fish will survive the ordeal fine in time.

Al