scrappinjaime
02-03-2017, 08:52 PM
to quarantine 2 4" and one 5" fish?

LizStreithorst
02-03-2017, 09:03 PM
not close to big enough.

Lido
02-03-2017, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't do it. The perimeters can change too quickly. I never use anything under 30 gallons

LizStreithorst
02-03-2017, 10:33 PM
She could get away with a 20 if she really knew what she was doing. Since she had to ask the question at all leads me to believe that she'd be better off with a 29 or 30.

scrappinjaime
02-03-2017, 10:53 PM
That's what I though, I have a 10 and was hoping to get away with that. Off to petco. Thank you

LizStreithorst
02-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Sorry...If you lived close I could loan you a new 29 or a used 30. Either would do.

I think the dimensions of a 30 would make a better QT tank than the dimensions of a 29. The height of a 29 makes it a better breeding tank but it would do for QT.

scrappinjaime
02-03-2017, 11:14 PM
No worries, they are pretty inexpensive.

RogueDiscus
02-03-2017, 11:32 PM
If you were closer I'd give you a great deal on one of my 29s :)

Willie
02-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Most of us think 6 weeks when we quarantine, so that's why you're getting suggestions of 29 and 30 gal tanks. To treat disease, I like 10-gal tanks. But those treatments seldom last a week.

Willie

Filip
02-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Most of us think 6 weeks when we quarantine, so that's why you're getting suggestions of 29 and 30 gal tanks. To treat disease, I like 10-gal tanks. But those treatments seldom last a week.

Willie

Willie , i guess you are refering to a single grown up discus treatment in 10 G right ?

I just got burned up pretty baddly underastimating the amonia and nitrite spikes that can occurre very quickly during QT treatments with BB killing antibiotics , so thats why im asking for your experiences in treating discus in only 10 G Qts .

Willie
02-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Willie , i guess you are refering to a single grown up discus treatment in 10 G right ?

I just got burned up pretty baddly underastimating the amonia and nitrite spikes that can occurre very quickly during QT treatments with BB killing antibiotics , so thats why im asking for your experiences in treating discus in only 10 G Qts .

Yes, that's what usually happens. A discus doesn't look right and it goes into a 10 G Quarantine. I like high temperature, high salt and 3 treatments for sick fish so a 10 G tank is easier to handle.

I have a pleco breeding tank where I keep a ton of sponges. So the quarantine tank also gets a small sponge filter to maintain nitrogen cycle. After treatment, I take the sponge out. It gets dried out before going back to the pleco tank.

Even when I put fish through kanamycin or tetracycline, I don't get spikes. Perhaps your water is high in pH, so that ammonia predominates over ammonium?

Willie

Filip
02-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Yes, that's what usually happens. A discus doesn't look right and it goes into a 10 G Quarantine. I like high temperature, high salt and 3 treatments for sick fish so a 10 G tank is easier to handle.

I have a pleco breeding tank where I keep a ton of sponges. So the quarantine tank also gets a small sponge filter to maintain nitrogen cycle. After treatment, I take the sponge out. It gets dried out before going back to the pleco tank.

Even when I put fish through kanamycin or tetracycline, I don't get spikes. Perhaps your water is high in pH, so that ammonia predominates over ammonium?

Willie

Yes i have a very hard water 330 TDS with a PH of 7.2 , treated with nitrofurazone based med. and most importantly i way ovrestocked my QT tank, 3 times more than your above described routine .

HarryDk
02-08-2017, 12:23 AM
This bring me back to the time I tried to QT 5 x2" juvies, doing 60% wc daily with regular feeding, first 5 days nothing happen, 6th day ammo is 1ppm, nearly kill them lol, luckily didn't.

Willie
02-08-2017, 12:15 PM
This bring me back to the time I tried to QT 5 x2" juvies, doing 60% wc daily with regular feeding, first 5 days nothing happen, 6th day ammo is 1ppm, nearly kill them lol, luckily didn't.

Juvies put out a ton of ammonia through their gills and are more susceptible to ammonia spikes, so you had the perfect storm going.

Willie